Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: So, what do you think of D&D 4th edition

Disgruntled Democrat M Faulkner's Avatar
    Users Flag!

So, what do you think of D&D 4th edition

From what I am hearing and reading (which is not alot), I don't like some of the things they are planning to do. What are your opinions?

Users Flag!

Re: So, what do you think of D&D 4th edition

Personally, I don't care. At this point, I am refusing to buy based on principle. I have spent a lot of money on 3 and 3.5. I have enough material to last me a VERY long time. I used to be one to keep up with the newest rules version, but I have since stopped caring. 3.5 is a good, robust system and any issues I have with it I can fix with house rules. JMHO.

- Josh

Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by Count_Zero View Post
    Personally, I don't care. At this point, I am refusing to buy based on principle. I have spent a lot of money on 3 and 3.5. I have enough material to last me a VERY long time. I used to be one to keep up with the newest rules version, but I have since stopped caring. 3.5 is a good, robust system and any issues I have with it I can fix with house rules. JMHO.

- Josh
    I like your way of thinking! I am happy with 3.5. I just don't get why 4e is coming out so soon after 3.5 and the fact that it is so different. The only thing I can think of is the $ making aspect.

Users Flag!

I think that there is no reason to believe that 4th edition D&D will not focus on miniture use and feats, so I plan on getting only the 4th edition DMG and Monster Manual, and use these to supplement my house rules, and to inspire my sword and sorcery settings.
    It's the law of the jungle: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I think that there is no reason to believe that 4th edition D&D will not focus on miniture use and feats, so I plan on getting only the 4th edition DMG and Monster Manual, and use these to supplement my house rules, and to inspire my sword and sorcery settings.
    Feats are like a two edged sword. On one hand they give new players something to focus their abilities on so they don't feel like their ideas are stupid and a waist everyones time. You know what I mean new players mostly just sit there slack jawed with a blank stare in their faces, hardly involved in the game at all. Feats are a great tool to get new players involved in the game. But unfortunately they also require more rules for the DM to memorize. It would be better if they got rid of most of the classes and cut it down to just the four basic classes, fighter, wizard, priest, and rogue, while at the same time keeping the feats. By reducing the number of classes they would also be reducing the number of feats. Minitures are great, but they are coast prohibitive and require a lot of space. I think they should be left to the D&D grog-nards (if there is such a thing). I think they look outstanding, but they don't do anything to facilitate game play. I feel that they do nothing but make the game LOOK good. I hope 4th edition is real good, but I think the game has to many rules to make players think they can try anything. One of the best things about role playing is when players feel that the only limitation is their own imagination. Excessive rules limit the players ability to use their imagination. The less rules the better. The best rule ever written for a role playing game is "the only rule is that there no rules".
    Last edited by Dion; 10 Feb 08 at 10:19.
    It's the law of the jungle: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    The best rule ever written for a role playing game is "the only rule is that there no rules".
    Now THAT is a DM after my own heart....

- Josh

Users Flag!

Hi!

My gaming group has listened to my complain about 4e for months. This is all about corporate greed and nothing else. Is 3.5 perfect, no. Neither will 4e. They need to sell books pure an simple, so they spin some yarn about needed a newer, better game.

OK now that I have that off my chest

From what I am hearing, some changes are for the good. But all in all I am not liking a lot of what I hear. I will reserve judgment until I at least see a copy (via friends copy or whatever) of the book and give it a little study.

Of course, I did not like a lot of what I heard about 3E, but in the end I think its a better game than 1st/2nd.

Getting rid of feats is OK in my book as I did not like the programmed "feel" to them. Though I did not think they are lessening the importance of miniatures. I know in the sample character I have seen one of the Ranger abilities (I think it was ranger anyway) allows him to take a shift one square before or after an attack.

Here are some sample characters from the DnD experience (whatever that is):

http://picasaweb.google.com/gertieba...haracterSheets

Peace

Roger
    Last edited by rdw5150; 05 Mar 08 at 07:47.
    "once in a while
    you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places
    if you look at it right" -J.Garcia/R.Hunter, "Scarlet Begonias"

Users Flag!

I could be wrong, but I don't think they are getting rid of feats. From what a friend of mine said, there will be more feats to choose from.

Users Flag!

hi!

i do not remember seeing Feats on the 4E character sheet example. Then again I did not look at them closely...

Just looked at them again, and I guess they do have feats, but if you look they do not appear to be like they were in the past.

Peace

Roger
    Last edited by rdw5150; 05 Mar 08 at 12:52.
    "once in a while
    you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places
    if you look at it right" -J.Garcia/R.Hunter, "Scarlet Begonias"

Chief Defender of the Faith ADMIN Dr Zaius's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Look, if they don't sell books they go out of business, it's just that simple. And games like World of Warcraft have put a huge dent in the profits of tabletop RPG companies, and they know it.

If they don't do something to stay relevant and grab the attention of newer gamers, D&D will simply fade away. They can't make money by charging monthly fees like WoW, and the exponential rate at which printing costs have risen over the last decade has been a nightmare for publishers of tabletop products.

So either they innovate and create new products that will keep D&D relevant, or they accept defeat at the hands of Wii, Xbox, and Wow. If they create quality products, I suspect people will buy them. If they don't, well, they won't.
    "I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself." - Dr. Zaius

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast