Thread: game sharing & Sony PSP WiFi Wireless USB Internet Connection

Post game sharing & Sony PSP WiFi Wireless USB Internet Connection

Firstly, i have been reading a lot about "game sharing". My son has two games that work on this option, but at the moment we do not have a wireless connection for him to go online with (only wired). From what i can gather, the person with the game starts the game up and goes into the game sharing option within the game. Both wifi switches must be on. Then the person with the game confirms the game share. Then the other person without the game goes into the game menu on the PSP main screen and chooses the game sharing option. Then the PSP's should find each other and you should be able to play a 2 player game.

I understand that you go into "network settings" and set it up on the "AD HOC MODE". Does it then just work or do you still need to be online??

Also :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-PSP-WiFi-...QQcmdZViewItem

Would this work to enable the psp to go online, when the pc has broadband, but through a wired home network ??? ie, you plug the dongle into the pc and this then acts as the wireless connection for the psp, whilst using the actual broadband connection we have through our wired system??

Any help would be great :up:

Users Flag!
    Ok - theres no need for a wireless router to play between 2 PSPs locally (ad-hoc) but if you want to play online (infrastructure) you will need a wireless router (netgear ones are good, and usually less that 60 quid)

The wi-fi dongle won't work for infrastructure mode, but it will allow the PSP to connect to the PC like it was in ad-hoc mode - you can then use tunneling software (like XLink-Kai) to play local multiplayer game with people over the internet but to use actual online (including the web browser) you need a wireless router

Hope that helps

Can you "game share" with only one other person? i gave 3 teenagers boys sat upstairs waiting lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bootaaay

The wi-fi dongle won't work for infrastructure mode
    Generally, this is correct. But in this case, this USB dongle acts as an access point (whereas most only support ad-hoc) so this will allow you to use the Web browser through the host PC's Internet connection.

to be honest, i dont think he is bothered about using the psp for a web browser as such, just to be able to play online gaming. Like i said, we already have a wired network set up and 5 pcs running off it, so i really dont want to have to go out and buy yet another router, if something like that dongle would work for the gaming side of the psp

Quote Originally Posted by sam
    to be honest, i dont think he is bothered about using the psp for a web browser as such, just to be able to play online gaming.
    Web browser requires an access point like online gaming, so if he wants online gaming he needs an access point.

It is possible to play games not designed for online play over the Internet, but this is not referred to as infrastructure gaming.

do you know of any other ubs dongles that work? ie tried and tested by anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by sam
    do you know of any other ubs dongles that work? ie tried and tested by anyone?
    I think most dongles can technically support it, but their drivers rarely support AP mode.

This dongle is apparently supposed to support AP but I haven't tested it.

In any case, you'd be better off getting a wireless router-- it is easier to configure, less hassle and no host computers need to be powered up all the time to provide net access.