Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: c4 corner cutter impressions

Users Flag!

c4 corner cutter impressions

just wanted to make a few comments on this product. i received it a few days ago and have since clipped all my british and allied minor counters in around 1.5 hours. couple of points about the device:

1. with decent technique it saves huge amounts of time.
    2. it gives a good consistent look to your clipped counters - something that's hard to achieve with nail clips
    3. i see it more of a device to help you clip counters rather than a device that does the job for you (bit like a Gaggia coffee maker is to espressos!)
    4. it's quite small and fiddly but you get used to it.
    5. it will probably wear out at some point and need replacing but hopefully not for a long time (your blade makes a groove at the bottom of the base that will inevitably get bigger)

it cost me $18 + $5 shipping to scotland. pretty expensive for such a simple device but i don't grudge a penny of it for the time it's saving me. joe steadman did a youtube review on the device that almost stopped me ordering it. with perspective i think that review was pretty lazy and misinformed. so if you suffer from OCD and need to clip your counters like me definitely give it a try

Users Flag!

Re: c4 corner cutter impressions

I've had one for the last 18 months or so.

I agree it's super useful; recently, for instance, I clipped all of my British 1/2 inch counters in a couple of hours.

And yes, the groove at the bottom does grow deeper. It's also important to change knife blade reasonably often to achieve a somewhat consistent clip.
    VASL ID: Eoin Corrigan

Users Flag!

the hardest part IMO was getting the correct 'chisel' blades. Had to mail order a supply.
    'I'm smelling a whole lot of 'if' coming off this plan"

-Jayne Cobb
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Users Flag!

BE CAREFUL!! I failed to notice that in addition to clipping the counter corners, I was also slowly shaving away at the "face" of the plastic "walls" which resulted (over time) in bigger and bigger corner clips. Examine your jig regularly and when you can see the gouge forming in the face, toss it and get another one. Sadly for me, I have some over-clipped SK counters that I'd hoped to update my standard set with.

I agree that it does save time and when new offers a superior clipped edge over using nail clippers.

As to blade sourcing, try an art-supply house - that's typically where you'll find them.

-N
    "You guys are all looking for way too much from your games. You have to figure they'll break your heart. If they only stomp on your nuts you're ahead of the game." -Dan Dolan
    Put yourself on the ASL Players Map and find face-to-face opponents!

Users Flag!

What a way to ruin a perfectly good counter! IMHO ;-) always makes me wonder if they came clipped would you guys become straighteners instead of clippers?
    Dice Tower and Map Holder maker

Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway149 View Post
    the hardest part IMO was getting the correct 'chisel' blades. Had to mail order a supply.
    I just went with a regular modelling knife, which seems to work fine. Is the chisel blade difficult to use?
    VASL ID: Eoin Corrigan

Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by olli View Post
    What a way to ruin a perfectly good counter! IMHO ;-) always makes me wonder if they came clipped would you guys become straighteners instead of clippers?
    I'm thinking of putting my ASL corner clippings on E-Bay. Somebody, somewhere, may be having second thoughts about all those missing corner 'tags'....

Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir_E View Post
    BE CAREFUL!! I failed to notice that in addition to clipping the counter corners, I was also slowly shaving away at the "face" of the plastic "walls" which resulted (over time) in bigger and bigger corner clips. Examine your jig regularly and when you can see the gouge forming in the face, toss it and get another one. Sadly for me, I have some over-clipped SK counters that I'd hoped to update my standard set with.

I agree that it does save time and when new offers a superior clipped edge over using nail clippers.

As to blade sourcing, try an art-supply house - that's typically where you'll find them.

-N
    This is what happened to my C4. I ike the idea but it wore out too fast in my opinion.

Users Flag!

This is why I don't clip counters, I hate carrying around the CX and labor status counters in real life with all that clipping
    “When the same man, or set of men, holds the sword and the purse, there is an end of liberty.”

–George Mason

Users Flag!

I got a corner cutter from Oregon Laminations. They have 2mm and 3mm versions. I got the 2mm and have used it for all of my counters, both 5/8" and 1/2". Most agree the 2mm is better for 1/2" but some prefer the more rounded 3mm for 5/8". It is expensive, $37.50 if I remember correctly, but I just finished almost my entire kit and it's still going strong. Much nicer look than the c4 in my opinion as they are rounded as opposed to concave. They can be found here

The 1st and 3rd items with the blue handles.

2mm

3mm

There is a huge thread at boardgamegeek about them. It's been a great purchase for me, I really love how the counters look now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast