Page 5 of 126 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Reading "The Afghan Campaign" by Steven Pressfield. He also wrote "Gates of Fire". TAC is okay, but, "Gates of Fire" was great.

Official ***** Dickweed bendizoid's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Since my avatar is Rommel, I have decided to reread David Ivrings "The Trail of the Fox". It was one of the first "war" books I read at about 15 years old. Back then I thought Rommel was the $hit and it made a lasting impression on me, but now I'm not so sure. Its been about 30 years.

My Mom found it the back of some book shelf,
    Bob

Now now...

I think your 15 year old impression is still true ie Rommel is da **** and da man.

I mean, out numbered, out supplied (although with better weapons?) I mean, c'mon, who wouldn't root for the little guy? (Never you mind that he's fighting for an evil insane genius madman named Hitler)

Mark DV
    GR soon to be Ada, MI

Spec Op Clergy ADMIN Scott Tortorice's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tekay44 View Post
    Reading "The Afghan Campaign" by Steven Pressfield. He also wrote "Gates of Fire". TAC is okay, but, "Gates of Fire" was great.
    I just finished the Gates of Fire. I thought it was very good, a book akin to Jeff Shaara's various series of American history novels. Pressfield found a good mix of martial action with solid character development. He really humanized those epic warriors of long ago.

Now it's time to move forward 1200 years: next up for me, Beowulf. Think I'll go with the recent Seamus Heaney edition.

BTW: Looks like they will be releasing a '300'-like movie soon for Beowulf:

[YOUTUBE]v9qpqyO_dmU[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by Scott Tortorice; 23 Aug 07 at 01:36.
    Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer!

I got from the library...

1941 about the year in sports ie Dimaggio, Williams, Joe Louis, and Seabiscuit with all the stuff boiling over and getting ready to happen in the world at large...

Mark DV

Repressed Dissident 'Ol Fezziwig's Avatar
    Just finished The Peloponnesian War, Dead Sleep; reading Heart of Darkness and A Series of Unfortunate Events (my daughter insists I read them!).

Up next likely In Flanders Fields and/or The Eloquent President.

A War and Peace reread, Canterbury Tales and The Name of the Rose beckon...

Blog Entries
    God is Not Great by Christopher Hutchins and The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein.

Blog Entries
    Started reading Masters of the Air during summer. It's really good and am enjoying it...until this dreadful thing called school started up again. Now I'm reading 1984 for english class. It's alright, nothing that I'm interested in but I think it's okay and that the author really seemed to have been some sort of genius to write it lol.
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."
    Good Tunes

I am reading Almost a Miracle: American Victory in the War for Independence by John Ferling.

I am only about 60 pages into it so far but it is turning out to be quite and excellent read.

Amazon Review -http://www.amazon.com/Almost-Miracle-American-Victory-Independence/dp/0195181212

Ben
    "He who fights monsters must take care lest he become a monster. When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Spec Op Clergy ADMIN Scott Tortorice's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just finished revisiting a book from long ago: General Sir John Hackett's The Third World War: August 1985. Still a good book, but a bit drier than I remembered. Re-reading it almost thirty years after its initial publication, I found some of his predictions about the post-Soviet world to be intriguing. He forecast the coming of the 'telecommuter age' where national governments will be eclipsed by ad hoc community governments. He was correct about the telecommuting part but we have yet to see a serious degradation in the power of national governments.
    Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer!

Page 5 of 126 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast