Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: US rifle grenades

Blog Entries

Re: US rifle grenades

Quote Originally Posted by PaKfront View Post
    The Germans also had Rifle Grenades

The had a HE Rifle Grenade, a Anti tank Rifle Grenade, a Large Anti tank rifle grenade, 46mm Hollow charge rifle grenade, 61mm hollow charge rifle grenade, illuminating parachute rifle grenade, HEAT rifle grenade

indeed. I have a bit of a passion for evocative photos of ww2 soldiers, and one my favorites has a picture of a german soldier with a rifle grenade attachment. The look of strain and weariness on his face is haunting yet mesmerizing if you know what I mean.

With a Les Paul you just wind up sounding like someone else. With the Strat I finally sound like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ASRomafan View Post
    indeed. I have a bit of a passion for evocative photos of ww2 soldiers, and one my favorites has a picture of a german soldier with a rifle grenade attachment. The look of strain and weariness on his face is haunting yet mesmerizing if you know what I mean.

being as that is a GD shoulder symbol, do you mind if I steal this for a scenario card?
    'I'm smelling a whole lot of 'if' coming off this plan"

-Jayne Cobb
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nearly all armies had some form of rifle grenade. Indeed in the interwar period some armies platoons were organised with LMG squad(s), grenadier squad(s) and rifle squad(s). These were holdovers from the mid to late WW1 platoon organisations. The grenadier squad would have had rifles with grenade launcher attachments. By WW2 the platoons usually had 3-4 rifle squads each with a LMG. There were a couple of exceptions. The Italian platoon started with 2 LMG squads each with 2 LMG and 2 rifle squads (without LMG). The Japanese had 3 LMG squads (rifle squads by another name) each with a LMG and a grenade launcher squad with 3 of the 50 mm mortar/grenade launchers. I suppose the early USMC platoon with 3 rifle and a BAR squad should be considered a third.

RG were usually standard grenades sometimes fitted with a small base, put into a discharger cup and fired with blanks. Experience had shown that RG were short ranged and generally inaccurate until a lot of experience had been gained by the firer. Many armies introduced small mortars in the 40-51 mm range to replace or supplement RG. Some like the Italian and Japanese could fire the standard RG, themselves adapted hand grenades, most had their own special ammunition (the Japanese had both). The French and US 60 mm mortars resulted more from a smaller more portable version of the standard mortar in approach rather than the RG replacement of other armies.

The US did issue the M7 GL for the M1 in '43 though the sheer awkwardness of its use meant that the M1903 Springfield rifle was retained both for snipers and its more convenient use of its M1 GL. Of course before '43 there was no choice.

GL in effect are area weapons and though are supposed to have ranges in the 200 - 400 m range, the chance of hitting anything like a MG nest above 100 - 200 m would be very low except with a well trained user. WW2 HEAT rounds have penetration roughly equal to their diameter, non spun and/or later warhead doing slightly better. Eg the 150 mm diameter Panzerfaust, a late unspun design, penetrated about 200 mm of armour. The British No 68 RG only had 2" (50 mm) of penetration. Later WW2 RG would not do much better, 2" - 3" would be about it. In ASL terms the chances of hitting a moving target with a weapon having a high arcing trajectory would be very low beyond a single hex.

Standard infantry FP (doubled at 1 hex) should be sufficient to cover both RG and HG. CC against vehicles, though very rough and ready, should cover the inaccurate and weak AT RG. PF, PSK and Baz as direct fire weapons are in a different league. Overall, at ASL level, RG can be ignored as a separate weapon system.
    The more you know, the more you know how little you know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway149 View Post
    being as that is a GD shoulder symbol, do you mind if I steal this for a scenario card?

Oh definitely! I wish it were mine in my collection! lol. That is public domain I would assume, I had found it on the internet, it came from the German Archives. I'm not using it for anything ASL related if that is also what you meant.

I just thought it was great picture and wasn't totally off topic here.
    With a Les Paul you just wind up sounding like someone else. With the Strat I finally sound like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ASRomafan View Post

Probably just saw the latest prices for CH reprints.
    Psycho & Michelle's Home Page https://sites.google.com/site/psychomichelleshomepage/home

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
    Probably just saw the latest prices for CH reprints.
    Laughing so hard i choked on my iced tea.

I always considered Rifle grenades/hand grenades as part of the TPBF effect, since the range is so short.

Hoarding ASL items....... Kevin Kenneally's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can remember the big discussions about the "thrown 60mm" as in the movie "Saving Private Ryan".....

Can we now begin the traditional March Madness IFTvsIIFT......?
    Kevin Kenneally
    Charter member of the "OFF Squad"
    Visiting your local Army Reserve & National Guard units to play ASL.

Blog Entries

<intones>

IIFT breaks the ASL system. Unbalances the game. Favours the Germans.
    Regards,

Trev Edwards

Have you hugged your rulebook today?

Quote Originally Posted by trevpr1 View Post
    <intones>

IIFT breaks the ASL system. Unbalances the game. Favours the Germans.
    And Non-Elite Italians & Axis Minors, USMC BAR, Raider & Paramarine, 2nd line & conscript Japanese, Partisans, most Chinese, 2nd line & green USA, green Finns, 1st line SMG Soviets.

Now who have I forgotten? Oh, and a chunk of assault firers. Everyone else with an ATR. Come on people, help me out here!
    The more you know, the more you know how little you know.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast