Thread: JFrederiksen vs Jesdazone2

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!

JFrederiksen vs Jesdazone2

Ok, so here is my turn 3.
    This turn I focused a lot more on manouver and a lot less on combat than in the other two turns. I think that overall it paid me a pretty good dividend, although I am committing absolutely everything that I have, thereby taking enormous risk, but also possibly reaping great reward. I managed only three combat rounds, but I pretty much knew that beforehand, and anything more would only have been a bonus.
    Good things:
    - I managed to create a pocket containing six German battalions, including all the armour of the 21st Pz-division at Caen.
    - I made even deeper penetrations than previously near St. Lo and both SW and SE of Caen.
    - I almost cut off the Cotentin Peninsula, although only with a single company...
    - I engaged almost all his reinforcements, thereby severely hampering his options in regards to shifting forces.

Bad things:
    - For the second turn in a row, ALL my air units except for my two heavy bombers are reorganizing, meaning I cannot use even a single fighter bomber anywhere...
    - I am spread dangerously thin, and am in severe risk of taking heavy losses if the Germans launch a concentrated counteroffensive.
    - My units are getting dangerously worn out, as I am pressing my attacks everywhere.

The potential benefits of this turn are very good for me and absolutely devastating for the German player, but a lot can still go wrong, and I will probaly have to wait another two or three turns to see which way it goes.
    Please give me any feedback if you have any.
    Jacob
    Last edited by JFrederiksen; 31 Jul 06 at 17:28.

Forum Veteran
    Users Flag!
    How much TOAW have you played previously? For this to be Turn 3, it looks like your opponent failed completely in developing any line, anywhere. There's nothing that I can really add in that you aren't facing any significant kind of threat that would have much of a chance to reverse your situation. What enemy exists is in pockets, on the way to being in pockets, and generally...well...I have a hard time imagining a deployment that would get so much killed so fast...what's your opponent been doing?

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!
    In this game I think that my opponent is trying to build his line too far forward, meaming I can attack him immediately when he is either mobile or only defending, and most often in bad defensive terrain. He is trying much too hard to counterattack, and not enough to defend. Plus, I think he has a habit of attacking vulnerable units at bad spots instead of better prepared units in decisive locations, which I am of course trying to get him to continue to do by "feeding" him non-important small victories.
    I have only played a little TOAW, and this is my first TOAW III, but what little I have played have been mostly FITE 4.2 and 5.0 with two scenarios against Snefens, one of the designers, which really made me progress, and one against another opponent.
    But in this game it would seem that I am a bit on the experienced side compared to my opponent. But I guess he recieves some advice on the Germans side of the forums?

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!
    Turn 4:
    Things are slowly consolidating for me. I made small gains in the Utah area, but managed to rout all (I hope) of his arriving untis, which bodes well for the next couple of turns. His units at Carentan are completely cut off, and a regimental-sized unit of mine has cut off the Cotentin Peninsula.
    At Omaha I really got things going, and took both St. Lo and Torigni this turn. Unfortunately I could not spare any units to actually defend the towns, so they will probably be re-taken by the Germans. Near Caen I completed the encirclement of the 21st Pz-division, and expect to annihilate it in a round or two. Bayeux also finally fell, freeing up two brigades worth of infantry from the 50th division, which is badly needed if I am to contain his armoured reinforcements.
    The Germans did try a number of fierce counterattacks this round, and although I lost most of them they are mostly insignificant. The German player is now suffering heavily due to the fact that I am able to attack his reinforcements whenever they appear, and are thus in mobile deployment. I am now out of range of my ships, and my medium bombers have all withdrawn, so I expect a tougher going from now on.

Good things:
    - Managed to almost clear the road to Cherbourg.
    - Managed to take St. Lo and Torigni, however short-lived that might be.
    - Totally cut off his remaining units at Caen. Only a miracle can save them now.
    - My air force is working again, finally. They are all interdicting his movements, except the heavy bombers.

Bad things:
    - Got only three combat rounds, but again that was expected.
    - Most of my initial divisions, including most of my available armour, is now severly depleted, and I expect to begin to loose whole battalions in a turn or two. I lost more tanks this round than in the other rounds combined.
    - 12th SS will be able to break free from my encirclement to the south if the German player so chooses, as I was unable to properly extricate my engaged units that was supposed to completely seal those units off.

All in all a very good turn, and I think I pretty much have the German player in the bag. He could, however, get lucky in counterattacking me, and thus create severe problems in my rear areas, as well as cut off my most forward units.

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!
    Turn 5:
    I am only making slow progress now, but that is not a problem since I have engaged and tied down most og the German forces in theater. I fully expect Cherbourg to fall within the next couple of turns, and I also managed to take Carentan this turn, and have thus secured almost all of my objectives.

Good things:
    - Destroyed the easternmost fortification line guarding Cherbourg, making entering the city a formality, unless he recieves significant reinforcements.
    - Managed to destroy a fair portion of his enciecled units all over the map. Estimated about seven battalions, mostly infantry.
    - My air units are all ready again, and interdiction should prevent him from moving large numbers of troops to counterattack.
    - Both the 21st Pz and the 12th SS are by now heavily decimated, and would be labelled as "destroyed" if not for their resilient armoured battalions.

Bad things:
    - German armour is exremely hard to kill, especially the heavy tank battalions, which I found out the hard way. I lost an entire armoured battalion for one of his Tigers...
    - Even pocketed, his armoured divisions pose a formidable opponent, and are very hard to destroy indeed.
    - My losses got even higher this round, with three entire battalions evaporating when engaging his armour, even when supported by naval guns, artillery and air units.

I definately learned a thing or two about German armour this turn, as well as pressing units too far.
    I have pretty much won the battle already, and only in the SE and SW corner of the map is there still room for him to manouver.
    I have the feeling my opponent has pretty much given up on this scenario, as he is only counterattacking, and not even digging his units in or doing much manouvering.

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!

The End?

We are now doing turn 9.
    My opponent has asked if he could be allowed to surrender, and I feel this is the right course of action, as he is utterly destroyed in every way.
    He failed to close the gaps in his front in the first couple of turns, leading to massive enveloping battles in which more than 90% of his forces were destroyed.
    There is no point in continuing this fight, as it is unlikely either he or I will learn anything more from this.
    Could we be allowed to suspend hostilities?
    Enclosed is turn number 9.
    Jacob

Forum Veteran
    Users Flag!
    Yes - if the two of you agree upon a surrender being the best course, that is more than reasonable. Maybe explain a few of the things that he could have done better so he gets something more from the experience.

Congratulations on your victory! That's one for the Allied side - will have to start gathering the reports, soon. Sounds pretty much like you had a good grasp of TOAW before you started the workshop, but would welcome any notes you would have for other new comers and what you think are the most important elements of the game to understand?

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!

End-game conclusions

Here are my "lessons learned" from this scenario:
    - The first round is crucial. Grab as much ground as possible, and do not worry about being in mobile deployment or in poor defensive terrain. If the German player chooses to perform major counter-attacks immediately, he will run the risk of being caught in mobile deployment himself, thereby allowing you to enter a battle of attrition, which the allied player should win.
    - When building a defensive line, be very careful not to build it too far forward and before you have enough units to properly man it. If you do not think the line can hold, you are better off doing a hedgehog-type of defense, in which you slow your opponent down and grind down some of his offensive capabilities, before making a true defensive line.
    - Reinforce your succeses, not your failures. If you achieve a breakthrough, throw EVERYTHING you have in reserve into that sector. Win big, lose big. It paid off big time for me this game.
    - Getting a lot of combat rounds isnīt as important in TOAW 3 as in the "old" TOAW, because it seems like you are more likely to rout even opponents who are dug in if you have adequate support available. So more focus on maneuver is probably the lesson here. I do not remember having more than 3 combat rounds in a single turn this game...
    - Armor is a battle-winner. Use it concentrated, well rested, in decisive spots and at the right time, and you will stand a good chance of succes.

That was the main things I got out of this workshop concerning TOAW 3.
    Hope you can use it.
    Jacob