Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Demo

Demo

Just in case any test team members wander in here, the latest version of the demo is ready. It could be the final version so we need it looked over. Thanks.

Spec Op Clergy ADMIN Scott Tortorice's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Demo

Not to preempt J2D, but it appears the demo is released :

headline story

Looking forward to trying it this weekend!
    Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer!
    Latest Entry: Frenetic Gaming

Thanks Scott. I was at work so you did well to post this. Thanks for putting the news on the front page too.

Pretend Command Sgt. Maj. BlitzCanuck's Avatar

***WARNING- SPOILERS***

I'm enjoying the demo but unfortunately the tutorial guide is nearly useless.
    From viewing the forums it seems i'm not the only one that found it impossible to follow the guide as the arty barrage prevents you from moving your units in the prescribed manner. That and also the fact that the Russian ATG's get nice easy flank shots if you order your tanks to go where the guide says to. I lost four of the five panzers to the ATG's and a very early end to the scenario (decisive loss).
    Next try i ordered the panzers to move fast to what i thought was some safe cover behind trees. Nope. I guess winter scenario means the trees don't cover much. Another defeat.
    Third try i played on normal instead of easy but this time i didn't try to follow the guide. I moved everything directly toward the ATG's and area fired all the tanks. I still lost one and had another take a track hit for reduced mobility but took out both ATG's and ended up with a decisive victory. Winning is fun.

Also, it would've been nice if the tutorial included a few tidbits like how to find the list of hotkeys, how to toggle trees and grass as well as the size of the 3d icons.
    Not a big deal. I just started pressing keys to see what effect they had so i was able to work it all out on my own.
    But as it stands now, the tutorial guide isn't really worth the ink to print it out, which i did.

The other scenario is pretty good. Should be a lot of fun versus a human opponent.
    Last edited by BlitzCanuck; 07 May 11 at 15:36. Reason: to add spoilers warning
    "I'm not going to sit back in absentia and watch some Tammy Fae tabloid waving egofart call me a liar" - Blitz Wargaming Club officer addressing one of the members

Thanks for the feedback.

I suppose I should probably RTFM but I'm not sure I understand what I am doing. I played around some last night but am making a more serious attempt to play now. I am in the T3 order phase and almost all my units have only a "Defend" list of options. For the first 2 turns it was all of the units. Now the infantry CO seems to have more options

(I'm playing the tutorial battle)
    "Certainly takes a lot more effort to simulate each soldier down to individual bullets than it is to make a piece of cardboard that says "2-3-5"
    "Like most Ginzos, you are just too stupid to fall for my mean streak." NUTTERNAME

Depending on the original order your units will end their order and revert to defend status. The next time that you can give orders, you give the order to the CO and the subbies will change to that status as well. With PC you have to think more of platoon orders than squad orders. You don't click on your squads first, you click your CO first. Then if you want to adjust a squad to move here instead of there you can.

Quote Originally Posted by junk2drive View Post
    Depending on the original order your units will end their order and revert to defend status. The next time that you can give orders, you give the order to the CO and the subbies will change to that status as well. With PC you have to think more of platoon orders than squad orders. You don't click on your squads first, you click your CO first. Then if you want to adjust a squad to move here instead of there you can.
    Cool. Thanks.
    "Certainly takes a lot more effort to simulate each soldier down to individual bullets than it is to make a piece of cardboard that says "2-3-5"
    "Like most Ginzos, you are just too stupid to fall for my mean streak." NUTTERNAME

Blog Entries

I just gave the demo a try and I have to say I am really impressed! I don't play very many wargames these days, but I could definitely see myself investing some time with this title! I particularly like the platoon-based order system.

I did see one graphics glitch: in the tutorial, a Soviet fighter-bombers swooped overhead and dropped a bomb...and then proceeded to dive into and through the ground, only to re-emerge a second or two later. Boy...those Sov fighters were built tough! Just FYI.

Blog Entries

I haven't had a chance to read through the entirety of the tutorial doc, so I apologize if these two questions are covered there:

1) Is there a way to fine tune the movement of a platoon's elements? For example, in the tutorial, I wanted my infantry platoon to move to a clump of trees. After plotting the movement order, the HQ element and one other unit headed to where I wanted them to go, but the unit on the far left flank wound up ending its movement in a patch of open ground...where it, of course, got slaughtered. Is there a way I could have tweaked that unit's movement path?

2) Can I issue multiple order types? For example, can I tell a unit to "advance" to the first waypoint and then "bound" to the second waypoint?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast