Page 4 of 170 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Junk Science Debunker The Doctor's Avatar
    Users Flag!
    Quote Originally Posted by Custer6
    Hi Doctor,
    I read that book too. I thought it was great. About the only thing I found disappointing was the lack of credit given to USArmy artillery. Atkinson seems to have ignored the very important contribution this branch of the armed forces made to the victory.

Great stuff on the relationship among the Generals with each other. Even among the Generals, friends fired friends. Says alot about the commitment of the USArmy to victory.
    Custer6

I agree on the Arty' omission. The way he tracked the activation of the National Guard units through training, deployment and combat was very well done. I've also read his Gulf War book, Crusade and thought it was well done. Have you heard when he may release the second book in the Liberation Trilogy?

The Doctor
    "Exitus acta probat"(The ends justify the means)
    --George Washington’s Family Motto

"The cause of America is in a great measure the cause of all mankind."
    -- Thomas Paine (1776)

Hoarding ASL items....... Kevin Kenneally's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Users Flag!
    Many books about Stalingrad:

Battle of Stalingrad - Marshal Vasili Chuikov, 1968

Two hundred Days of Fire - Progress Publishers, Moscow, 1963.

Secret of Stalingrad - Walter Kerr, 1979

Stalingrad; Defeat of the German 6th Army - Paul Carell, 1980s....

Kevin

Users Flag!
    A Lonely Kind of War: Forward Air Controller, Vietnam
    by MARSHALL HARRISON

Just finished it, for the second time.

It is a narrative by a FAC flying OV-10 Broncos in the mid-late 60's. One of the better Vietnam books I have read.

Users Flag!
    I recently picked up Redcoats: The British Soldier and War in the Americas, 1755-1763 by Stephen Brumwell. It's one I've been wanting to get for awhile now.

"Drawing on wide-ranging research in North American and British archives, he revises the standard negative view of the ordinary British soldiers and their officers. This negative view sees the rank and file as the dregs of society who obeyed orders only out of fear of the lash, while their officers tended to be unimaginative fops or fools who had purchased their commissions. While not denying that there is an element of truth in these stereotypes, Brumwell demonstrates that by the end of the war Britain's "American Army" had become a flexible, impressive fighting machine. Brumwell notes the irony that George Washington's Continental Army owed much of its success to its emulation of the British army in the Seven Years' War.

Recent scholarship has highlighted the significance of the Seven Year's War for the destiny of Britain's Atlantic empire. This major study offers an important new perspective through a vivid and scholarly account of the regular troops at the sharp end of that conflict's bloody and decisive American campaigns. Fresh sources are employed to challenge enduring stereotypes regarding both the social composition and military prowess of the "redcoats". Stephen Brumwell shows how the humble soldiers who fought from Nova Scotia to Cuba developed a powerful esprit de corps that equipped them to defy savage discipline in defence of their "rights." He traces the evolution of Britain's "American Army" from a feeble, conservative and discredited organization into a tough, flexible and innovative force whose victories ultimately won the respect of colonial Americans."
    Last edited by HiredGoon; 05 Jan 05 at 22:59.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    Custer6

I agree on the Arty' omission. The way he tracked the activation of the National Guard units through training, deployment and combat was very well done. I've also read his Gulf War book, Crusade and thought it was well done. Have you heard when he may release the second book in the Liberation Trilogy?

The Doctor
    Hi Doc,
    The next volume was originally scheduled for this year but it was put off until 2006 while Atkinson worked on a different project. I think the new project is involved with the current war in Iraq.

I liked "Crusade" too.

Users Flag!
    Quote Originally Posted by Custer6
    Hi Doctor,
    About the only thing I found disappointing was the lack of credit given to USArmy artillery. Atkinson seems to have ignored the very important contribution this branch of the armed forces made to the victory.
    In all fairness, Atkinson does acknowledge the contribution that Irwin's artillerymen made to stopping Rommel at Thala.
    I used to think I was indecisive; now I'm not so sure

Users Flag!
    I've just started reading Garbo: The Spy that saved D-Day. I think it has all his messages that he sent and recieved, translated thankfully.

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!
    Finished "Iron Tigers" by Michael Farmer
    Started "The Influence of Air Power upon History" by Walter J. Boyne
    Last edited by D-ploy; 17 Jan 05 at 16:14.

Users Flag!
    Just Finished "Armegeddon to the Fall of Rome".

Just starting "Holy War: The Crusades and the Shaping of the Modern Middle East". Looks to be informative since the author is approaching the subject from all three viewpoints (Judaism, Christianity, Islam).
    The Purist

"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are an assault of thought on the unthinking" - John Maynard Keynes

Forum Guardian
    Users Flag!
    Hello,

I've read some of few following books...I don't remember titles exactly, so please excuse me if I got them wrong...it's just off my head...

The most important book of all, the King James Version Bible!

FDR's Folly by Jim Powell, it describes how FDR prolonged Depression.

Iraq War by John Keegan, a summary of Operation Iraqi Freedom, a good book if you like Keegan.

Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell, another book on economics

Plymouth Plantaton by William Bradford, edited by Samuel Eliot Morris (1950 edition), a great book that tries to keep language changes to a minimum, thus rendering the quality of original manuscript.

Mayflower and Pilgrims by David Beale, a book on journey of Pilgrims and how they became America's spiritual ancestors.

Well, that's it...

Dan

Page 4 of 170 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 104 ... LastLast