Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 1st Turn

Forum Veteran
    Users Flag!
    Sounds like you did pretty good! You make a good point about portion of turn remaining and ability to dig in. In some areas, the Germans will be hard pressed just to establish a defense, much less try going on the offensive. On the first turn, you probably won't have to worry too much.

As the game develops, you are going to get a good feel for where things are rough-going. You may see the Axis concentrating attacks on very specific areas. So in these areas, you always want to try to consolidate your positions as much as possible. If you keep one regiment per hex (3 bn), or 1-2 battalions plus divisional support assets...try to keep one dug in, use the others for offensives. Always have another unit ready to move into territory to dig in there, too - while continuing to press the offensive. One unit acts as your shield, the other as your sword.

What's your situation looking like in the Carentan area?

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!
    It is looking pretty ok for me in the Carentan area.
    I have managed to secure Quineville, am just outside Montebourg and three hexes away from Valognes.
    I have firmly in my posession all four bridges across the Merderet as well as both over the Taute river. I am in imminent danger of loosing the bridge at Carentan, though , as I only have a sole airborne battalion that is defending against at least two German airborne battalions that are probably a whole lot more fresh than mine...
    If I could only figure out how to attach map dumps I would gladly show you all how the game is progressing!

Forum Veteran
    Users Flag!
    If you can zip your .sal file - you can attach it here. Well, not here, but in the next post...

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!
    Have we been cleared to begin operations??? I didn't get the telegram!

Joss

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!
    I cannot get it to work. It will not attach when I press "manage attachments"... What am I doing wrong?
    Got it. It was my virus scanner that was denying me the ability to upload...
    Last edited by JFrederiksen; 20 Jul 06 at 10:23.

Noob Recruit
    Users Flag!
    Just played my turn 1 also !
    Didn't bother much with Air on GS, they aren't that powerful, I put a couple Fighters on AS and F/B on Interdiction. I left Med and Hvy bombers on GS as recommended by the scenario briefing.

Things went pretty well on the Utah US side, even if I didn't take Carentan (I wonder how it can be done on turn 1 ?). On Omaha I pushed the defenders but did not press too much to avoid losses, Navy made most of the work.
    On Juno and Sword I didn't really break through due to a couple of stubborn defenders. So I'm 2 hexes from Bayeux only... Airborne is approaching Caen on the east, but I think they won't be able to go far !
    I had 2 rounds, as planned, I didn't micromanage to try to have a 3rd one that won't have given me much space anyway.
    Losses were rather small and much less than historical (no slaughter on the beaches).

A little minimap :
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Veteran
    Users Flag!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joss
    Have we been cleared to begin operations??? I didn't get the telegram!

Joss
    Yes, you may fire at will.

Forum Veteran
    Users Flag!
    A few notes - don't worry about assigning air units to Air Supremacy - the Allies have complete control of the air, no Luftewaffe to contend with. Fighter type air units are useful for assisting in attacks against armor, while they might appear weak, they can be very helpful.

Users Flag!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFrederiksen
    Hej!

Read your T1 description with interest. Could you say how many rounds you got and how they were dispersed? Also, your attacks, were they on igonore losses, normal attack? Curious to know also if the German engineer Bn was dug in when it burnt the rest of your turn.

Look at my Thread on how to take snapshots if you lack other tools for this.

And it sounds like you had a pretty good first round!

Users Flag!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDF
    I had 2 rounds, as planned, I didn't micromanage to try to have a 3rd one that won't have given me much space anyway.

Losses were rather small and much less than historical (no slaughter on the beaches).

A little minimap :
    Two rounds sounds little, and I understand that the first one already consumed much of the turn, the second the rest or almost all of it. Yet losses were low. Were you committing too little, and too cautiously (lack of lossess can make battles go on for longer as no side takes enough casualties to break off). I am a bit confused here.

That is indeed a minimap (searching for the magnifying glass) but form what I can make out, you're also making some nice progress inland...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast