Thread: Issue with WiF on Vassal

Noob Recruit
    Users Flag!

Issue with WiF on Vassal

Hello, I am playing WiF for many years and was getting excited knowing there is a way to play it online with Vassal.

So I did follow up the instructions and did install it.

It seems to be working fine but, when i choose a campaign to play something must be wrong. It does not ask me which side or nation I want to play, I feel lost. Either I do something wrong or what? I see the maps, the menus, etc. but don't know what to do, looks like something is amiss, or is it me?

Any help would be appreciated.

Forum Regular
    Users Flag!

Re: Issue with WiF on Vassal

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for or what you were expecting, but since I'm the guy that made the WiF VASSAL module I will do whatever I can to help you out.

The module doesn't ask for a side to choose, you can play any and all sides and have access to all the force pools, etc.

The pre-defined setups in the new game menu don't place any pieces on the maps, they simply load pieces into the force pools and bring up the appropriate maps for the scenario. Since WiF requires a random draw on starting units it wouldn't work to have the, already placed. The Global War, Super Deluxe setup does put the named ships in the general locations and has counters from all the expansions placed. That's probably your best bet.

To connect into the room, there is a button with two black arrows in the upper right arrea of the menus. Click this to open up the server window and then you can connect from there.

Vassal doesn't have any AI to do anything for you. Once you have a game setup, think of it has you would sitting around the table. Only in this case it doesn't take up 10 feet of space and have cats jumping onto the eastern front.

If you have any questions I would highly recommend checking out the following yahoo groups: wifdiscussion and PetesCBWiFgame Both are great groups (especially the first). Also, feel free to e-mail me directly if you like if you still have questions.

Ken

Noob Recruit
    Users Flag!

Red face Re: Issue with WiF on Vassal

OK Thank you for the reply. I now begin to figure out how it works.

So, would be nice when you have 2 graphic cards or a 2 video out graphic card with two 22" inch LCD monitors!