Thread: Looking for a good WWIII scenario

Forum Regular
    Users Flag!

Looking for a good WWIII scenario

After the yearly re-reading of "Red Storm Rising" I got the yearly WWIII bug. While "TacOps", "ATF", "Flight Commander 2" and "Harpoon 3" take care of the tactical engagements, I'm looking for a good operational scenario.

I have TOAW-COW, and I would like to play a scenario set in the classic 1984-1988 period, in Europe. What would your recomendations be? Trey Marshal's WWIII series, inspired by the GDW wargames, appeal me (I played the original paper wargames), but I see that there are many others "Red Storm" scenarios out there - like the "Red Lightning" remake. Time/Size are not a problem, but I would like one where the NATO side is counseiled - I like to play nato.

Any pointers? Thanks in andvance for your help!

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by Reckall
    After the yearly re-reading of "Red Storm Rising" I got the yearly WWIII bug. While "TacOps", "ATF", "Flight Commander 2" and "Harpoon 3" take care of the tactical engagements, I'm looking for a good operational scenario.

I have TOAW-COW, and I would like to play a scenario set in the classic 1984-1988 period, in Europe. What would your recomendations be? Trey Marshal's WWIII series, inspired by the GDW wargames, appeal me (I played the original paper wargames), but I see that there are many others "Red Storm" scenarios out there - like the "Red Lightning" remake. Time/Size are not a problem, but I would like one where the NATO side is counseiled - I like to play nato.

Vince
    Leaving aside Trey's scenarios, the best ones would be Krasny Grom for late 80s, The Next War for late 70s and Berlin 61 (though this last is still on playtest) for an earlier period. There are a number of partial scenarios out there but I haven't tried them (Off the top of my head: Tim McBride's Denmark and one in the North Cape 1983 that I saw mentioned at TDG)

Users Flag!
    Hey Reck, if you're into operational-level WW3 you might want to check out the upcoming Mini-Battle 2: Hamburg Corridor. You know which forum to watch

Quote Originally Posted by JMS
    Leaving aside Trey's scenarios, the best ones would be Krasny Grom for late 80s, The Next War for late 70s and Berlin 61 (though this last is still on playtest) for an earlier period. There are a number of partial scenarios out there but I haven't tried them (Off the top of my head: Tim McBride's Denmark and one in the North Cape 1983 that I saw mentioned at TDG)
    If you want to try out my new version of Nordic Light? I can send it to you. There are a long thread about the scenario somewhere on the forum...

Any how heres the briefing:

NORDIC LIGHT II 0.9.9 beta
    A hypothetical Russian invasion of Finland and Sweden.

Date: September-October 1992
    Map Scale: 15km per hex
    Time Scale: Half-week Turns
    Unit Scale: Bn-Rgt-Bde
    Length: 13 Turns

UNIT COLORS
    NORDIC
    Sweden - various on yellow
    Finland - various on white
    Denmark - red on green
    Norway - blue on green
    USA - white on green
    Germany - black on green
    Britain - black on green
    Belgium - black on green

RUSSIAN
    Various on red

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS

The scenario begins with a one turn cease fire. Don't forget to check out your Theatre options.

Russian player may choice to invade Denmark and Norway, allowing a NATO intervention on the Nordic side. This means a state of war between NATO and Russia. Nuclear and Chemical warfare is expected. Parts of the 8th guards Army with first line equipments enters as reinforcements around Kalingrad. If the Russian player chooses this option the Nordic player will get the NATO reinforcements for free…but if Russia attacks early in the game the Nordic side suffers from air and ground chock and some of the NATO reinforcements has not arrived yet…

The player who uses chemical weapons is punished with 50 VPs.

The scenario will end three turns after nuclear weapons is used on either side. The player who uses nuclear weapons is punished with 100 VPs.

If the Nordic player chooses the option "NATO supports Nordic Air Force" on turn 1 a total of 200 F-16 is dumped into the replacement pool at a cost of 50VPs.

Theatre option asks for NATO intervention is activated on turn 2. It costs 200VP to activate. This Theatre option is cancelled if the Nordic player chooses to activate "NATO supports Nordic Air Forces". When activated NATO enters the conflict after 1-8 turns.

Theatre option "Ask for NATO intervention" appear once more 3-8 turns later. It will cost the Nordic player 150VPs to activate and it triggers a NATO intervention 1-6 turns after activation.

These Theatre options are very powerful because it usually shifts the airpower from Russia to NATO…And if Russia decides to attack first the VP penalties disappears… and NATO joins the Nordic side. Just don't activate the Theatre options if your are the Nordic player…

Finland will surrender when the variable value reaches 75%. Certain cities in Finland are marked with the variable value they add. The total value of all cities is 100%. The cities of Helsinki, Turku and Vaasa have a 100% chance of activation and all other have a chance of 95%. A couple of turns after the Finnish surrender the Free Finnish Army enters and a full scale guerrilla war begins.

Russian supply depots will increase the supply net in northern Finland and Sweden. Each activated supply depot costs 50 VPs for the Russian player (one exception: Visby 20VP). These supply depots are marked with a "+" on the map.

Russian strategic planning is rigid and in Sweden/Denmark there are only a few harbours that can supply Russian forces properly. The following harbours have this capability:
    -Stockholm (53,95) (This depot activates after the fall of Stockholm in Stockholm)
    -Nynäshamn (52,98)
    -Norrköping (45,101)
    -Visby (53,110)
    -Malmö (30,124)
    -Trelleborg (32,125)
    -Göteborg (28,126)
    -Köbenhavn (27,124)
    -Århus (20,119)
    -Soumussalmi (87,53)

Russian forces have a sea transport of 75 000 turn one and after that it will vary due to NORDIC and NATO interdiction.

The Nordic side has a sea transport of 2000 and it increases when NATO enters the conflict to 10000.

The Russian air transport capability is simulated with three theatre options. When activated each theatre option will give the Russian player airlift capacity as follows:
    1st 4000 (approx 5-6 Airborne Rgts) for one turn and then 1000 on the following turns.
    2nd 2500 (available after a turn range of 5) for one turn and then 1000 on the following turns.
    3rd 2000 (available after a turn range of 5) for one turn and then 1000 on the following turns.

The NATO air transport capability is simulated with three theatre options. When activated each theatre option will give the Nordic player airlift capacity as follows:
    1st 5000 (approx 1 Airborne Div) for one turn and then 1000 on the following turns.
    2nd 4000 (available after a turn range of 5) for one turn and then 1000 on the following turns.
    3rd 3000 (available after a turn range of 5) for one turn and then 1000 on the following turns.

There is a 90 % chance that Russian Spetsnaz units are successful in destroying vital NORDIC C3I assets, in which case NORDIC forces will be in a shock for the first turns. Shock will gradually disappear.

There is a chance of a cold front. It won't last for long. There is also a chance of storms.

VICTORY POINTS
    The victory points are distributed as follows:
    Finland 250 points
    Sweden 500 points
    Denmark 120 points
    Norway 130 points

In Norway there are permanent bonus points for the Russian player if the following cities are occupied:
    Oslo (51,29) 50 points
    Trondheim (28, 63) 50 points
    Bergen (6,81) 50 points
    Stavanger (4,92) 50 points
    Narvik (51,29) 50 points
    Tromsö (55,19) 50 points

Nordic player is awarded 100 VP for the capture of Murmansk.

The player who uses chemical weapons is punished with 50 VPs.

The scenario will end three turns (with a range of three) after nuclear weapons is used on either side. The player who uses nuclear weapons is punished with 100 VPs.

HOUSE RULES
    Player enforced house rules:
    1.Swedish and Finnish units may not cross each others boarders before turn two.
    2.Danish and Norwegian units may not conduct amphibious attacks. They are allowed to be transported between friendly controlled areas only.
    3. Only units with amphibious icon may conduct amphibious attacks on enemy territory. After an successful amphibious attack other units may disembark on the captured hex. This house rule applies for the NORDIC player during the whole game and for the Russian player after turn 3. If an enemy beach hex/land hex is un occupied the landing doesnt recuire and amphbius unit and other units can land directly.

BACKGROUND
    In the spring of 1992 the Russian empire was cracking up. The political reforms that had been implemented didn't work. Old generation generals were afraid that the Russian market would be too fragile and foreign investors would buy their beloved Motherland. The members of the WP countries was in unrest and the political system of communism seemed to be doomed but the army still occupied much of Eastern Europe and so it was a good tool in supporting Russian finance politics.

Elements of Stavka plans an ambious plan to regain the initiative and restore order in Eastern Europe. The plan is called operation Nordic Light. Stavka is aware that it can not defeat the NATO forces unless the vital resupply from the US is cut off. One way of cutting the supply routes is to control airbases in Southern Sweden and if possible i Southern Norway. If that is achieved NATOs Northern flank will be cut of and Russia will have a chance of restoring peace and order in Eastern Europe without NATO interference. So the decision was to invade the less populated Finland and Sweden. This would allow Russia to threaten NATO from north and give Russia total hold of Baltic Sea. If feasible, the invasion would go on to Norway and Denmark, allowing Baltic fleet to enter Atlantic Ocean without hindrance.

After Russian populations of Baltic States arranged uprisings which were then "shielded" by Russian divisions sent for "peace keeping mission", everything was in place for Nordic Light.

This scenario is loosely built around the Operation Garbo books (sorry, only in Swedish!) that are very well known by Swedish military gamers.

SCENARIO DESIGN
    Scandinavia map (Finland excluded): Pelle Holmén
    Finland map: Jari Mikkonen
    OOB/TOE(Finland excluded): Pelle Holmén/Bengt Larsson
    OOB/TOE Finland: Jari Mikkonen
    OOB/TOE Russia is based on information from Bengt Larsson, The Crazy Dutch and Andy Johnson's WP OOB 1988. Designations of Russian units with dots in there name is documented (i.e. 233.GMRR) and if the name contains a space it is hypothetical (i.e. 233 GMRR).

Playtesters:
    Foggy, Rasmus and Tim has helped me alot in working out the playbalance of version II.

Version 0.9.5
    Correct some playbalance issues. Mainly weakening the Nordic side.
    Version 0.9.0
    New Russian OOB/TOE. New Swedish OOB/TOE. Small changes of NATO OOB/TOE. Total remake of event structure and game mechanics. Small changes to the map.

Version 0.9.1-0.9.6
    Corrected some events. Tweaked the OOB and TOE of both sides. Reduced the number odd units further and delayed the reinforcements for Sweden. Russian Boarder guard units added. A A-10 unit added in the NATO OOB. Raised the profiency of the Russian Air force. Made the Military district units in Sweden static for the first two turns.

Version 0.9.8
    More tweaking of the forces. Weakening of the Nordic side and strengthening the Russian. Lower the number of small units in the Swedish Army. Reworked the TOE of the Swedish army. Three house rules is added to the game.

Major redeployment of NATO Reinforcements in Norway and partly in Denmark. Railrepair of 4 for both forces (turn 1 for Russia and turn 4 for Nordicside). Lowered the Guerilla effects. Minor redeployment of Swedish forces and some changes on the time table of arrivals (earlier for some Swedish units). Added some more Costal art unitis in Norrway and some garrisons in Danmark. Added a port i Rödbyhavn. Added some supply points for the Nordic side in some Swedish harbour cities. Tweaked the entry of the Free Finish units and their strenght.

Users Flag!
    [QUOTE=JMS](Off the top of my head: Tim McBride's Denmark QUOTE]

Could you tell more about this scenario, I cannot find it anywhere.
    THX
    Rasmus

[QUOTE=rasmus]
    Quote Originally Posted by JMS
    (Off the top of my head: Tim McBride's Denmark QUOTE]

Could you tell more about this scenario, I cannot find it anywhere.
    THX
    Rasmus
    Your wish is my command:

http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/sce...rio.php?Id=541

Operation Jutland
    NATO liberation of Denmark, May 8th 1989
    BEST PLAYED AS NATO or PBEM
    The computer handles the landing of US forces very weakly
    Unit colors

Warsaw Pact
    White on Red: Soviet Army Units
    Gold on Red: Soviet Guard Units
    Black on Red: Soviet Air Units
    White on Black: German Democratic Republic Units
    Also Most Warsaw Pact Forces are marked as Category A, B, or C
    Category A units are the most up to date and veteran forces in the theater
    Category B units are equipped with recent equipment and have seen action
    Category C units are using out-of-date equipment and have seen little action

NATO Colors
    Red on deep Blue: NATO Joint Units
    White on Olive: US Army Units
    Blue on Olive: US Marine Corps Units
    Tan on Tan: UK units
    White on Grey: Federal Republic of Germany Units
    Teal on White: Kingdom of Denmark Units
    Teal on Blue: French Foreign Legion Units
    Light Blue on Blue: Regular French Army Units

Historical Background

Claiming that FRG forces had violated the border and fired on GDR border troops the Warsaw Pact unleashed its might on the cold morning of December 25th 1988 in the form of an 'Out of Barracks' attack. Most NATO units were under strength due to the large number of troops on holiday leave. Landings in Denmark, Norway and Sweden quickly closed the Baltic; creating a safe haven for Soviet Ballistic Missile Subs. TU22M bombers and Soviet attack subs ravaged convoys from America. After 2 weeks Denmark had fallen; soon after Hamburg fell to a two-pronged Soviet offensive. In 1 months time Warsaw Pact Forces entered Hanover. Hanover fell after a month of heavy urban fighting. Soon Frankfurt was threatened and after 5 months is still contested. But now Warsaw Pact forces have been stopped. The lines of fighting stretch from Bremerhaven in the North to Frankfurt in the south. Both sides are stretched to the limits; NATO supply is coming in trickles because of the ravages of the Soviet bombers and subs on supply convoys. To the relief of all the war has stayed conventional, no chemical weapons or nuclear releases.

NATO Operational Briefing

The Warsaw Pact is basing its Subs and TU22M bombers out of Denmark. The forces are destroying a good number of NATO convoys. The situation is critical. The goal is Operation Jutland is two fold. First the elimination of Soviet staging areas for attack subs and the TU-22M bomber bases. If the bases were eliminated pressure on NATO convoys from the US would drop significantly. Second is the opening of a second front, if this is possible the war could quickly turn to NATO's favor. Liberating Denmark is crucial in the fight for freedom in Europe.

Important Events

Destroying the TU-22M units in the game is quite important. This will increase NATO supply and reinforcements. Also 15 permanent Victory points is given for each TU-22M unit destroyed.
    All NATO reinforcements are handled by events. By occupying certain areas of the map an event will be activated that will cause NATO re-enforcements to land. Also the capture of major port cities will do the same.
    NATO MUST capture the ports of Esbjerg and Alborg.
    The occupation of Copenhagen will give NATO 50 permanent Victory points
    In addition to Esbjerg and Alborg the capture of port cities will give NATO a supply boost.
    Captured cities will receive a garrison unit after a few turns
    Some NATO air units have a chance of withdrawing starting turn 12
    NATO Naval forces may withdraw on turn 8 to stop a Soviet landing in Iceland, units may return later
    The NATO player will receive VP's for destroying the ASM Batteries on the coast of Denmark
    The NATO player has use of cruise missiles for a few turns, they will be withdrawn eventually
    NATO Theater Options
    1. Can request the 327th Air Assault, cost 20vp
    2. Can request the 67th NG Bgde, cost 25vp
    3. Can request the 50th NG Armor, cost 50vp
    4. Can activate Plan Blackjack. This TO will give the NATO player several SF units and will arm local resistance fighters. Cost 50vp
    Thank you notes

Special thanks go out to Peter Daniel, Holger Wilcks, Scott Gibbs, Jeremy Mac Donald and Jason H for their help.Thanks to Jo van der Pluym for info on the Dutch forces.I also want to say thanks to the TOAW Scenario Design Workshop, a great site.Thanks also go out to Andy Johnson; his NATO and Warsaw Pact OOB's were priceless

Resources
    "Organization of Marine Corps Forces" (MCRP) 5-12D
    Andy Johnson's OOB files
    'Armored Cav' by Tom Clancy
    'Marine' by Tom Clancy
    PCL Map collection
    Tim McBride
    Last edited by JMS; 10 Sep 04 at 05:10.

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator Mark Stevens's Avatar
    Users Flag!
    I think that 'Red Thunder' produces a fast moving, challenging NATO-Warsaw Pact game, covering Denmark - Austria, with enough air, long-range artillery and rockets, parachute, airmobile and marine assets to make it more than just an armoured clash. Random events like the battle for Iceland or fleet engagements add interesting variations.

If you try this, you need to fix the bug that stops the Pact invading Austria - I've got a fixed copy if you're interested.
    "I see that you have made three spelling mistakes." Thomas de Mahay, Maquis de Favras, on being handed his death sentence by the Revolutionary Tribunal, Paris 1790

Users Flag!
    World War Three, Cold War style, huh? Try this one

http://www.harpoonhq.com/harpoon3/sc...ww3in1985.html

Users Flag!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckall

Vince
    Try this link: http://www.geocities.com/taow_vol2/

And then try

THE THIRD WORLD WAR
    VOL II
    TREY MARSHALL
    NATO, WARSAW PACT
    T0028

It includes a couple of scenarios, just yesterday I downloaded it and hell, the Winter Variant Europe is a hell of a lot of fun

@emsoy:

Guess I relly should get Harpoon...