Quote Originally Posted by jrv View Post
I'm going to guess that the first four chapters doesn't have a notion of a half-level hindrance, only of a hindrance and a half-level obstacle. The notion of a half-level hindrance seems to have arisen when units were spending a lot of time at half-levels, i.e. on hillocks.
Bingo!

It's been clear for a long time that none of the effects of allowing units to be on a half-level rooftop, and thus at a non-integer level, were considered in the writing of A-D.

Furthermore, there's no evidence from the Chapter F rules that when they were being written, anyone stopped to think about how they should relate to half-level rooftops.

Quote Originally Posted by SCK40 View Post
IN the original ASL system the notion of the hindrance level didn't matter. Basically if the LOS was "flat" (i.e., "same level") and passed through a hindrance hex, that hinder affected the LOS unless both units were higher than the hinder. If one unit or the other was at a different level so that the LOS was "tipped", the LOS looked over the hinder and it was not applicable to the LOS. Because units in the original ASL system were always at an integer-described level, the "height" of the hindrance didn't really matter, so long as it was less than "1".

With the additiion of deirs, hillocks, rooftops and slopes, units are no longer confined to integer-described levels so the "height" of the hindrance becomes important.
Again, bingo!

And yes, this is another clear example of the point of a 3rd Edition -- so at least we would know what the &*#$& it is we're asking for errata to!

John