Thread: Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault

Spec Op Clergy ADMIN Scott Tortorice's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Angry Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault

Today I decided to *finally* complete the last mission (Tarawa) in Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault so I could remove it from my HD. But I hit a snag that is really annoying me:

After you blow up the Japanese communications center (the one with the radio tower and the two tanks parked out front), you are tasked with destroying 5 artillery pieces. Problem is, all my demo charges disappear on me! I had four going into the assault on the comm center, and I use one to kill the first tank and a second charge to blow up the radio tower. At a minimum, I should have two left over. But as soon as I begin the next mission (the one where you need to clear out the underground tunnels), all my demo charges disappear from my inventory and I cannot locate any others. How can I blow up 5 artillery pieces with no demo charges?!? Am I missing a stash somewhere?

Any ideas? This is really starting to annoy me as I have replayed this part of the game about five times without finding any charges.

Forum Regular
    Users Flag!
    I haven't played the mission, but I have the strategy guide so I did some checking for you. It doesn't say anything about where to get charges. However, it does it say to use charges in a lot of places for taking out the guns and tanks. The only thing I saw was several times it mentions to check the bunkers for ammo. Don't know if that helps, but there you go straight from the Prima Official Game Guide.

Ken

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!
    Thanks for checking for me. This one really has me scratching my head. I cannot locate any charges whatsoever. And the fact that my remaining charges disappear seems to indicate that I need to find new charges. All I can figure out is maybe I am meant to bypass this objective and come back to it after I assault the last stronghold (maybe they have some charges). If not, what can I do? DELETE THE GAME, THAT'S WHAT!!!

LOL!

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

I finally finished it!

So, as I sat in front of my computer in a rapidly cooling house, waiting for the oil furnace repairman to show up (it was 1:30am), I figured it was the perfect opportunity to try and finish Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault.

After about an hour, I did finish it!

That problem I had with not having any satchel charges to blow up the guns, well, it turned out to be a moot point. By the simple expedient of desperately hitting any key I could think of, I discovered that the "F" key can magically conjure up all the explosives you need! Hence I wasted a lot of time looking for satchel charges that didn't exist. This solution strikes me as odd as I always recall actually needing to get the supplies that are required to finish a mission. Oh well.

Overall, I found MoH:PA to be good, but not great (certainly not as good as the original game which I consider one of the finest FPS ever). A lot of the cut scenes were cheesy with stock WWII characterizations. The missions were fun but not particularly memorable (except for the ridiculous portion when you are required to pilot a fighter and attack an enemy carrier---yeah, that's realistic). I also found this installment of the MoH series to be much more difficult with lots of incremental saving and restoring (however, this might be do to the fact that I played this game at its moderate difficulty setting). Regardless, this noticeably increased difficulty made the game more annoying than enjoyable at many points.

As for the idea of using a medic instead of health kits (albeit, health kits made an appearance too), I chalk this up to the "more realistic but less enjoyable" category. It can be very annoying to have to hear a battle rage all around you while you stare up at the sky waiting for the medic to come heal you. Like the saving and restoring, these medical sessions served to break-up the fluidity of the action and add to the annoyance factor.

My favorite part of MoH:PA was the sound. Like the Call of Duty series, gunfights sounded completely realistic, from the roar of a full blown battle, to the pops and snaps of isolated skirmishing. The sound really impressed me.

All told, I would say that while MoH:PA was fun and had some novel ideas, it ultimately came across as a bloated FPS. There were good times, but also lots of drama and realism fluff (such as the squad commands) that added little to the enjoyment of the game. When it comes to FPS, I say keep it simple, and MoH:PA was hardly that.

Gameplay: 29
    Graphics: 13
    Sound: 10
    Interface: 13
    Technical: 5
    Documentation: 3
    Reviewer's Tilt: 5

78%
    Last edited by Scott Tortorice; 20 Jan 07 at 03:39.

Now wants a PS3..... NeedPSPNow's Avatar
    Users Flag!
    Nice review, do you know if the multiplayer is any good? Also MOH:PA or COD 3?

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!
    Afraid I didn't try the multiplayer (I'm not much for multiplayer games). I haven't tried COD 3 either, but I did hear good things about the game.