Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Black Day for the 116th

Re: Black Day for the 116th

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
    Onl;y, if we get to triple the OBs!
    Funny you should mention that. I was thinking about trying this scenario with a doubled OB *if* it was realistic. So I asked Don Pedros who designed it about the numbers of units involved. He said the OB given in this scenario is a very accurate portrayal of the actual numbers on the day. So what we are given here is as close to the real number of units involved as possible.

Hence I would hate to change the OB. In something like RB it is almost more realistic to have a greater numbers of units. Since the real battle was fought by battalions and regiments and not just companies. But if a scenario or CG reflects the real OB then I would hate to double it. Only if it is more realistic is the key.

It's just a game, but it's expressive of warfare.

Hoarding ASL items....... Kevin Kenneally's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ASRomafan View Post
    Here is the play-aid we have put together for this. It is sort of summarization of how all ther rules play out. It is still a work in progress so any input, thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Omaha West Play Aid

Deep Ocean (ocean hexes >=4 from Beach-Ocean hexes)

G13.46 A Watercraft entering an OCEAN hex from offboard is considered (for LOS and TH purposes only) to have expended four MP to enter that hex, thus in most cases negating TH Cases C1, C2, J1 and J2. In addition, a Gun on land may claim a 1/2" -1 Target Acquisition the first time it fires in the scenario, provided it uses the Vehicle Target Type to fire at a Watercraft

G13.441 (swamping possibility) is N/A (SR OW 1.43)

G13.445 applies: additional +1 TH DRM when fired upon/firing by ordinance or +1 DRM on IFT for non-ordinance fire.

G13.4221 a DD tank entering from a deep ocean location is considered waterproofed even if entering from an LC.

OW 1.47 Advance Phase drifting is to S.E (toward land and to the east) (note exception for Destroyers which drift east)

Wrecks and LC passenger/crew survival are N/A

Shallow Ocean – ocean hexes 2-3 hexes from Beach-Ocean hexes

Per SR OW 1.43 Heavy Surf rules G12.44-4423 are N/A

G12.21 (running aground) is N/A in heavy surf per the EXE in G12.21

Unloading costs are doubled in heavy surf

Any non-waterproofed Wading Vehicle that enters (or is unloaded) into a Shallow-Ocean location in heavy surf is immediately immobilized.

Infantry become CX and Fanatic immediately upon their entry into shallow Ocean, and C/X status cannot be removed until the unit is on land or aboard a Watercraft (or LC wreck), at which time it becomes eligible to lose its CX status in the normal manner. A Wading SMC may neither direct nor modify any type of attack. Wading Infantry are immune to PTC, LLMC, LLTC and booby-trap attacks, and are not subject to Pin/Heat-of-Battle results. Wading Infantry/Cavalry that suffer a break/Step-Reduction result for any reason always suffer a Casualty Reduction result instead.

G13.445 applies: additional +1 TH DRM when fired upon/firing by ordinance or +1 DRM for IFT for non-ordinance fire.

OW 1.47 Advance Phase drifting is to S.E (toward land and to the east) (note exception for Destroyers which drift east)

Shallow Ocean – ocean hexes 1 hex (adjacent) to Beach–Ocean hexes

G13.441 (swamping) applies: Any watercraft with target size smaller than -3 must take a swamping DR (note section for platoon movement).

G13.442-3 (beaching) applies

Unloading costs are doubled in heavy surf.

Any non-waterproofed Wading Vehicle that enters (or is unloaded) into a Shallow-Ocean location in heavy surf is immediately immobilized.

Infantry become Fanatic and CX immediately upon their entry into shallow Ocean during heavy surf conditions, and C/X status cannot be removed until the unit is on land or aboard a Watercraft (or LC wreck), at which time it becomes eligible to lose its CX status in the normal manner. A Wading SMC may neither direct nor modify any type of attack. Wading Infantry are immune to PTC, LLMC, LLTC and booby-trap attacks, and are not subject to Pin/Heat-of-Battle results. Wading Infantry/Cavalry that suffer a break/Step-Reduction result for any reason always suffer a Casualty Reduction result instead.

G13.445 applies: additional +1 TH DRM when fired upon/firing by ordinance or +1 DRM on IFT for non-ordinance fire.

Beach hexes

Infantry unloading from a LC into a Beach location becomes Fanatic, prior to Defensive First Fire vs it. Treat LLMC as LLTC, treat Heat of Battle "Berserk" and "Surrender" results as "Battle Hardening" results, and if subjected to a break/Step-Reduction result for any reason always suffer a Casualty Reduction result instead.

Soft Sand conditions only in Beach hexes containing Beach-Ocean hexsides. All other Beach hexes are hard sand

Soft sand:

MF/MP:
    Infantry, one MF + COT (usually Open Ground);
    fully-tracked vehicle, two MP +COT (note additional MP cost to enter Beach Obstacle location)

bog checks (normally 11 DR) as per normal sand hexes

Any ordnance [EXC: use of the Vehicle Target Type; a Direct Hit vs a Gun (C11.4); a Specific Collateral Attack], or OBA, attack vs an unarmored target in a soft sand hex has its FP halved (FRU) on the IFT after all other modifications.

Hard Sand:

MF/MP:
    Infantry, COT (usually Open Ground);
    fully-tracked vehicle, one MP +COT (note again additional MP cost to enter Beach Obstacle location)

bog checks (normally 12 DR) as per sand hexes with wet EC conditions

Beach Obstacles:

neither an obstacle nor a Hindrance, but its Location is considered non-Open Ground.

Not removed in Deep Ocean

Hinterland Areas

Brushfires and Smoke: note the large differences in level in the Les Moulins area. Especially from defenders on the bluff to lower level blazes and drifting smoke. Do not assume that drifting smoke is a LOS hindrance. LOS can often be traced over the blazes and smoke.

Is this in a pdf format?
    Kevin Kenneally
    Charter member of the "OFF Squad"
    Visiting your local Army Reserve & National Guard units to play ASL.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post
    Is this in a pdf format?
    Something like this?
    Omaha West Play Aid.pdf

Blog Entries

That one from early in the thread is not the most current version. There were some more tweaks and additions.

Hennie. I am a total loss when it comes to doing technical things like that.

I'm emailing you the latest version if you would like to put that in a PDF version for Kevin or others
    With a Les Paul you just wind up sounding like someone else. With the Strat I finally sound like me.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by ASRomafan View Post
    That one from early in the thread is not the most current version. There were some more tweaks and additions.

Hennie. I am a total loss when it comes to doing technical things like that.

I'm emailing you the latest version if you would like to put that in a PDF version for Kevin or others
    Here's version 2.
    Omaha West Ocean Play Aid.pdf

This AAR is a great read... Wondering how it ended up? or still in progress?
    --
    Brian

Noob Extraordinaire David Sullivan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bkemp01 View Post
    This AAR is a great read... Wondering how it ended up? or still in progress?
    Ditto. I've been out of ASL for a while and trying to get my feet back under me, but this AAR makes me want to tackle a beach landing with a few hundred squads. It looks like a lot of fun.
    “ASL is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
    - Richard P. Feynman, ASL, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment.

Blog Entries

Hi David, Brian (sorry I didn't see your earlier post Brian)

Obviously I didn't finish the AAR. I found trying to do the AAR for that far more exhausting than playing it I did try to do the game justice and that can take a lot out of you, especially since I don't spend a lot of time in front of a computer anyway. My son did concede once I accomplished the 3rd needed VC. By that time I think a bit of exhaustion had set in, and the desire to get into something new. He sounded a general retreat and called it a battle lol. We had a number of test plays before we did that game to get a firm grasp of the scenario and the rules so we had been playing it for some time. I think we were both ready to play something different. It is one of the best examples of the experience of playing being far more than the result of the playing. It was very well done.

David. It was a lot of fun. It was a real experience and a damn good design and well executed. It was time well spent. We did that rules guide to hopefully help spare people what we had to go through which was finding out how all the various little used Chapter G rules, thus amended by heavy surf interacted by the Omaha SSR. For a rules lawyer like myself lol that was as much fun as the game itself was. We learned a lot about those rules playing this.
    With a Les Paul you just wind up sounding like someone else. With the Strat I finally sound like me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4