Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2WIN - Murphstein (Allies) vs Golaith (Axis)

Users Flag!

2WIN - Murphstein (Allies) vs Golaith (Axis)

Now that we've both got a PBEM game under our belts, Goliath and I decided to trade roles and play Two Weeks In Normandy (the New Player Workshop version from last year).

I don't know if he will start a thread on the Axis forum, but I'm certainly going to need advice and instruction. We're playing with the usual options, and an honor rule that I will not put my heavy bombers on interdiction.

Users Flag!
    I played that one from both sides and it was fun both times. (I also won both times. ) I hope you'll enjoy it too.

For the Allies I believe the key is to occupy as much real estate as possible in the first few moves as long as you benefit from shock and a weak German response. Once the guys in grey and black start consolidating a frontline it becomes awfully hard to make further headway. Especially, linking up the beachheads, keeping Pegasus and/or getting into Caen seems before German reinforcements make the line of the Orne impregnable seems crucial.
    "Mon centre cède, ma droite recule. Situation excellente, j'attaque." - Maréchal Foch

Users Flag!
    In 2 sentences or less- if you're Allies think Bayeux 'Gap', then go for it big time with whatever you've got with a view to outflanking that awful bocage and them thar hills east.

If you're the Germans against a decent Allied player this will be your worst nightmare and however you do it you have to be reactive as best you can.
    Last edited by General Staff; 22 Oct 07 at 06:19. Reason: Lads- sorry but clicked on latest post here. Didn't mean to be here. Haven't seen anything else regarding RtR44. Apologies.

Users Flag!
    Quote Originally Posted by General Staff View Post
    Last edited by General Staff : Today at 02:19. Reason: Lads- sorry but clicked on latest post here. Didn't mean to be here. Haven't seen anything else regarding RtR44. Apologies.
    Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure....
    To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
    If you ask me a question and I don't respond, please remind me; I'm a forgetful person.
    It's a good idea not to quote me until time has past; I often edit my posts beyond recognition. :)

Users Flag!

Plans and Intentions

Attempting to go for all four "super-objectives" seems to be both dangerous and unrealistically optimistic, requiring the Allies to split their forces and drive NW (to Cherbourg), S (to St Lo and Torigni) and SE (to the Bourguebus Ridge) at the same time, in the face of mounting powerful opposition, most particularly in the eastern (British) zone.

GS advises that the "Bayeaux Gap" and St. Lo is his usual axis of attack, with the territory around Perier Ridge and Caen (both sides of the Orne) seized for VPs and tactical positioning in the east; threatening Cherbourg and taking advantage of an opportunity there is secondary to tying down the Axis forces on the Cotentin Peninsula in the west.

Taking the center of the map S to St. Lo, plus Perier Ridge and Caen in the east, should provide enough points for a victory, while denying the Axis all 3 of their super-objectives (Caretan, Foret de Cerisy, Pegasus Bridge). It will also allow the Allies to concentrate their strength against a small part of the Axis forces, most of which will be initially tied up in the west (defending Cherbourg) and east (defending Caen and Bourguebus Ridge).

My general plan is to use the British I Corps to hold and expand the airhead across the Orne at Pegasus Bridge, then attack south on both sides of the river to Caen, taking Perier Ridge on the west side of the river in the process, then to tie down as many Axis reinforcements as possible in the east. If a late-game opportunity arises, due to Axis forces moving west, the I Corps will lunge for the Bourguebus Ridge hexes.

The British XXX Corps will take Bayeaux, clear the western end of Perier Ridge, and take Villers-Bocage. This will establish a defensive line, perhaps on the Odon River, to block reinforcements moving west.

The US V Corps will shift east from Omaha Beach to Port-en-Bessin and then move south to the Foret de Cerisy, with the British XXX Corps protecting their left and the Vire River and VII Corps protecting their right, until they can be massed for an attack on St. Lo from the NW, possibly continuing on to Torigni.

The US VII Corps will demonstrate NW toward Cherbourg to draw Axis defenders in that direction, and use the 2 airborne divisions to take Caretan and mop up resistance left by the V Corps between Isigny and Trevieres. As the V Corps closes on St. Lo, the VII Corps will shift its weight thru Caretan toward Pont Hebert and further south, to cut off St. Lo from reinforcement from the west.

My first turn was spent expanding the beachheads and securing the airheads, so implementation of this plan will start with Allied turn 2. I'll make sure there are Allied turn-1 end and turn-2 start SALs posted later today.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by murphstein; 27 Oct 07 at 13:25. Reason: Added Allied Turn 1 end SAL

Users Flag!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heldenkaiser View Post
    I played that one from both sides and it was fun both times. (I also won both times. ) I hope you'll enjoy it too.

For the Allies I believe the key is to occupy as much real estate as possible in the first few moves as long as you benefit from shock and a weak German response. Once the guys in grey and black start consolidating a frontline it becomes awfully hard to make further headway. Especially, linking up the beachheads, keeping Pegasus and/or getting into Caen seems before German reinforcements make the line of the Orne impregnable seems crucial.
    Exactly. And think Bayeux Gap.

Users Flag!

Turn 2 Start

Start: Axis: 76/1, Allies 3/0, Score -132/79 (OD)

Moving west to east, my plan for this turn is:

US 4ID to push back defenders between Quineville and Montbourg, to test the German defenses and force them to protect the direct path from Utah Beach to Cherbourg. Objective: capture Montbourg.

US 90ID (just arriving) to cross the Mederet River and relieve the 82ABD, to test the German defenses and stretch their lines westward. Objective: maintain and expand 82nd A/B airhead W of Mederet River.

US 82ABD to assemble NW of Mederet and Douve Rivers. Objective: mop up isolated stragglers west of St. Mere Eglis and secure Mederet bridges.

US 101ABD to assemble S of St. Come de Mont, N of Taute River. Objective: Taute River bridge at 35,29 and Caretan approaches S of Taute River.

US 29ID to expand beach-head N of Aure River, forcing the Germans to defend a line from Grandchamps to Formigny. Objectives: Formigny

US 1ID (just arriving) to clear area from Colleville east thru Port-en-Bessin, then advance S and cross the Aure River. Objective: cross-roads at 58,29 and link-up with British XXX Corps right flank.

Brit 50ID to advance SW, linking with US V Corps on their right. Objective: Bayeux.

Brit 8ArmB to advance E of Bayeux, straddle the Caen-Bayeux road, then move E along this road S of Perier Ridge. Objective: Bretteville

Can 3ID to advance S along Courseulles-Caen road, to link with 8th Arm Bde near Bretteville.

Brit 4SSB to mop up isolated units. Objective: Douvres.

Brit 3ID to advance S to Perier Ridge, linking with Can 3rd Inf Div near 77,33 on the W and anchoring the line on or S of Benouville and Pegasus Bridge. Objective:

Brit 1SSB to cross Orne River and clear coast between Orne and Dives Rivers. Objectives: Merville and Cabourg.

Brit 6ABD units to concentrate east of Orne River and secure airhead across Pegasus Bridge.

Brit 27ArmB concentrate east of Orne River and secure airhead across Pegasus Bridge.

All air units on CS and naval units on TR during troop movements; direct fire support missions for 101AB, 4ID and 6AB to be assigned as needed.
    Last edited by murphstein; 28 Oct 07 at 22:57. Reason: Adding SAL

Users Flag!

Turn 2 End

In the west:
    - US 4ID pushing Axis units back to Quineville-Montbourg line
    - US 90ID crossing Mederet River to relieve 82ABD
    - US 82ABD concentrating W of Mederet River
    - US 101ABD retaken Taute River bridge and concentrating to attack Caretan

In the center:
    - US 29ID is keeping Germans busy N of the Aure River behind Omaha Beach
    - US 1ID w/ V Corps arm, arty crossed the Aure on the road and moving S

In the east:
    - Brit 50ID is approaching Bayeux and the "gap" in the hills to the east of it
    - Brit 8ArmB is clearing the W end of Periers Ridge
    - Can 3ID is pushing E along Periers Ridge
    - Brit 3ID is pushing S to Periers Ridge, anchored on the Orne River
    - Brit 27ArmB, 6ABD and 1SpecSvcBde expanding air-head E of Orne River

Naval units safely positioned and providing support; air all back on I (except heavy bombers on CS).

End-of-turn SAL attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by murphstein; 02 Nov 07 at 16:11. Reason: Attached a JPG of the map, end of Allied turn 2

Users Flag!
    Quote Originally Posted by murphstein View Post
    In the west:
    - US 4ID pushing Axis units back to Quineville-Montbourg line
    - US 90ID crossing Mederet River to relieve 82ABD
    - US 82ABD concentrating W of Mederet River
    - US 101ABD retaken Taute River bridge and concentrating to attack Caretan

In the center:
    - US 29ID is keeping Germans busy N of the Aure River behind Omaha Beach
    - US 1ID w/ V Corps arm, arty crossed the Aure on the road and moving S

In the east:
    - Brit 50ID is approaching Bayeux and the "gap" in the hills to the east of it
    - Brit 8ArmB is clearing the W end of Periers Ridge
    - Can 3ID is pushing E along Periers Ridge
    - Brit 3ID is pushing S to Periers Ridge, anchored on the Orne River
    - Brit 27ArmB, 6ABD and 1SpecSvcBde expanding air-head E of Orne River

Naval units safely positioned and providing support; air all back on I (except heavy bombers on CS).

End-of-turn SAL attached.
    Need a screen-shot (or movie shot) so I can see this at work!
    To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
    If you ask me a question and I don't respond, please remind me; I'm a forgetful person.
    It's a good idea not to quote me until time has past; I often edit my posts beyond recognition. :)

Users Flag!

German Turn 2

============
    Axis Turn 02
    ============

Western Sector:
    709InfDiv: broken down and defending Quineville to Montbourg
    243InfDiv: broken down and defending Montbourg to Mederet River, or moving S toward St Saveur
    91AirDiv: broken down and defending Mederet River to Douve River
    6FJRgt: broken down and defending Caretan and Vire River bridge to Omaha Beach

Central Sector:
    352InfDiv: broken down and defending Grandchamps to Formigny, then S of Aure on road to Bayeux
    30MobBde: seen arriving N of Aure River, probably now defending Formigny to crossroad @ 61,29
    12SSPzrDiv: broken down and defending spots in the line from crossroad @ 61,29 to Bretteville

Eastern Sector:
    716InfDiv: remnants defending Periers Ridge spur W of Douves
    21PzrDiv: broken down and defending from Bayeux to Dives River
    711InfDiv: broken down and defending N-S line W of Dives River
    12SSPzrDiv: broken down and defending spots in the line from Bretteville to Orne River
    346InfDiv: appears between Orne and Dives Rivers around Troarn

Axis got 6 combat rounds:
    Attacks on 101AB units holding bridges, repulsed
    Attacks on 82AB units at N end of line, repulsed
    Attacks on Br3ID units in Benouville, successful
    Attacks on Br6AB units protecting Pegasus Bridge, repulsed

End: Axis 75/2, Allies 4/0, score -129/79, (OD).

And just for Veers (hope this works):

Last edited by murphstein; 02 Nov 07 at 21:04. Reason: Added screenshot

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast