Thread: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Spec Op Clergy ADMIN Scott Tortorice's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Like I wrote in my blog entry, Ghost Recon Online has proven to be a lot of fun. I hope GRFS turns out just as good. I even find myself looking forward to the live action movie:

http://www.gamesquad.com/video/tom-c...ailer-released

I hope it's not cheesy. Hollywood needs to learn that video games need to be treated with the same respect that is accorded to any other source material that inspires a movie.
    Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer!
    Latest Entry: Cliff Harris: The Infantilisation of Gaming

Blog Entries

Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tortorice View Post
    I hope it's not cheesy. Hollywood needs to learn that video games need to be treated with the same respect that is accorded to any other source material that inspires a movie.
    The two sentiments you're expressing here seem to contradict each other.
    6-28 | Sigh....
    My ASL Page

Blog Entries

I'm actually optimistic that Hollywood will eventually make VG-based movies that live up to the source material...but probably not for another decade or so. I see this as a generational issue. Right now the Baby Boomers who run Hollywood just don't "get" video games. At best they see it as kids stuff - little better than Pac Man or Space Invaders (hence, movies like Battleship ). They are completely oblivious to just what modern video gaming is all about (for more on this, check out this great WIRED article on the HALO movie fiasco: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/0...neration-xbox/). At worst - and I suspect this to be the case with a distinct minority - they truly fear video games as a competing medium, and are engaged in a 21st Century "blackface theatre" that is designed to both denigrate video games and trivialize them (I believe this is more common in television than in movies as TV is in a losing war with video games at the moment).

But this will change once Gen X works its way up the corporate ladder in Hollywood. We already have a number of video game friendly directors, now we just need video game friendly producers and studio execs. Once that is in place, I suspect we will see video games get the treatment they deserve.

Blog Entries

You seem to have missed my snark directed at how Hollywood treats just about any source material, such as novels and history. (Shall I remind you of Ironclad?)

Though, snark aside, Hollywood has shown that it can do well by both. The problem is that it can still be incredibly hit and miss. For every Lord of the Rings, there's a Starship Troopers, or I Robot. For all that Hellboy did well by the original comic, it took del Toro a decade of shopping the idea around to find a studio that would let him do it without insisting on twisting it into an unrecognizable shape.

Now, this actually goes straight to the heart of your comment. For all the thrashing around, Hollywood has shown it can respect the original material, and that only puts the lack of a good video-game related movie into stark relief. I will say some it is the fact that videogames that have stories worth doing a good movie translation of are still somewhat rare. Some of it is also been the game industry's willingness to be victimized (really, you'd think the first couple Uwe Boll movies would have been enough to warn everyone else to keep their IP away from him...).
    6-28 | Sigh....
    My ASL Page

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rindis View Post
    For all the thrashing around, Hollywood has shown it can respect the original material, and that only puts the lack of a good video-game related movie into stark relief. I will say some it is the fact that videogames that have stories worth doing a good movie translation of are still somewhat rare.
    That's a good point. A lot of video game plots are really just amalgamations of movie plots.

I've always thought the best way to do a video game movie is to avoid closely following the story as found in a game, but rather have a pro scriptwriter tell a different story set in the game's universe. Or perhaps borrow a lesser character from a game's story and base a new story on him.

However, what I always wanted to see was a video game movie based on the core experience of playing video games, rather than have a movie based on one particular game's story. For example, I think a movie about, say, a pro-Starcraft II player could be interesting. Gaming has developed a fascinating high tech culture of its own that remains unknown to an outside audience. I think it would make great fodder for a screenplay.

Blog Entries

The PC version is out:

http://www.gamesquad.com/news/ghost-...w-available-pc

This should be a "teachable moment" for Ubi. If they had released the PC version the same day as the console version, they would have already had my money. However, now that it is almost a month later, and the hype campaign has died down, I am in no rush to get the game. Rather, I'll probably wait for the game to go on sale later this year.

This is what happens when you treat the PC community like second-class citizens. But that is the great thing about the free market: I can spend my money elsewhere.

Blog Entries

Glad I sat on my wallet:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...t/#more-113821

When some players report that keyboard and mouse don’t work with their PC game, you know you’ve got a problem. And that’s only the beginning of a laundry list of issues leaving players feeling rather haunted by Tom Clancy’s Ghosts. While some players are reporting mostly functional experiences, others have found themselves plagued by unadjustable resolutions, framerate caps, chugging performance, crippling server connection problems, and show-stopping crashes. But, at the very least, Ubisoft is officially on the case.
    So you delay the PC port by a month...and still screw it up?