Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 1st Turn

Forum Conscript

Turn One results

Reporting in to command. Turn 1 sent off.... I have captured all four of he merderet bridges with the 82nd airborne with help froma cavalry btn. Three bridges to Carentan are in our hands. We are slowly working off the Omaha beachhead, and have captured Port en Bessin...

The British have moved quickly inland and have an east -west defensive line along the Creully road. Douvre has fallen and the 22 armored brigade has linked up with the 6th Airborne at Pegasus bridge. All in all seems like a good turn. I'll attach.

Joss out.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Noob Recruit
    1st turn for Allies.

Noob Recruit
    My second turn. Not sure if I should have started a seperate thread for it...

Please let me know if I made any mistakes or if there is room for improvement.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Zavatad

Forum Conscript
    Z,

I really like your position in Carentan, and your position towards Cherbourg. You're going to have to put most of your 82 airborne more or less in defensive mode as they're all in red status and the enemy has cut the bridges (practically giving up St Sauveur from what I can tell) which will keep you from cutting the Cotentin at Barnesvile, say.

What is avialable to you though from your position at Carentan is the ability to pour across the bridges and head toward Lessay cutting the Cotentin.

One downside is the blown bridge at Isigny and your move away from Isigny. This will not allow the Americans to link Omaha and Utah which is somewhat critical. I also believe you have not captured Port en Bessin which I believe offers the Allied a supply benefit (anyone comment on this ??)

Your work with the Brits looks very good. I'd just be cautious of their depleted status - quite a bit of red showing.

Other than that I think you're looking pretty good. If I were the germans I'd probably look to be counterattacking with the 12th ss against your Canadian infantry... keep an eye on that sector as you've got British armor to the west of the lines and to the east but none in the middle looks a bit soft there.

Just my .02

Good show.

Joe

Forum Regular

My Turn

Have some problems at the Merderet Bridges but I'll hit em hard next turn...other than that I figure I had a ok turn... not totally happy but...
    Last edited by Redstorm; 22 Jul 06 at 05:32.

Forum Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley62
    1st turn for Allies.
    Bradley62 -

Curious what you got in terms of # of combat rounds, whether you attacked at minimize/limit/ignore losses? It's really important for you to be able to average at least two rounds of combat per turn, and the more the better. Maybe review some of the materials in the TOAW War College - and feel free to ask questions.

You should be able to get more Automatic Over-runs - where units retreat before combat. Before moving anything, make sure all of your artillery is set to "Tactical Support", your air units on combat support, and your navy within support range. Then, use your strongest armor and right click on any adjacent unit. At that point it'll either retreat or hold its position, but the Auto Overruns are important to get especially against the smaller units.

The other aspect is to continuously advance - secure the bridges. Your opponent will probably blow all the bridges you did not secure, so you will need to devote your engineers to repairing them so you can make use of those lines of advance.

You've done well in keeping your units separated by color/formation. Still, press aggressivly, don't worry about casualties too much as you will have many reinforcements.

Feel free to post questions!

Forum Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstorm
    Have some problems at the Merderet Bridges but I'll hit em hard next turn...other than that I figure I had a ok turn... not totally happy but...
    Redstorm,

It looks like you got a good start - your units are organized by color; a good defensive perimeter around Pegasus Bridge and good advances on all beaches. Omaha can be tough, but you got important T1 advances there.

Only thing to watch out for is leaving your navy in range at the end of the turn, though that can be unavoidable with an early turn ending. Even if you lose a few ships - no biggie - but on that note, it's best to keep them distributed and not stacked together as that presents too much of a target of opportunity.

Good job!

Mark

Noob Recruit
    Heinz, thanks much for interesting and very helpful advice. I need to know exactly what a combat round is. During my turn I would move and/or set up attacks, then resolve those attacks. This pattern was completed 4 times. Even after those 4 repetitions I still had approx. 40% of turn left. So i just decided to end the turn thinking I had too many combat rounds completed. I was wondering if I had just completed 4 rounds of combat?, which of course the scenario is set for 3 per. Wouldn't the scenario restriction prevent you from executing more than 3 rounds?

Oh yes, Arty I would ignore loses. All other ground attacks were "limited".
    Last edited by Bradley62; 22 Jul 06 at 08:11.

Forum Conscript
    Redstorm,

Just one more tip.... not sure if your turn ended abruptly, but you left your 82nd and 101st units without digging them in. Check for entrenching as you approach the end of a turn.

Good job.

Joss

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz57
    Redstorm,

It looks like you got a good start - your units are organized by color; a good defensive perimeter around Pegasus Bridge and good advances on all beaches. Omaha can be tough, but you got important T1 advances there.

Only thing to watch out for is leaving your navy in range at the end of the turn, though that can be unavoidable with an early turn ending. Even if you lose a few ships - no biggie - but on that note, it's best to keep them distributed and not stacked together as that presents too much of a target of opportunity.

Good job!

Mark

Heres my file, didnt take one of the bridges over the Merderat river and don't seem to have pushed as far as everyone else. Hope i'm not in trouble here
    Last edited by mangus2000; 22 Jul 06 at 11:14.
    Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room! - President Merkin Muffley

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast