Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First look at Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online

Spec Op Clergy ADMIN Scott Tortorice's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Re: First look at Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online

This whole concept just has *FAIL* written all over it. Nothing in the list, nor in that video, seemed interesting. Just another third person MMO where everybody is gonna run around doing quests like its some sort of crazy cosplay sci-fi convention.
    Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer!
    Latest Entry: Board Game Glory: Ogre

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Yeah... they really need to exterminate the RPG elements like the inquisition exterminating a rebellious world. You know what....****-it, I'm gonna mention it again. They really need to see the template for an FPS-MMO that Planetside used. I really cannot stress it enough how that game was really innovative in respect to leveling and obtaining gear/skills/perks/etc. It was easy, fun, and everyone found a niche or it was filled if there was a need for it on the battlefield. In translation to playing the game itself, there was a command hierarchy starting with a squad leader. Infantry were needed to capture towers and bases, the variety of weapons meant that there was no real spam of one or the other (tho that could be strongly argued again), and every armor set was used to make the be use of the weapons the players obtained through leveling and use of their cert points. Look at my character for example. I made sure I had access to most of the weapons available as well as the armor so I can fit into any role needed. Here are a few other members of the outfit I played with so you can see how different everyone's play styles are:
    ch0wdah, BCKrogoth, DracneirTR. It seems that they are being too specific with the game and I feel that they're going to kill the game. Also, I was reading elsewhere that they should look at Guild War 2 and Planetside 2 (yay!) for inspiration on how to make a good quality MMO. What are the Tyranid NPC's going to do? Hover just outside of some... fort and the player is told by the fort commander to go and eliminate the threat because they always attack the fort and yet the fort look pristine. I hope they drop the RPG crap which won't happen, and use Guild Wars 2's event system which would make the game remotely interesting.

Also, I don't see some aspect of what they're trying to do translate over into an MMO setting. First off, the Guard, Orks, and Tryanids are essentially mob based factions (though you can contest the guard and maybe even add the Tau in this group). Having players control individuals really demeans the whole aspect of those races. Something more ala tactical shooters with developed support AI is the best route. Games like Ghost Recon/Brothers in Arms are good examples of this. That would be good for the mob races. The Space Marines, Eldar, Tau, Chaos , Dark Eldar, and Necrons seem more akin to being able to be played and controlled individually (although, again, the Tau as a possible mob race). Through this way, balance can be achieved, each faction will retain their uniqueness and playing each race will be markedly different from the other races from the 40k Universe, and you could still get the large epic battles the 40k is famous for (Planetside had these and to participate in them was something to behold).
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."
    Good Tunes

Chief Defender of the Faith ADMIN Dr Zaius's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

This is starting to look like WoW with space marines. [sigh]
    "I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself." - Dr. Zaius

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Thank the Undying Emperor!

Warhammer 40k Dark Millennium No Longer An MMO

Phew! This was shaping up to be an unmitigated disaster anyway. I just wonder how THQ is gonna distinguish it from Space Marine. Seems like THQ has had too many 40K pots on the fire lately. As far as I am concerned, none of the recent 40K games have been as good as the original DoW.

Chief Defender of the Faith ADMIN Dr Zaius's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tortorice View Post
    This was shaping up to be an unmitigated disaster anyway.
    The night is young.
    "I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself." - Dr. Zaius

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Agree with Scott on seeing it dumped as an MMO. They really appeared to be adding to much of that MMO crap ala hit points and not what Planetside (2) has/had. (Now that both of you have seen the gameplay videos for PS2, you see what I meant by their idea of WoW-like combat being a dumb idea.)

And maybe we'll see this evolve into a quasi-massive multiplayer online shooter in a cross between Battlefield and Planetside... so to speak. It's not an MMO but allows a large amount of people to play simultaneously but has more races, vehicles, etc.
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."
    Good Tunes

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by kawaiku View Post
    Agree with Scott on seeing it dumped as an MMO. They really appeared to be adding to much of that MMO crap ala hit points and not what Planetside (2) has/had. (Now that both of you have seen the gameplay videos for PS2, you see what I meant by their idea of WoW-like combat being a dumb idea.)

And maybe we'll see this evolve into a quasi-massive multiplayer online shooter in a cross between Battlefield and Planetside... so to speak. It's not an MMO but allows a large amount of people to play simultaneously but has more races, vehicles, etc.
    I am really amazed that we have yet to see a single 40K shooter. I mean, there was one: - Fire Warrior, which was pretty bad by all accounts - but that is it. I would think a 40K shooter along the lines of Battlefield or PS2 would be a no-brainer. IMO, that would be the only possible way to make a 40K MMO that is faithful to the epic battles that are part and parcel of the universe.

Thought experiment: how quickly would the servers melt down when "Imperial Guard: the F2P 40K MMO Shooter" was announced? Unfortunately, because THQ seems to specialize with RTS games, I don't think we will see a FPS for a long time. The genre isn't part of THQ's portfolio.

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tortorice View Post
    I am really amazed that we have yet to see a single 40K shooter. I mean, there was one: - Fire Warrior, which was pretty bad by all accounts - but that is it. I would think a 40K shooter along the lines of Battlefield or PS2 would be a no-brainer. IMO, that would be the only possible way to make a 40K MMO that is faithful to the epic battles that are part and parcel of the universe.
    Yeah it's rather surprising to not have one yet when the 40K universe practically screams for one.

Thought experiment: how quickly would the servers melt down when "Imperial Guard: the F2P 40K MMO Shooter" was announced? Unfortunately, because THQ seems to specialize with RTS games, I don't think we will see a FPS for a long time. The genre isn't part of THQ's portfolio.
    They wouldn't melt down... everyone would be dying to quickly to really tax the servers. That would be because everyone would rage quit after 10 deaths for not being able to do much except get shot and killed.... or other horribly-imagined deaths.
    Good Tunes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2