Thread: Joss: Turns

Forum Conscript

Joss: Turns

Guys,

Here's turn 3... I decided to take some risks against this player and got some good returns, but with a good number of units left without defensive posture set. Most were attacking when turn ended.

Results:

Took Carentan
    Took Isigny
    Took Trevieres
    Swept out the Omaha beachead
    Brits and Yanks joined beaches.
    Bayeux held
    Expanded 6th AB in Pegasus Bridge area
    Ripped a few holes in the LaHayes-St Sauveur line

Next turn I'll definitely have to look for consolidation. He could sting me this turn - we'll see what he does.

I'm posting the turn
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Veteran
    Joe, your situation is looking good...everywhere, really.

35, 30 might present a target of opportunity - not overstacked, but that many units in one hex not dug in... possible, though he has other issues to worry about.

The drive to Cherbourg is likely to be attritional - though as events unfold, your 4th Infantry Division will have the option to sweep around his line toward Cherbourg or sweep south west to St. Lo. You will likely have enough reinforcements to do both - without significantly worrying about splitting your forces.

Omaha's looking good - as is everything to the East - so just keep doing what you've been doing.

Prioritize getting some space around Pegasus Bridge by Turn 8. He's got a good bit of armor in the area. Instead of taking it head on, create a crisis for him somewhere else perhaps that he will want to use his Panzers to seal off.

Probably use some engineers at 82.35 - add another and leapfrog a few units as needed. That'll at least get you on the way to getting some flank attacks.

Good job!

Forum Conscript
    Well, I guess my position was too good .... my opponent resigned... he's a very new player and thought he was a bit overwhelmed with the size of the scenario...

Heinz, if you would be so kind as to find me another opponent - if one is available.

i strongly recommend to forbid resigning in such a scenario

1) the scenario is really short 13 turns is not the end of the world.
    2) in this case the situation is even, no sides can claim the victory by this time.
    3) on such a small map, unless you have lost most of your units there's always the possibility to reverse things at the end of the game.

Forum Conscript
    Quote Originally Posted by viridomaros
    i strongly recommend to forbid resigning in such a scenario

1) the scenario is really short 13 turns is not the end of the world.
    2) in this case the situation is even, no sides can claim the victory by this time.
    3) on such a small map, unless you have lost most of your units there's always the possibility to reverse things at the end of the game.

I don't disagree... but it was totally my opponents idea... not mine. Actually, he's only been able to send a couple of turns back since we began so I believe he may also be time constrained... not like the rest of us derelicts .

Here's the text of his email:

Joss,

I hate to do this, but I am going to surrender. This scenario is just too much for me to handle as a beginner. I was hoping for something a bit smaller for my first one. You are playing really well and I am hopelessly outclassed here. Congratulations.

I think I will concentrate on playing the PO for some of the smaller scenarios until I get a better feel for this game. I'm not giving up playing or trying to learn how to play better.

I hope you had a great vacation. Again, sorry to give up so soon into the scenario, but the outcome is clear.

Robert

unless Heinz find another opponent for you (even in this case if you have the time) i suggest we continue the game and i'll play as axis. You'll have to ask your opponent's password or give me his email address so that i can ask. If i manage to finish the game with at least a draw, your opponent will owe me a beer for next time he comes to Belgium or next time i go where he lives .

If I had had my copy I'd suggest that some perhaps hopeless looking cases - where early on there is only desperation and increased mayhem to look forward too, since a bad start is difficult to reverse - would be able to step aside into special class, and play with and against me or some other veteran, where we could really replay a bad turn to make it better. The goal here is not to be destroyed and never want to pbem again, but rather to improve and climb the learning curve quicker. Heinz, could you ask if General Staff perhaps could take a look at this game and possibly tutor Robert a little bit? Don't know what it looks like over at German HQ.

And Joss, you've been a bad bad boy! Good show! Now give Viri hell.

Forum Conscript
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicke Bertha
    The goal here is not to be destroyed and never want to pbem again, but rather to improve and climb the learning curve quicker. Heinz, could you ask if General Staff perhaps could take a look at this game and possibly tutor Robert a little bit?

Heinz,

I agree with both Viri and Dicke (gee not bad for an American to agree with two euros! From different countries yet! I must be learning... )

Can you get someone on the Axis side to pick up the game and continue play? I'll post my last .pbl turn here.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Veteran
    Well, I know on the Axis side, General Staff is very active assisting anyone who asks questions, with a bit of help from others on the Axis Team and there's lots of information available there. While the focus is to learn, it's pretty much incumbent upon the player to make use of the tools available to them...

I'll find another opponent for you, Joss - though if your last opponent dropped, that's on him. I checked the Axis board and didn't see any posts from him...and if there was, he'd have gotten assistance.

Give me about 24 hours or so and I'll have a new opponent for you. It will be at your opponent's option, however, to start over or continue from where you are at - if that's okay?

Forum Conscript
    Heinz,

That's perfectly fine. Drop me an email when you find an opponent.

You're doing a great job running this workshop!

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz57
    Well, I know on the Axis side, General Staff is very active assisting anyone who asks questions, with a bit of help from others on the Axis Team and there's lots of information available there. While the focus is to learn, it's pretty much incumbent upon the player to make use of the tools available to them...

I'll find another opponent for you, Joss - though if your last opponent dropped, that's on him. I checked the Axis board and didn't see any posts from him...and if there was, he'd have gotten assistance.

Give me about 24 hours or so and I'll have a new opponent for you. It will be at your opponent's option, however, to start over or continue from where you are at - if that's okay?