Thread: Don't modify original files

Users Flag!

Don't modify original files

I've experienced this multiple times....
    When I change an original OOB it corrupts the original file and makes the scenario unplayable. Best to make duplicates of the OOB and scenario map and use them to make any changes or modifications. And the restore option on the CD doesn't do squat to restore corrupted files.
    Last edited by Deputy; 10 Mar 12 at 14:49.

HPS/JTS Forum Moderator MODERATOR Gary McClellan's Avatar
    Users Flag!

Re: Don't modify original files

This is always a good bit of advice for any file in John's game. Even the ones that are moddable, be absolutely sure that you save a copy of the original. Not only does it help in cases like the OP, but if you want to play PBEM, you need to have the same version of files.

In fact, the better way all around to do it is to not touch the original scenario or any of the associated files at all, but instead, if you want to make a modded scenario, make a copy (under a new name) of all the files you wish to change.

So, for instance, if you wanted to mod FirstScenario.scn, which used FirstScenario.oob and First Scenario.map and FirstScenario.pdt make a copy of all the files you want to mod under the new name FirstScenarioMod.scn (.oob .pdt .map), and then modify those files, leaving the originals intact.

I'm not familiar with the SB setup, but in most of John's games, you can change the .scn file's pointing towards .oob .pdt and .map files from within a text editor, so just go into your FirstScenarioMod.scn file and make the necessary changes.
    Scenario Designer
    HPS Midway

Users Flag!

I just looked in Modern War, and yeah, SB's setup works the same as the others.

So, open the .scn file in a text editor (I use UltraEdit, but NotePad works fine), and you'll notice a few lines down (in the scenario I'm looking at, it's lines 8,9,10) you'll see the .map .oob .pdt files named. Edit those to the name of the new file that you are modding, and you'll be good to go (of course, being sure that you save the .scn file under the new name, instead of the old).
    Scenario Designer
    HPS Midway

Users Flag!

I probably should have clarified I was referring to Red Victory. Also, making backup or copies of original files doesn't seem to work either. I made backup files of the Slutsk scenario in RV before modding it. When the Slutsk OOB became corrupted, I tried "dropping in" the original OOB. Didn't work. It was still corrupted.

Users Flag!

Hm, not sure what would cause that. Again though, that goes back to your original post, and my suggestion is that you only ever mod the spawned copies, and not the original files.
    Scenario Designer
    HPS Midway

Users Flag!

I wonder if modding the OOB also affects the executeable? That could account for the original files not beaing able to be used.

Users Flag!

I've never fiddled with SB scenario design, but it doesn't in any of the stuff I have used. I'm wondering if you didn't change something else along the way and forget about it. For instance, in alot of his games, the weapons parameters are buried in the .pdt file. If you changed that, it could create issues.
    Scenario Designer
    HPS Midway

Users Flag!

Nope, just OOB and then the Scenario Editor for placement. Never touched the pdt file. I've had to re-install a couple of times to fix things. Too bad the option to repair and restore the game to original condition doesn't work. It would make it a lot easier than doing a full re-install. I'll just make sure in the future to only change my duplicate, re-named files as you said.

HPS Games Forum Moderator MODERATOR rahamy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Changing the OOB corrupts the scenarios, so if you are making OOB changes you will then need to create a new scenario with the resulting OOB file.

Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by rahamy View Post
    Changing the OOB corrupts the scenarios, so if you are making OOB changes you will then need to create a new scenario with the resulting OOB file.
    Yep...I kinda figured that. Thanks for the verification.