Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rick vs Murphstein

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!

Rick vs Murphstein

Sent off first turn last nite.

I've looked for the .sal file in the saves folder, but didn't find it. There is an auto.sal in there, but I'm not sure what it is. I tried loading it, but it said Beginning British turn 2, so I closed it.

My startegy wasn't too deep -- I mainly wanted to try and secure some river crossings.

I moved the first Britsh Bde toward Saltara, the 2nd to the east of Saltara.

The 128th Bde crossed the Metauro river at Fosonnbrone intending to head toward Urbino, but ran into German units just after crossing the river. 1St Bdd did reduce Saltara to ruins and occupied the town, but didn't make much more progress.

rick

Users Flag!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickie View Post
    Sent off first turn last nite.

I've looked for the .sal file in the saves folder, but didn't find it. There is an auto.sal in there, but I'm not sure what it is. I tried loading it, but it said Beginning British turn 2, so I closed it.

My startegy wasn't too deep -- I mainly wanted to try and secure some river crossings.

I moved the first Britsh Bde toward Saltara, the 2nd to the east of Saltara.

The 128th Bde crossed the Metauro river at Fosonnbrone intending to head toward Urbino, but ran into German units just after crossing the river. 1St Bdd did reduce Saltara to ruins and occupied the town, but didn't make much more progress.

rick
    This is a recently discovered issue with the beta patch. DO_NOT_SEND.SAL files, saved at the end of the turn, automatically, are not saved. I am working on a solution.

EDIT: I'm confident that Ralph, James, and company will have a fix for this out very soon.
    Last edited by Veers; 13 Sep 07 at 23:10.
    To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
    If you ask me a question and I don't respond, please remind me; I'm a forgetful person.
    It's a good idea not to quote me until time has past; I often edit my posts beyond recognition. :)

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!

Turn two of RIck vs Murphstein

It appears the Germans pulled back from their first line of defence.

I moved all forces that were released forward on three axis of attack, to the east along the coast road of course, up the cneter following my initial thrust, and another force in the west.

I was able to get engineers on some of the destroyed bridges, but wasn't able to cover them all.

Only managed two round of attacks, evaporting one German unit and forcing couple of more back.

Had problem when watching replay of German turn. after entering password, I would roll the mouse wheel to try and zoon in map to see better, but everytime I did that the game would crash with error: Parent Unit error - Parent unit is invalid-" then when I hit continue, game would crash to desktop.

I was able to watch the replay on the zoomend out mode, so went ahead and finished watching.

Should I be trying to take screen shots or something? not sure how to post screens here in any event, but I'm not sure how much you can critiques without seeing screens?.

Rick

Users Flag!
    I would roll the mouse wheel to try and zoon in map to see better, but everytime I did that the game would crash with error: Parent Unit error - Parent unit is invalid-" then when I hit continue, game would crash to desktop.

I was able to watch the replay on the zoomend out mode, so went ahead and finished watching.
    I had the same experience, and reported it at the Matrix TOAW support forum. Maybe it is already fixed, now that the official patch is out?

Should I be trying to take screen shots or something? not sure how to post screens here in any event, but I'm not sure how much you can critiques without seeing screens?.
    I don't know how to insert images directly into posts, but I attached screen images in my posts, using the "manage attachments" button appearing somewhat below the area where you type posts. Looking forward to seeing your progress in a screen shot!

TOAW III Project Manager JAMiAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    I had the same experience, and reported it at the Matrix TOAW support forum. Maybe it is already fixed, now that the official patch is out?
    No, it's not. You're not supposed to try and zoom while the replay is in process. We'll try to see what's going on with it for future patches, but in the meantime, watch it as it was intended...
    Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!

Third allied turn

Germans are starting to stiffen both in the east and the west. I'm stuck mopping up a pocket in the center. Still not moving forward.

Looks like the Germans are going to make a stand at the second river line. Some of my units are strating to tire now.

I've attached a screen shot of middle of turn (after first round). Only got in two round this turn. I must be manuevering too much.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!

fourth turn

I've pressed forward to the Foglia River. Eliminated German forces encircled in center.

German forces firmed up along the Foglia. Two main Assaults one in the east where I managed to force retreat at Pesaro. But two assault on Montecalvo were repulsed. Again just two round of combat this fourth allied turn.

I seem to be doing something wrong to burn up time.

Rick

Users Flag!
    In order to help you increase the number of combat rounds, we need to know how you conduct your attacks.Which loss settings?
    How much time is left after the first round?
    Is the Artillery on direct support or tactical/dug in?

Let us know and we will see what we can do.
    ...the troops of love are pulling out...(D.A.D)

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!

Allied turn 5:

First jpg is at beginning of turn, 2nd jpeg is after 2nd (and last) round of combat.

First phase: Moved units forward to support asslt on Pesaro. Assaulted Pesaro with 4 Bn. all on limit losses. Artillery support (I clicked on the art. in the plan attack pane, so that makes it direct support doesnt it?)

Also Moved Stratcone Bn to south of montechio along with the Westminster Rgt. Both on limit loss assaulting Montechio.

In the east:

without moving attacked monticalvo with the 27th gurka and the 3/12 Frontier. limit losses.

msg at bottom of screen said planned combat 40%, turn used 0.

At end of combat round Message window said 50% Turn remaining:

I succeded in occupying Pesaro, both other assaults failed.

For next phase I assaulted Foglia with units moved into Pesaro, set on LL

repeated same assault on Montechio and Monticalvo.

Turn ended after this assault phase.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Users Flag!
    First jpg is at beginning of turn, 2nd jpeg is after 2nd (and last) round of combat.

First phase: Moved units forward to support asslt on Pesaro. Assaulted Pesaro with 4 Bn. all on limit losses. Artillery support (I clicked on the art. in the plan attack pane, so that makes it direct support doesnt it?)

Also Moved Stratcone Bn to south of montechio along with the Westminster Rgt. Both on limit loss assaulting Montechio.

In the east:

without moving attacked monticalvo with the 27th gurka and the 3/12 Frontier. limit losses.

msg at bottom of screen said planned combat 40%, turn used 0.

At end of combat round Message window said 50% Turn remaining:

I succeded in occupying Pesaro, both other assaults failed.

For next phase I assaulted Foglia with units moved into Pesaro, set on LL

repeated same assault on Montechio and Monticalvo.

Turn ended after this assault phase.
    A few comments.
    1. In your screen shots many of your artillery units are either in mobile or Local reserve deployment. In these deployments they will not support any attacking or defending units. Put them into tactical reserve or defending, so that they will support your attcks.
    2. Clicking on an artillery unit in the combat planner will make it fire directly. Be sure that the ART unit has sufficient movement pointdirect fire mission will eat a lot of your turn.

3.I normally leave most of the ÁRT units in tactical and only use a few for direct fire missions.

4. 40% of the round for the first attack round is quite a lot. I would suggest holding off those attacks that spends more than 20%, for the next rounds. The first round ate 10% extra. Had you used units that had only used 20% of their MPs you would have had 70% left after the first round.

5. The goal of the first round or two against a fortified position is to soften up the defenders (preferably putting them into mobile deployment), and countering the defensive artillery, thus paving the way for the big assault once that has been achieved. I normally use the direct attack limit losses for the softening up attacks.

Hope this helps a little.
    ...the troops of love are pulling out...(D.A.D)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast