Page 3 of 229 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the forum? Introduce yourself

Users Flag!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wolkey
    Hi, my name is Robert Wolkey. I just started playing a few months ago and I'm a horrible player. I need some new players from Spokane to teach me how to play, so if you're from Spokane send me an email and get an easy win or two.
    Glad to hear you have finally started actually playing instead of that horrid excuse-for-playing you used to do.

You could have elaborated: "an easy win or two" all in a short afternoon.

Just being helpful.
    "Use enough dynamite there, Butch?"

Users Flag!
    >Glad to hear you have finally started actually playing instead of that horrid excuse-for-playing you used to do.

Ouch! Guess I deserved that.

See newbies, if 'Mr. ASL' says you suck, you suck. Come on over and we'll play. There are currently five players in our Spokane ASL group and we have a lot of fun.

Users Flag!
    >Glad to hear you have finally started actually playing instead of that horrid excuse-for-playing you used to do.

Ouch! Guess I deserved that.

See newbies, if 'Mr. ASL' says you suck, you suck. Come on over and we'll play. There are currently five players in our Spokane ASL group and we have a lot of fun.
    Ho-Ho! Kidding of course.

Go play the Wolkster. He's a good one to learn from, as I have learned from him as well.
    "Use enough dynamite there, Butch?"

Hoarding ASL items....... Kevin Kenneally's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Users Flag!
    Hi, my name is Robert Wolkey. I just started playing a few months ago and I'm a horrible player. I need some new players from Spokane to teach me how to play, so if you're from Spokane send me an email and get an easy win or two.
    Talk about laying a trap......
    Kevin Kenneally
    Charter member of the "OFF Squad"
    Visiting your local Army Reserve & National Guard units to play ASL.

Noob Recruit
    Users Flag!
    Hi, new to the forums and to the game. I'm from Upstate New York, currently living in Brunswick but building a home outside of Saratoga. I'm a former Marine and spent about a year in the Gulf during Desert Storm.

I met a few people at the tournament in Albany and have picked up most of the modules etc. I'm going to try and get out to play in Deerfield, MA after speaking with Vic, hopefully that will work out. It definitely seems difficult to "start" playing ASL, alot of older material out there and new players have to try and find a point where they can enter. I've been reading the older journals and annuals, trying to "catch up". Its alot to take in but I've met some great people so far that are bringing me up to speed. Talk to everyone soon.

-Keith

Users Flag!
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    It definitely seems difficult to "start" playing ASL, alot of older material out there and new players have to try and find a point where they can enter.
    Three ways that help to begin :
    - The Starter Kits introduce you to the basic mechanics of the game, without the burden of the more sophisticated sides of ASL.
    - Find a F-t-F experienced opponent (or, better : a gaming club) : most grognards will offer you help and advice.
    - Install VASL : it is free, you can play online or by email, you can find opponents - using a vocal device, like Teamspeak or Skype, helps a lot and makes the experience near to a FtF one.

So, welcome here.
    Use the Rules and Errata subforum to ask all the questions you have about the game. None will be considered "dumb", as no one of us masters the rules so well that he can't learn something new... And veterans have had numerous questions that needed answers too, before they became near self-sufficent gamers.
    Tactical hint from about three millenia ago :
    The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the witless keep going and pay the penalty.
    King Solomon (Proverbs 27.12)

Users Flag!
    >Ho-Ho! Kidding of course.

I knew that.

>Go play the Wolkster. He's a good one to learn from, as I have learned from him as well.

Yeah right. The only thing you learned from me was not to play the Ghurkas in White Tigers as it favors the Japanese. Or not to listen to The Wolkster when he says, "Hey Mark, check out this cool scenario. Want to play? I'd like to be the Japanese!"

Wooo Wooo Wooo, Warning, Warning. Danger Will Robinson.

Users Flag!
    Hello from Iowa. If anyone knows of someone in the Tri-State area (Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa) area, send them my way. I started with SL when I got it as a Christmas present in 1979. I was a big fan of SF Battles and various SPI games along with the early ASL (BV/Yanks).
    Recently, I've become a big fan of eBay, as this has allowed me the opportunity to sell my non-ASL games and complete my ASL (sans Doomed Battalions) collection. I'm reinstalling VASL (hard drive crash) and getting back up to speed on the ASL rules (memory faded while I was punching holes in the Atlantic- bubbleheads unite!). Ready for some ftf action...
    Steve Whites
    Dubuque, Iowa

Noob Recruit
    Users Flag!

Introduction

Hello from Indianapolis. I'm new to ASL but I actually played my first wargame in 1970 (AH Anzio). Although I played a lot of Avalon Hill and SPI games back in the 70's I was not playing much by the time SL and ASL got going. For the last 15 years or so I've primarily played historical miniatures, as well as Mechwarrior. Then last couple of years my interest in boardgames has returned, but while I was aware of ASL it seemed a bit intimidating to figure out where to start, and it was obvious you could spend a lot of money before playing a single game.

A couple of months ago I noticed Starter Kit #1 on the shelf of a local shop and for $21 thought this was a chance to get a feel for ASL without making a major investment. I was fortunate to hook up with another player who was returning to ASL after an absence and was looking to ease back into things. We started up a game of the old scenario Guards Counterattack on VASL and he has been teaching me the game, and explaining things to me has hopefully helped him out as well. We plan on continuing to play on VASL and there is a local wargame club where I am sure I can get a FtF game going at some point.

I can already feel the addiction growing. I not only ordered SK #2 but have pre-ordered Beyond Valor with MMP and have acquired some other modules when I think I find a reasonable price. So far I have Yanks ($30), Paratroopers ($16) and The Last Hurrah ($20).

I do have some questions you can probably help me out with. First, do I need to acquire the Squad Leader boards 1-4 or will those be the same as the 1-4 boards that will be included in the new Beyond Valor?

Next, several modules available now require boards and counters from modules currently out of print. So the debate is whether I should pick up the modules that are in print now hoping modules like West of Alamein and Code of the Bushido will eventually be back in print or just play the ETO scenarios and worry about the PTO and north Africa later. While I've been in a buying frenzy lately, I'm still not willing to pay $200+ for some of the out-of-print stuff.

Three, I'm confused on West of Alamein vs. For King and Country, and do you really need WoA if you have FKaC.

Finally, do you guys keep your counters separated by modules? I was thinking of setting up fishing tackles boxes, but organizing by nationality seems the most logical way to go. I'm also mulling over some thoughts on organizing scenario cards, overlays, etc.

Now if I can just find someone looking to trade ASL stuff for a ton of Mech Warrior miniatures I'll be set.

Users Flag!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcurtis55
    Hello from Indianapolis. I'm new to ASL but I actually played my first wargame in 1970 (AH Anzio). Although I played a lot of Avalon Hill and SPI games back in the 70's I was not playing much by the time SL and ASL got going. For the last 15 years or so I've primarily played historical miniatures, as well as Mechwarrior. Then last couple of years my interest in boardgames has returned, but while I was aware of ASL it seemed a bit intimidating to figure out where to start, and it was obvious you could spend a lot of money before playing a single game.

A couple of months ago I noticed Starter Kit #1 on the shelf of a local shop and for $21 thought this was a chance to get a feel for ASL without making a major investment. I was fortunate to hook up with another player who was returning to ASL after an absence and was looking to ease back into things. We started up a game of the old scenario Guards Counterattack on VASL and he has been teaching me the game, and explaining things to me has hopefully helped him out as well. We plan on continuing to play on VASL and there is a local wargame club where I am sure I can get a FtF game going at some point.

I can already feel the addiction growing. I not only ordered SK #2 but have pre-ordered Beyond Valor with MMP and have acquired some other modules when I think I find a reasonable price. So far I have Yanks ($30), Paratroopers ($16) and The Last Hurrah ($20).

I do have some questions you can probably help me out with. First, do I need to acquire the Squad Leader boards 1-4 or will those be the same as the 1-4 boards that will be included in the new Beyond Valor?

Next, several modules available now require boards and counters from modules currently out of print. So the debate is whether I should pick up the modules that are in print now hoping modules like West of Alamein and Code of the Bushido will eventually be back in print or just play the ETO scenarios and worry about the PTO and north Africa later. While I've been in a buying frenzy lately, I'm still not willing to pay $200+ for some of the out-of-print stuff.

Three, I'm confused on West of Alamein vs. For King and Country, and do you really need WoA if you have FKaC.

Finally, do you guys keep your counters separated by modules? I was thinking of setting up fishing tackles boxes, but organizing by nationality seems the most logical way to go. I'm also mulling over some thoughts on organizing scenario cards, overlays, etc.

Now if I can just find someone looking to trade ASL stuff for a ton of Mech Warrior miniatures I'll be set.
    1st: Welcome! Another future addict falls victim to the lure of the SKs. I'm also a victim.

2nd: The current verion of BV includes boards: 1-5, 8, and 20-23, so yes, boards 1-4 are included.

3rd: If you have FKaC, you do not need the old version of WoA, which included the British order of battle. WoA 2nd edition will feature desert rules, boards, and information counters only. MMP is working on this.

4th: I organize by nationality in plano boxes. Others use Raaco and various other systems.

As for your decision on whether or not to purchase the original WoA and/or CoB on eBay would depend on your level of patience. MMP has stated they are going to reprint these however it will likely be a few years, possibly longer, until they both are reprinted.

On the other hand, there is a ton of great material for the European Theater - likely more than enough to occupy your time until the other modules are reprinted.

JMHO,
    Chris

Page 3 of 229 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast