Thread: Russian Wargamer's Blog on a SK scenario

351L Counterintelligence Ray Woloszyn's Avatar
    Users Flag!

Russian Wargamer's Blog on a SK scenario

Thought this was cute. A beginning player in St. Petersburg. I trust Google can translate the page for you but I found the AAR to be interesting.

http://nordard.blogspot.com/
    “Slava Ukraini” - “Heroyam Slava!” [“Glory to Ukraine!" - "Glory to its heroes!”]

Chris: Managing Editor BattleSchool's Avatar
    Users Flag!

Re: Russian Wargamer's Blog on a SK scenario

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Woloszyn View Post
    Thought this was cute. A beginning player in St. Petersburg. I trust Google can translate the page for you but I found the AAR to be interesting.

http://nordard.blogspot.com/
    S46 Where Winter Lingers from ASLSK EP1

Added link to my blog list yesterday. Thanks Ray

Chris

Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by BattleSchool View Post

Added link to my blog list yesterday. Thanks Ray

Chris
    Have been of late trying to stay abreast of Russian board wargaming. A friend in St. Petersburg just bought a new Russian Kursk wargame for me. I can add it to my Eastern Front collection which includes the old SPI as well as the newer one from Eric Goldberg. Won't have it in my grubby hands until "Grenadier" in November.
    “Slava Ukraini” - “Heroyam Slava!” [“Glory to Ukraine!" - "Glory to its heroes!”]

Users Flag!

Have been of late trying to stay abreast of Russian board wargaming.
    Ray, do you know how many Russians are playing ASL/SK? It would be good to know how they see ASL from their (different) perspective.

Users Flag!

It is just getting started. There was supposed to be a deal between MMP and a Russian company for a Russian version of the SK but that fell through. I have seen about 16 or so avatars related to SK/ASL and now am following the couple of websites to get a perspective. If they get into it I would imagine in time we could see some interesting scenarios. I am surprised there has not been that much interest out of Poland given all the board wargaming there.

Forum Regular
    Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by BattleSchool View Post
    Fun scenario, my second favorite of the SK set I've played. Involves masses of Russian infantry over-running the Germans in a race to the map edge but with heavy snow slowing things down to a close finish. I won this through a quirk rule that allows for a squad to CX two turns in a row ie. 6MP/CX, break (loose CX marker), rally, 6MP/CX

Chris: Managing Editor BattleSchool's Avatar
    Users Flag!

It is just getting started. There was supposed to be a deal between MMP and a Russian company for a Russian version of the SK but that fell through. I have seen about 16 or so avatars related to SK/ASL and now am following the couple of websites to get a perspective. If they get into it I would imagine in time we could see some interesting scenarios. I am surprised there has not been that much interest out of Poland given all the board wargaming there.
    Russia
    I have been getting some regular traffic from Russia. It is hard to tell how much is ASL driven, but the majority is probably unrelated, or from non-native residents.

Russia ranks 10th overall at the moment for total page views, and 12th for "unique" visitors. If 10% of these visitors are engaged in the hobby, that would represent about 15 ASL/ASLSK players, which is close to your figure based on avatars alone. But I suspect that this number is too conservative. Along with Ukraine and Belarus, there is a lot of potential for growth.

Any bets on what would be the subject of the first scenario designed by a "Russian?"

Poland
    I thought that Poland had a budding ASL base. But then I do not have any stats to back that up. Poland ranks 16th in unique visitors, ahead of Finland, which has a strong base of ASL players. (But then, the Czech Republic currently edges out Finland too.) My impression was that most of the major cities (Warsaw, Kraków, Łódź, Wrocław, etc.) had an "ASL cell," with a larger proportion of ASLSK to ASL players. With the exception of Łódź, I know of at least one ASL player in each of the largest cities above.

With a larger population than Canada, and a big interest in WW2, Poland would appear to be a good candidate for growth. Putting aside the language issue for the moment, the main things hindering growth are probably high import duties and lower disposal income.

How many Polish players are you aware of Ray?