Thread: Warhammer Online Delayed until Fall 2008

Spec Op Clergy ADMIN Scott Tortorice's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Scream Warhammer Online Delayed until Fall 2008

There were rumors about this for awhile, but now it is official:
    On the day we signed the agreement to license Warhammer from Games Workshop, I promised them that we would create a great and glorious game, a truly next-generation MMORPG. Today, I have news to report; we are going to delay the release of WAR until Fall 2008. While we do not expect this announcement to be met with fanfare and cheering crowds; the additional time will be spent hammering WAR into an even better game that it is today.

During the most recent phase of beta testing, two things have become clear. One was that our key innovations - Public Quests, Tome of Knowledge and Realm vs. Realm combat - were all coming along extremely well, as was the first stage of our innovative crafting system. The second, that the game would benefit from additional iteration time as well as adding a layer of polish or two. Fortunately, as part of Electronic Arts, we are able to do just that.

While I have no doubt that the community will experience a wide range of emotions over this decision, I urge you to remember one thing (and to keep the tar cold and the feathers on the birds), that our goal has never been to release a game by a certain date but to release a great Warhammer MMORPG. We have not wavered from this goal and with the full support of Games Workshop, GOA and Electronic Arts we intend to release a glorious next-generation MMORPG.

As always, I thank the community for its support, patronage and its patience.

Mark Jacobs
    VP, GM EA Mythic
    Still, I would rather have a great Warhammer game than just another incremental improvement on WoW.
    Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer!
    Latest Entry: Frenetic Gaming

Spec Op Clergy ADMIN Scott Tortorice's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Warhammer Online Delayed until Fall 2008

MMORPG.com has an interesting interview with VP Mark Jacobs concerning the delay of Warhammer Online.

The first question that I asked Mark was whether or not this delay should be seen as a sign that their game is in some kind of serious trouble.

“Oh God no,” he responded in his usual candid way. He went on to tell me that if the game was actually in trouble, we would have been more likely to see one of two things happen. First, we would have seen changes at the company, most likely starting with Mark himself and second, EA wouldn’t have granted the time extension. Since everyone is still employed, and the delay was announced, we can assume that the game isn’t in trouble. In answering the question, Mark also pointed out that if the game were in trouble, it would be far more likely to go the way of EA Mythic’s last project, Imperator, which was “postponed indefinitely”.
    That is certainly good news!

You can read the whole interview here.
    Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer!
    Latest Entry: Frenetic Gaming