Thread: A2 "Bofors Bashing" (or Grognard Bashing as it were)

351L Counterintelligence Ray Woloszyn's Avatar
    Users Flag!

A2 "Bofors Bashing" (or Grognard Bashing as it were)

I have not done an AAR for a long time so I am a bit out of practice and this is definitely old school with zero graphics. Played an oldie, "Bofors Bashing" [A2] from the first annual last night. I played Alan Freedman from Alamance who had actually play tested this scenario. No newbies here.

As the visiting team I would probably be attacking but did not know when I arrived I would be having to play the glider landing Germans in this scenario. Had I known that ROAR has this at 21 versus 8 in favor of the defending New Zealanders I probably would have routed away.

After a quick refresher on Glider rules I decided to assault the airfield with a conservative landing away from most danger with a three gliders on the NW and four on the SW plateau on board 11. The remaining five gliders landed in the SE on board 14. All units would have to march to the airfield.

Staying away from the Bofors proved fairly wise as one glider of the three on the NW plateau was shot out of the sky. All other landed safely in their designated ILH. Taking advantage of the misty conditions for the first three turns my units moved up unscathed and concentrated at building 14 S9. The weakened NW group played cat and mouse with the enemy on the plateau, too weak to advance on their own.

The NZ Bofors were in 14 F7, H4 and N7. After three turns I had killed one half squad with a mortar and Alan had his best leader due to boxcars on a MC. The dead half squad was key as one of my half squads got to the mortar, survived fire and managed to lay smoke in on the N7 Bofors and infantry.

My main group ran into wire along center woods line so the battle resolved around the N7 Bofors which I took out with a CC roll but was tied up with the accompanying infantry until the end of the game. My NW group pulled a forced march on the now somewhat weakened western flank and lunged at the F7 Bofors. This group of now mostly deployed squads rolled up two HOB's which included one hero. They took out the F7 Bofors on turn 5 at the same time the N7 Bofors fell. However, two half squads died in the same CC attack ending the threat on the last Bofors from that direction. Time was now running out. On Turn six I created a berserker and another fanatic squad but the H4 Bofors was well guarded from the front.

I had earlier maneuvered two half squads to the woods around board 14 I2 to attack H4 but Alan blasted one of them with the Bofors which remained trained on those units in that direction.

Last turn heroics on turn seven. Everybody attempts to move to H4 through a hail of bullets and blood as the frontal assault mostly collapses from of a line of NZ full squads. Alan starts to KIA everybody but the earlier rally brings back the half squad attack from the I2 woods and my move of two half squads succeed to move next to the Bofors unscathed. They are joined by the last two surviving Germans who (a leader and another (surprise!) half squad) made it through a residual rich environment. Alan saved his Bofors final sustained fire for one of the three half squads and a leader ready to jump in. No effect and a 3-1 flat CC destroys the crew and gun, the third such result which along with five HOB's in the last three turns proves I had the better plan Wow!
    “Slava Ukraini” - “Heroyam Slava!” [“Glory to Ukraine!" - "Glory to its heroes!”]

Users Flag!

Re: A2 "Bofors Bashing" (or Grognard Bashing as it were)

Did you try this scenario with the updated errata (As per FKaK), or was it the original A2. I too got waffle stompedin this one many years ago, but would like to try it again with the changes. If your AAR is for the updated version maybe my desire to replay this one has dropped a little.
    t.y. (Eagle 4ty)
    "People don't really care how much you know, unless they know how much you care" ...
    Theodore Roosevelt

351L Counterintelligence Ray Woloszyn's Avatar
    Users Flag!

Re: A2 "Bofors Bashing" (or Grognard Bashing as it were)

Wow, did not realize there were two versions but should have been clear from the A2 that we played the old one. I will have to check out the FKaC which I have yet to unpack. Thanks.
    “Slava Ukraini” - “Heroyam Slava!” [“Glory to Ukraine!" - "Glory to its heroes!”]