Just a couple of thoughts while I'm waiting for Rickie's first turn to arrive.
I've been played Elmer a couple of time, and noticed him doing things I can't explain.
1) Elmer doesn't pre-emptively destroy the LW on Turn 1 (which he's perfectly capable of doing). Any idea why not? Do they really just not matter?
2) Elmer doesn't even try to maintain formation cohesion. He's got Poles and Indians and Canadians and British and Nepalese stacked together all over the map. What is this costing Elmer? Put another way, if my opponent keeps his formations together for better support (or not), will it make any difference in this scenario? And how would one tell?
3) I really don't want to cycle thru the unit report for each Allied unit, so is there any way to tell if any of his units have air-drop or amphib capabilities?
4) Ditto for units with Major Ferry capabilities (other than engineers).
5) Is there a reason my arty cannot direct-fire on his naval unit when it's in range, and do not support the defenders that are being shelled during his half of the turn?
6) I've been using Flak units as tank-destroyers; would I be better off digging them in and hoping they do some damage to Allied interdiction air strikes?