Thread: TOAW III Scenario Editor BETA

Forum Conscript

TOAW III Scenario Editor BETA

Send me a PM or post here if you're interested in BETA testing this.

Limitations

1. Can't currently create scenarios. If you dump out an empty "New Scenario" from TOAW, the Editor will automatically create a single Formation and Unit for both forces but nothing else will be set. In fact's it an OOB editor at the moment and not much else.

2. Doesn't currently handle unassigned units. They'll be added to a Formation called "Unassigned" and by implication written back out belonging to that formation (so no longer being unassigned as far as TOAW is concerned).

3. Doesn't handle split Units. You'll get a crash.

4. Changing deployment fields is currently disabled for units. So you can't change location or status. I had some crashes with TOAW when it attempted to read "my" scenarios where I'd been playing with the data.

5. Activation Turn for a formation. Doesn't appear to be supported in the XML. You can set it when the Formation orders are changed appropriately but when saving and loading SCE files the changed value will disappear. Obviously while working with XML only, the value will be saved and reloaded correctly but it can't be "got" back in to TOAW.

6. Linking to the Viewer and Equipment Editor. This is more in an Alpha than Beta state. If "Linking" is turned off in the "Options" tab, then the two "Apps" should function exactly like their stand-alone brethren. With "linking" on the idea is to keep the apps in sync but for performance reasons probably only tied to the "save" in the Viewer's case. That is, once you save a scenario in the Editor the idea is that the Viewer will "rebuild" its information or alternatively (again for performance reasons) it could be a requirement that the user actions a reload rather than it being automatic.

7. Not so much a limitation but a point to note. Loading performance for SCE files (and saving for that matter) slows considerably with larger maps. Obviously while beta testing this editor, there will be a need to edit, save and check the SCE files in TOAW but once past that stage, it's probably going to be better practice to work with the XML at the start or (depending on your workflow) to develop the OOB against a scenario that has a small empty map.

8. Adding equipment. This is an area that I think needs some usability improvements. It feels a little clumsy adding equipment at the moment so I'm open to any suggestions that people have in this area.

Points 1-4 and 6 (& 8 hopefully) are fixable. Point 5 will need some input from Ralph and point 7 is something that will have to be lived with.

Attached is a screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: TOAW III Scenario Editor BETA

I see you've used my M-G scenario in the screenshot
    I plan to do a 'ligh't version of this scenario using battalions as the base unit instead of the current companies.

If the beta version will allow me to adjust the no of equipment in each unit, change unit size and delete surplus units in formations I will be happy to give your editor a try.

Erik

Forum Conscript

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Nygaard View Post
    I see you've used my M-G scenario in the screenshot
    Yep . I started down this road because I wanted to do a "what-if the 1st Airborne had landed closer to Arnhem" version, so I dumped out an OOB edited it by hand and then loaded it back in to TOAW which promptly crashed.

If the beta version will allow me to adjust the no of equipment in each unit, change unit size and delete surplus units in formations I will be happy to give your editor a try.
    You can certainly adjust the amount of equipment, size and add/delete units/formations in the beta version. The question is do you need some sort of "batch" update? For example, you can set the unit size for all units in a formation, all units in a force or all units in both forces in one go. However, currently it supports absolute values only i.e. it's a question of "make everything company-size" rather than "reduce everything by one step".

I'll PM you the download link.

Edit: Or more accurately in this case it would be "make everything battalion-size" rather than "increase everything by one step".
    Last edited by parmenio; 15 Dec 09 at 11:42.

I do not need any batch functions, there are too many exceptions in the OOB to go for an overall battalion size.

I have used a XML editor for exchanging all equipment in all my WWII-scenarios to Brian Wilson's WWII-equipemtn database using the F4/F5 import/export functions.
    But I would rather use something a bit more user-friendly for the this task. It is too easy to inadvertently add some formatting error while editing the OOB in the XML editor and then TOAW may choke on it and crash.

Erik

Forum Conscript

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Nygaard View Post
    But I would rather use something a bit more user-friendly for the this task. It is too easy to inadvertently add some formatting error while editing the OOB in the XML editor and then TOAW may choke on it and crash.
    Hopefully what I've done is a step up from XmlPad...

Forum Conscript

I'm going to be putting any further development on this to one side for the foreseeable future.

It has proved impossible to add creating a scenario - it either hangs the app or creates an invalid SCE file (even though the XML is ok). Interim working with XML-only for performance reasons doesn't work either. If you've previously loaded a SCE file (and now opened a different XML file) you can get a merged version of the two and if you haven't it hangs.

The usability of adding equipment had been vastly improved as well as linking to the Viewer and Equipment Editor and deployment (albeit just setting the status and X/Y location) was almost there as well.

The issues with creation / working with XML aren't the show-stopper though since an empty new scenario can be created in the current editor. The problem lies in the XML definition in the OOB - in how equipment items are identified. They are identified by name which is fine as long as those names can be matched against the actual item from the equipment database or TOAW executable. The problem comes with characters that aren't plain good old English a-z (or A-Z for that matter) and character encoding. If the string doesn't exactly match, the equipment item doesn't get located and saved - a particular problem with the standard DB. I had partial success with enforcing a custom database for each scenario but it didn't seem consistent and that seemed like a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Interestingly, the replacement equipment section of the XML doesn't suffer from this problem because equipment is identified by the slot it occupies in the equipment database (as it should be) not by the equipment "name" which is just a text label. So your equipment item called "Sturmgeschütz IV" may well not be saved in your scenario (although "Sturmgesch?tz IV" might) but your replacement rates for "Node 1091" (which will be displayed as "Sturmgeschütz IV") will be ok.

Hopefully this will be fixed in 3.4 although I suspect the XML definition will remain unchanged.

Darned shame.... is there anything Ralph (and us all, for that matter) can do to assist, besides playtest?

Forum Conscript

Quote Originally Posted by arclight View Post
    Darned shame.... is there anything Ralph (and us all, for that matter) can do to assist, besides playtest?
    Jeff,

Ralph would need to add a NODE_ID attribute (which represents the slot in the equipment database) to the EQUIPMENT definition. The NAME attribute could remain for backwards compatibility.

3.4 will apparently add the ability to import the XML definition of a scenario (and I prefer interim working and saving in XML because it's faster and because it's human-readable errors can be checked). That being the case I would probably delay releasing anything until 3.4 comes out because although I have added the ability to export/import an OOB file like the F4/F5 procedure in the current editor, my experience with it in 3.2 has been hit and miss (and mainly miss). However, even then, I think the issue of text encoding will cause problems with any XML import in 3.4 anyway whether it's through any editor I write or through anything else.

Andy.

In the meantime, I have a nice shiny new Toshiba laptop turning up in a couple of days which will allow me to fix and test the Windows 7 issues in the Viewer and Equipment Editor....and Autumn Fog is calling.