Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Demo

Pretend Command Sgt. Maj. BlitzCanuck's Avatar

Re: Demo

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tortorice View Post
    So am I. I needed to replay the tutorial before I got a handle on the orders system. Now I am more comfortable with how it all works.

Thanks!
    I'm getting there too. I'm becoming rather fond of the 'engage' command for tank platoons. seems to give subordinates a bit more flexibility at the start of the reaction phase.
    "I'm not going to sit back in absentia and watch some Tammy Fae tabloid waving egofart call me a liar" - Blitz Wargaming Club officer addressing one of the members

Forum Conscript

I gave up on it really quickly having completely failed to get to grips with the orders system, but having read these posts I will have another go.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by carl_render View Post
    I gave up on it really quickly having completely failed to get to grips with the orders system, but having read these posts I will have another go.
    Think of it as following the chain of command downwards. You give orders to the platoon CO, which gives all subunits that command. Then if you want go to any or all subunits and alter their path or the target.
    All your tanks are belong to us.

Noob Recruit

That whole platoon things is bugging me. It seems to add very little but is a hassle to deal with if I want to guide one of the subordinate units to a given location while the rest remains in place.
    Just let me click on the guy I want moved without going though the Co. How it is now I apparently must prevent the rest of the platoon from relocating as I order that one out of place unit to where it should be through the CO.
    It seems such an unneeded hassle that I think I am missing something. What does it add? What am I doing wrong?

It seems to move just unit X I must select HQ>give unneeded move order>select unit X>give desired move order>select HQ again plus unit Y and Z>cancel unneeded orders to have them remain in place.
    That is so very weird and awkward.

Aside from that I like how the game plays, so far. I will put the demo though it's paces a bit more to see what I can make this puppy do, though.
    GUI not the most informative/detailed out there, but it will do.
    In the inevitable comparison to Combat Mission, it would appear Panzer Command has some catching up to do in the combat portrayal department.
    But I am impressed by the games overall feature lists, especially stuff like the campaigns. Seems to offer a lot of freedom and longevity. This is where you guys seem to come out tops by a large margin.

I think I might see my way to coughing up coin for this game.
    Last edited by Elmar Bijlsma; 09 May 11 at 16:28.

Forum Conscript

Hi Elmar,

Quote Originally Posted by Elmar Bijlsma View Post
    That whole platoon things is bugging me. It seems to add very little but is a hassle to deal with if I want to guide one of the subordinate units to a given location while the rest remains in place.
    Just let me click on the guy I want moved without going though the Co. How it is now I apparently must prevent the rest of the platoon from relocating as I order that one out of place unit to where it should be through the CO.
    It seems such an unneeded hassle that I think I am missing something. What does it add? What am I doing wrong?
    They won't all move unless you are changing the platoon Base order. For example, if the platoon is set to Defend and you change them to Rush, then they will all initially follow the path set for the HQ and try to stay in formation. Once you get used to this, it actually speeds things up. If however the platoon was set to Defend and you told the HQ to Defend -> Move, the rest would not follow unless you used the Shift key to tell them that you wanted it to be a platoon-wide order. The most flexible order is Engage, which allows some vehicles or squads to be stationary, others to move and others to fire. If your whole platoon is set to Engage orders, changing to one of the sub-orders will not affect anyone but the individual vehicle or squad you are ordering (again, unless you use the Shift key).

Aside from that I like how the game plays, so far. I will put the demo though it's paces a bit more to see what I can make this puppy do, though.
    GUI not the most informative/detailed out there, but it will do.
    In the inevitable comparison to Combat Mission, it would appear Panzer Command has some catching up to do in the combat portrayal department.
    But I am impressed by the games overall feature lists, especially stuff like the campaigns. Seems to offer a lot of freedom and longevity. This is where you guys seem to come out tops by a large margin.

I think I might see my way to coughing up coin for this game.
    Glad to hear you are having some fun! The orders can definitely be non-intuitive, but once you get used to the idea the rest of the game opens up. I hope you enjoy the rest of the demo and join us for the full game.

Regards,

- Erik
    Director of Product Development and Business Relations, Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com)

For official support, please go to www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk

Noob Recruit

I must admit that I failed to RTFM. So yeah, I probably was doing it all wrong. But no, novice friendly the UI is not. No doubt once I unlock its secrets it will prove worth it.

Forum Guardian

Actually it is very novice friendly if you have never played a tactical WW2 combat game. If this is your first, it's probably no worse than leaning CM2 for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by thewood View Post
    Actually it is very novice friendly if you have never played a tactical WW2 combat game. If this is your first, it's probably no worse than leaning CM2 for the first time.
    I can't quarrel with that, but both are a step or more back from CM x 1, which is still the gold standard for tactical (and especially 3D tactical) computer wargames.
    "There is a lot of guilt in the world. Flowers can be big money!" Angel Martin

Kampfgruppe Vice Kommandir

Kampfgruppe - A war gaming clan since 1998

The biggest problem we had with the previous versions was getting people to not think CM when playing PC. Even I had that problem when I first started. Second biggest was that once they got over that, they still didn't like the game. But there were some that loved PC and didn't ever care for CM. Hopefully the improvements will be enough for some of you to at least give it a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by junk2drive View Post
    The biggest problem we had with the previous versions was getting people to not think CM when playing PC. Even I had that problem when I first started. Second biggest was that once they got over that, they still didn't like the game. But there were some that loved PC and didn't ever care for CM. Hopefully the improvements will be enough for some of you to at least give it a chance.
    Fair enough, especially on light of the fact that Matrix is providing me with a free fully upgraded game.
    "There is a lot of guilt in the world. Flowers can be big money!" Angel Martin

Kampfgruppe Vice Kommandir

Kampfgruppe - A war gaming clan since 1998

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast