Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The unofficial Distant Guns 'wish list'

Statistics:

1. I would like to see how many hits of what caliber or torpedo each of my ships has taken.

2. I would like to see how many of the above each of my ships has inflicted.

Totally unrealistic, but I don't care...inquiring minds want to know. Medals to hand out and all that. If anyone has a cow over it, make it optional or make it available only post-battle.

Noob Recruit
    A filter on the messages would be nice.
    There is much going on, non critical issues, so that more often then not, you miss the really critical ones.

1) I think that a "gunnery log", much in the way of FS, could be really useful.
    2) I couldn't organize a line astern formation at all, nor an echelon... I don't think that the only way to organize fleets and division was the battleline?
    3) Ramming. Bring back the ramming... It worked! Victoria and Camperdown showed that it could be really harmful, and if we're dealing also with "what-if" scenario we had to cope also with crazy, stupid or simply tough admirals. As an italian I shouldn't say this, but I always wanted to emulate Tegethoff...
    4) Still didn't tried, but... I don't know if ships can engage multiple targets. I mean, most of the ships in that period had broadside main armament (e.g. Russian armoured cruiser) just to engage port and starboard foes int the same time. A "Trafalgar like" tactic has two completely differents meanings if you can engage on both sides or not...

Just as a start... Great work, however!

Forum Conscript
    I definitely agree with you Bender2k.

Cheers
    J

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead
    There' a hotkey-only command (as in you'll never see it on the pop-up menue) to make a ship fire at a specific other ship. Using that command, you can do all the things you listed, at the cost of micromanagement and frequent game pauses.
    Is this not in the menus already? Select a friendly ship, place the cursor over an enemey ship, then right click and there should be a target this ship option. This seems to work for me.

The big wish I guess of many grognards would be for more fog of war - even as an option. That's essentially what naval battles are about aren't they? Spot a puff of smoke on the horizon [not 30 kilometeres away! - see below] go and scout it and as you get closer things get clearer - it's one ship, it's a biggish ship, it seems to be heading this way, it's a cruiser size, oh it's one of ours or whatever etc.] Not EXACT details of the enemy ship, course, plotted course, speed at immense ranges!! There is no way to lead ships on to a battle line for instance or set traps. I agree once it is identified then pull out the Janes details, fair enough.

This fog of war extends to the status screens and the like. In a CG I could see one cruiser and sent my battle line over. Clicked on the staus screen to be told the enemy had 10 ships! So much for tension and surprise :-)!

This game is quite phenomenal and has a great future. I've had my money's worth already. So lets be constructive and incorporate some extra naval flavour to make it even better.

An observer at a height of 20m can see the horizon at only 16km under ideal conditions. Check out.
    http://newton.ex.ac.uk/research/qsys...ysics/horizon/

cheers
    David

Forum Conscript
    I notice that in the DG FAQ Jim and Norm have seen fit to rubbish other naval games by saying that "Most 3D naval simulations are just glorified arcade games and they cheat when it comes time to resolve shell fire..." I submit that DG is also a "glorified arcade game" in terms of its view options.

One thing the DG lacks is any feeling that you are actually onboard a ship, in the ancient Microprose game "Task Force 1942" your view was as in real life from the bridge or observation deck of the lead ship and your manouvers were initiated on a 2d map plot much more realistic than the seagulls eye 3d strategy control of DG.

It would be good if DG had a "realistic view" option where you were located on the bridge / spotting top of the lead ship and plotted your maneuvres on a full screen 2d chart rather than in the 3d world and only had a standard pair of naval 7x50 binoculars. This would eliminate the need for all of the text on screen and all of the arcade like haloing of ships and ugly course lines drawn in the 3d world and give the game a far more realistic feel.

Forum Conscript
    Random battles are fun to play, but it wouldn't hurt to give players some more control over the scenario settings, ie. being able to select what kind of ships take part in the battles. I don't mean a scenario editor (though that would be something!), just a few more variables to fiddle with than the force strength and time of day sliders we now have.

Many people seem to want more micromanagement, but I don't. The game is very enjoyable to play even with all the bugs, and I prefer being the admiral who makes the big decisions rather than some supply clerk who counts the shells and bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by sonarman
    It would be good if DG had a "realistic view" option where you were located on the bridge / spotting top of the lead ship and plotted your maneuvres on a full screen 2d chart rather than in the 3d world and only had a standard pair of naval 7x50 binoculars. This would eliminate the need for all of the text on screen and all of the arcade like haloing of ships and ugly course lines drawn in the 3d world and give the game a far more realistic feel.
    This is all well and good, but where do you draw the line between a ship "simulator" and a wargame. Surely DG is a wargame?

Forum Conscript
    Even Norm & Jim themselves seem to be struggling with that distinction...from the DG site:
    "The boys have been busy conjuring up a completely new 3D gaming engine, capable of all aspects of PC Wargaming and Simulation on all gaming fronts. "Distant Guns!" culminates a four year effort by Storm Eagle Studios to create the next generation of the strategy and simulation gaming experience!"

I think a mix of both is best of all, like Task Force 1942 which straddled both genres perfectly. Two genres = twice as many customers and twice as many reasons to make a sequel!

Some of the greatest games are those that refuse to be pidgeonholed into a particular genre like the great games of Sid Meier e.g Pirates!

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast