Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Game questions?

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Game questions?

Might as well start a thread for any questions anyone might have. If you don't have an answer maybe a link to point they in the right direction.
    "All that is gold does not glitter."
    "It's a dangerous business going out your front door..."
    "My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
    I hope you'll join with me as we try to CHANGE IT." -- Barrack Obama

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Re: Game questions?

Like this: just what are all those different weapon types about?

Trying to figure out all those damage types is confusing- I found this chart & it helped me.

Weapon Damage Type Summary

Ancient Dwarf
    - Primary Damage on genus Dragon-kind (all), species Cave-claw, Rep Dungeon Sarnur

Beleriand
    - Primary Damage on genus Ancient Evil (all), genus Spiders and Insects (all), species Half-orc
    - Secondary Damage on species Wood-Troll

Fire
    - Primary Damage on genus Creatures of Nature (all), species Gorthorog, species Kergrim, species Siegecraft, species Slug, species Snowbeast, species Troll, species Wolf, species Wood-Troll
    - Secondary Damage on species Etten

Light
    - Primary Damage on genus Unseen (all), species Etten, species Goblin, species Gorthorog, species Orc, species PaleFolk, species Troll
    - Secondary Damage on species Spider, species Wood-Troll

Westernesse
    - Primary Damage on genus The Dead (all), genus Unseen (all), species Gaunt-Men

Some players will swap out or carry a second weapon depending on the type mob being fought.

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Awesome, I was hoping something like this would get started.

My first question: I am a level 19 Warden who has few to no quests in Breeland and just finished chapter one tonight, where should I go to level? I've been to Lonelands with my Champion, is that the best way to go and at what level?

Second question: I took Yeoman as a profession cause I want to make food, and resources online that can help me get started? I have always wanted to farm in this game, just seems relaxing and fun to me.

The best thing that could have happened to me did happen tonight, I have finally joined a kinship, the Sons of Numenor. I think this will help me to stick with the game longer than a month.

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

I actually started doing some farming with my Hunter; it wasn't exactly what I thought it would be, but it makes sense once one starts. Basically, you buy seeds from a vendor, find a plot of arable land specifically marked for farming - next to the vendor, usually (I did mine near Staddle) - plant the seeds and instantly the stuff grows. Then you harvest what grows and you have to take it to a workbench over by the vendor to sort out the "good stuff" that you've grown, some of which only turns out to be more seeds. It's - well, laborious, and I don't see it being profitable much in the short term.

It's a lot like the fishing hobby, which I've been doing off and on; I keep thinking the fish will get bigger as I advance - you do move on to larger "trophy" fish (which you have to take to a taxidermist before they are worth anything) but I haven't noticed an appreciable increase in the value of either the other fish or the trophies once mounted, but perhaps I'm not at a high enough level.

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Crafting can be rewards but extremely frustrating when you find yourself needing all kinds of items & have to jump from one location to another to complete them.

That aspect of the game has been secondary to everything else for me in LotRO. I'd rather spend my time exploring or wandering around gathering the materials for others to craft (wood/ore/scholar/food) than stand in a crafting hall, but that's just me. I know that some placers have alternate characters that that's all they do is craft, their other characters send them all the materials. (of course the crafter's need to quest too for their "craft leveling")

One great thing about most Kinship's is, that if you want something made all you to do is get the materials & someone else will happily make the items for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jayedub7423 View Post
    My first question: I am a level 19 Warden who has few to no quests in Breeland and just finished chapter one tonight, where should I go to level? I've been to Lonelands with my Champion, is that the best way to go and at what level?
    Well- if you simply want to level fast you just keep moving up to new level areas & do the quests there yellow/orange. Or kill a lot of mobs that are blue to you (that you can grind thru quickly- which is also a way to make money selling "vender items") The biggest problem I see with doing this is, you leave a ton of great quests behind that will become "grey" & ho-hum if you drop back later to do them. And questing is the "thing" in this game.

We've found that if you actually have to "struggle" to complete quests it makes the game & you feel part of the story. But when you just walk by 99% of the enemy (Grey) and travel thru some great graphic areas to go "whack-whack"/ kill the boss / complete the quest, it's rather disappointing & quite frankly boring.
    That said- you will end up doing "Grey" quests no matter how hard you try not too. There are simply so many quests in so many areas (that are "your" level) that a lot are going to drop below your level all over the place.

That brings you into your "favorite" quest areas & there are many to pick from. When you find a place you like to quest at your level (past the starting areas) for whatever reason like the Shire /Old Forest / Breelands etc (I liked Evendim) you stay & do every quest you can, knowing that in some other areas "your level" quests there are going to go Grey on you.
    Pick whichever you find the most rewarding & fun.

Second question:.., and resources online that can help me get started? .
    This is the main game link & you can find most of what you want here:
    http://lotro.mmodb.com/
    This one if you want some actual player comments on quests & maps for pre-Moria sections:
    http://www.thebrasse.com/lotro/
    And for basic quick info Wiki is good. (They have some good maps)
    http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

The best thing that could have happened to me did happen tonight, I have finally joined a kinship, the Sons of Numenor. I think this will help me to stick with the game longer than a month.
    YEA! Having a group to play with of all different classes & levels (and play styles) is a big bonus!
    Last edited by Palantir; 04 May 09 at 14:31.

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Thanks for the info, it helps alot.

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Here are some other game questions Iíve been asked, thought Iíd pass them along & my answers. ( it's long!! )

Is it still worth playing despite its apparent current "dumbing down?"

Yes, it's definitely worth playing with no doubts!

I try and remind people I'm a LotR nut so my comments are mostly from the "purest" angle being concerned with the lore Tolkien has already sent in stone. It's the reason I resisted playing it in the first place- that they'd mess up the lore completely, but the first game, "Shadows of Angmar" was/is awesome. When seen as an online role-playing game Turbine continues to hit it on all cylinders. There is so much to do in this game that gaining levels or getting gear never seems like itís the "point" of the game (as all MMO's are). The players are also more mature & friendly as an entire group- a huge plus in my mind.

My service is SlOoOoOoW.

Even with a slow server if you can run around solo quite a bit so it's not that big of a deal. It maybe when you get in areas with a lot going on or running in bigger groups itís more apparent. Right now, we get the throw-back lag where you run over the same ground twice. Irritating when it happens but not more than an annoyance.

I love to explore in MMO's but all the aggro usually makes it really boring and aggravating. How is this handled in LotRO? Ie. like in WoW you run 10ft. off the road and get mobbed by spiders or wolves, ect..

Mobbed? No here you need to run 20' off the road- then you get jumped just like every other MMO! However you can still explore if you work your way around in "your" level areas which I absolutely love about LotRO. I wandered everywhere looking at all the cool graphics and LotR areas -a blast in my opinion. If you just don't blindly walk into things you can explore to your hearts content.

How is the ease of exploring? Ie. the whole having to dodge aggro and other various creatures that apparently attack you. Are their neutral creature and placid ones that say, you could hunt for food, run away if they see you, ect? And also just exploring to discover the world and any little gems/cool areas that are in the world?

Exactly!!! Couldn't say it better, thatís LotRO. There are dozens of visual "gems" all over from waterfalls, panoramas, sunsets, moon rises, rainbows and even "northern lights" in snowy Forochel.

How is the combat system? Is it like WoW's or more realistic so-to-speak?

It's like WoW but everything makes sense as far as the moves & animations: they are more restrained not fantasy like. Everything is graphically more ďrealisticĒ looking than WoW. I watched a friend playing WoW the other day fighting some boss- it was like watching a cartoon on TV. (And I played WoW for years) The difference between the two is huge as far as the visual area goes. WoW is "high fantasy" where anything goes (and does) and LotRO is based upon the created world being a "real" breathing, living place. I could never go back and play WoW now.

You said "living" and breathing world... What... did you mean exactly?

Tolkien had the land of Middle Earth based on reality as far as geological features, fracture lines, uplands, swamps, mt ranges, rivers, where towns were, sizes and distances etc. Any real life story could be told using the land he created. Nothing is "fantastical" (no floating islands or castles). So it actually feels like you are in a real living world as you travel through the game. Now the only drawback- the developers had to do A LOT of work to make it a "action game." They had to "drop" the enemy into every place to have action everywhere but quite necessary to create - a MMO game! (I can go with that)

WoW was fun and all, but the PvP areas were annoying, and the aggro also got really annoying. I've been looking for a good MMO and am currently looking at Star Trek Online and EVE... and now LotRO.

PVP for now only happens in one restricted area called the Ettenmoors. You never have to go there if you donít want to.

Is the AI always doing stuff? Like a band of... "rebel humans" always raid village X even if you're not doing the quest?

So far there are no "automatic AI" actions going on. But the promise of such things is there with the new "Skirmish" system coming out. Most of those actions are still all "instances."

How much character customization is there exactly? And how different can characters look? So that there aren't tooo many generic outfits for certain classes, ect..

I'd say a fair amount (not knowing what is new in WoW). Every male doesn't look like "Dog the Bounty Hunter" here. I believe that they are adding more in the next expansion. At level 60 I have only seen 1 other player that was outfitted like mine as far as clothing went. Weapons were different but we both had bows & swords. You can color almost every item (not weapons) and have 3 sets of "outfits" (one combat & 2 just for looks) plus change your hair, beards etc as you please after 15th level.

There does seem to be the normal looks- females have long hair, dwarves with long beards (not short), elves with light color hair etc. and of course there are the "good" sets of armor that everyone wants for their level & class so you see a lot of the same armor just in different colors & combination's. EX. if you see a player wearing the "bear helm" you know its a Hunter between 15th & 21st level. Same as in WoW but the higher levels - many, many more options.

You can "wear" almost any clothing you want (level appropriate) to be seen by other players AND still have you "combat" gear on as well. Pretty cool system- you can be seen wearing a "floppy hat" but "underneath" you still have on your combat helm.

Does sleep, eating, other various activities play any kind role in the next to just being things for health?

You drink potions & eat for health:, use potions/balms/food for cures vs. poison, diseases, fear etc. Sleeping is just an emote & really doesnít do anything.

In relation to WoW, how is the interface handled? Ie. all the talent/action buttons you have on the short cuts.

The interface is pretty much like WoW. I don't think it's cluttered. I just click on the icons for actions, others use the keys.

How much of Middle Earth is in the game (including after the Mirkwood thingy)? Ie. How much longer till Rohan, Gondor, and Mordor get added in?

So far everything from Ered Luin south to LothLorien minus Dunland (Southwest of Moria). They will probably stay with the Mirkwood region (The Lonely Mountain, Elves Woodland realm 2010) till "The Hobbit" Movie comes out for the free PR. Then they will head to Rohan probably in early 2011, followed by Gondor late 2011/early2012.

A nice older review of the initial SoA is here that covers all the basics.
    http://lotrovault.ign.com/static.php?page=lotroreview

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Good stuff, thanks for the info.

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Oh, and if you end up in Forochel and its super-foggy - it's a bug! I ended up there today and forgot about the bug and wandered about in the fog for ages. Totally forgot about it, so played for a bit and quit. Not a big deal but good news - Google is your friend. I typed in LOTRO Forochel fog to see if the region was normally prone to fog, and found some forum chatter about the bug, and I was reminded of a conversation with Kerry about it. Solution is to log out and go back in. So I went back a bit later and, yes, it was back to normal.

As Kerry reminded me, many of the quests were set up with the expectation that you would use the Lorebook or the internet to help solve them. Use any quest title and the search term LOTRO in Google if you get stuck, and presto - it will bring up a website with a full solution to the quest, usually with grid co-ordinates for you (your grid location is including in the user interface when you're in the game - and for screenshotting, hit F12 to toggle it). And of course the in-game hints will help out with most quests to the point of providing a big yellow arrow to guiding you right to the target, if you really want. It's actually has the capacity to be too easy now, but I did have a bit of a struggle over the weekend picking the Perfect Lily out of the water south of Bruinen Ford - some quests you save up and come back to - time and again - until you've leveled up enough to accomplish solo, and they still require work. Just knowing where they are is not enough, and will require actual tactics. Imagine that.

Users Flag!

So I made it through the tutorial quest. Never read the manual and don't plan to.

A couple of things puzzle me:

what would be the point of buying pretty clothes? It's not that there's lot of babes running 'round. Similar with jewelery.

So, I started as a Dawrf and I got started in that mountain in the west of Eriador. If I had picked an Elf or a Hobbit, where would I start? How soon are they "merged", how long are the separate?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast