Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 1st Turn

Noob Recruit
    This is my first turn. I think I had 5-6 rounds in this one since I was using "minimize losses" most of the time. Was very hard to get the bridges over the Merderet River. I didn't use direct bombardement with air and ships besides the last round. I was not sure if they still add their strength to attacks if they are assigned to specific battles, unlike artillery.

Forum Conscript
    My turn went as follows:
    - from 100% to 70%, as I was attacking the beaches on ignore losses.
    - From 70% to 60% with attacks on limit losses against units retreating or not dug in.
    - From 60% to 50 % as above
    - From 50% to 40% as above.
    From 40% to turn end when I attacked a fortified engineer battalion with a tank battalion on limit losses. I should probably have waited with conducting this attack, but felt confident as I was very superior and was supported directly by two battleships and four heavy cruisers. He did sustain heavy losses, but is still fortified...
    But I learned from it!

JFrederiksen, I see nothing wrong there apart from the overconfident last round... Sometimes it works, most often not. As a tanker you should know better than to attack dug in engineers! It looks good anyway, and from what I remember from our previous engagement, your opponent better stay alert!

zavatad: I cannot comment yet on TOAW3 files, but I am sure someone will. And I hope you all will look at each others' sals and discuss, it is not catheder class!

Noob Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicke Bertha
    Two rounds sounds little, and I understand that the first one already consumed much of the turn, the second the rest or almost all of it. Yet losses were low. Were you committing too little, and too cautiously (lack of lossess can make battles go on for longer as no side takes enough casualties to break off). I am a bit confused here.

That is indeed a minimap (searching for the magnifying glass) but form what I can make out, you're also making some nice progress inland...
    Well, in fact my first round took 40%, the battles were mostly inf on "minimize losses" plus *lots* of arty on "ignore losses". This took some time (3 segments) but allowed me to break most of the 1st line defense. In the west and east I could progress by clearing paths with overruns then send the fast units forward.

Maybe I was too cautious, I preferred to avoid losses or weaken units too much, being rather blind about German reserves. I plan to observe where the german player will commit his big units, swamp them and then take risks elsewhere.
    Plus my opponent told me he was a total newbie (which I ain't), so I played it safe (I hope it wasn't a trick ! ).
    About the minimap it's not very readable, but the big picture is 8MB weight and I can't post it here...I will put them online soon on my webspace so it'll be much clearer.

Forum Conscript
    [QUOTE=Dicke Bertha]JFrederiksen, I see nothing wrong there apart from the overconfident last round... Sometimes it works, most often not. As a tanker you should know better than to attack dug in engineers!

Alas, I thought that the Shermans of the British army were at least somewhat comparable to my own beautiful Leopard2A5, which would have cut through the pitiful engineers like a knife through warm butter, not even noticing the bump along the way...
    But then again, this is not TOAW, so lesson learned, which is really what it is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by PDF
    Well, in fact my first round took 40%, the battles were mostly inf on "minimize losses" plus *lots* of arty on "ignore losses". This took some time (3 segments) but allowed me to break most of the 1st line defense. In the west and east I could progress by clearing paths with overruns then send the fast units forward.

Maybe I was too cautious, I preferred to avoid losses or weaken units too much, being rather blind about German reserves. I plan to observe where the german player will commit his big units, swamp them and then take risks elsewhere.
    Plus my opponent told me he was a total newbie (which I ain't), so I played it safe (I hope it wasn't a trick ! ).
    About the minimap it's not very readable, but the big picture is 8MB weight and I can't post it here...I will put them online soon on my webspace so it'll be much clearer.
    Sounds like you know what you're doing!

JFrederiksen: you too. And you have the coolest toy of all people playing TOAW, I am sure!

So I can go on holiday soon, good!

my first turn results:

So um.....I didn't know where to put the AAR kinds of things so I posted it in the AAR section of the forum, the pictures, movies, stuff like that. Also, since my first turn went for 8 ( eight ) rounds I thought maybe some of the new guys might wannu see for themselves how lucky I got so I'm attaching the PBL file so you can watch the playback of the whole thing.

I advanced inland somewhat and killed some German stuff and overall things seem to be going okie dokie.

I'm sorta relatively new at this as well so don't ask me any hard questions, I might lead you astray, but feel free to ask questions. Did that make any sense?

I really feel most of those eight rounds were due to blind luck and not something I'm doing right on my own, so....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Veteran
    Wow Larry - that's a very good turn! I can't see the settings for your aircraft - did you set them to combat support, direct support or interdiction?

That's wicked...ha...I don't think it needs to many comments or tips, will have to start asking you for help now! Dang...

Aircraft support roles

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz57
    ...I can't see the settings for your aircraft - did you set them to combat support, direct support or interdiction?
    At the beginning of turn 1 I had them ALL set to combat support and left them there. During the sixth combat round I needed some direct support and selected one or two for that purpose. Round seven some of them started getting tired ( they were orange health-wise ) so I put the tired ones on "rest" and about the seventh round or so I put all the untired ones on interdiction status. There was only about 40% of the turn left in round seven so I couldn't count on another round so it was important that I set them to "I" then even though there were, as it turned out, two more rounds to go.

Oh......and I used "minimize losses" settings on all the attacks, land units, ships, aircraft, arty, etc. Everybody on "min. losses".

Quote Originally Posted by PDF
    ...About the minimap it's not very readable, but the big picture is 8MB weight and I can't post it here...
    Maybe if you convert the pig from bmp to GIF or JPG it'd be smaller. That's what I do.

Another thing you could do is convert it to GIF, host it at http://imageshack.us/
    and just refer to it thusly:

[ i m g ]http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5145/twoweeksinnormandy1944t3npwalliedarmym001rn3.gif[ / i m g ]

without putting any spaces in the img / img stuff. Like this:

Last edited by larryfulkerson; 21 Jul 06 at 01:17.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast