It just struck me that it might be possible to play a MP campaign where a group of us fight the AI. One person would run the game and fight the battles but a C-in-C would issue strategic objectives and general orders while division commanders would issue cruising and tactical orders to their divisions.
How it might work in more detail is this:
1) We play the Russians. The Russians are better to play vs the Japanese AI as I think it produces the more demanding and interesting camapign.
2) I will run the game on my PC on short slices of about 12 or 24 hours and report back here at the end of each 'turn'.
3) There will be a Russian C-in-C based at Port Arthur (Vice Admiral). There will be a Vladivostok Commander (Rear Admiral). These two should work together although the PA guy is boss.
4) There will be one player for each TF (Captains) who will receive orders from their respective admiral and conduct operations. Note some players may command TFs of single ships (raiders).
5) The Vlad and/or PA admirals may still retain direct control of 1 TF each if they wish or conduct the war from ashore - up to them.
6) Each player would need to send me by e-mail or PM or forum post (not decided yet) their cruising orders for the 'turn' ahead (a day or whatever).
7) Each Admiral should issue general rules of engagement - when to engage, when to run when to try something clever. And then each TF commander would issue me more detailed 'standing orders' on what sort of encounters they will press to a conclusion or disengage from.
8) At the end of each cruise when a TF returns to base that Captain will be reassigned another TF by his Admiral and go off and do something else.
9) Outrageous role-playing is to be encouraged at all times.
10) I hope Don Maddox could set us up a 'MP Campaign' forum area where all discussion can take place.
A couple of questions:
A) Anyone interested? We'd probably need a minimum of 6 and a maximum of about 12 players - can we get enough from our current forum membership? Can anyone get others interested from their wargaming circles - they don't actually need teh game, just forum access.
B) Can this be made to work?
C) Any suggestions?