Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Patch needed badly for AoR and Red Victory

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
    Users Flag!

Re: Patch needed badly for AoR and Red Victory

Actually anonymous guys that chuck out accusations, and never substantiate it actually are trolls. http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...rolls-graffiti

And the only way to substantiate things was dropping them the file (the mg thing) -but, of course, your choice.

-and you aren't into the game, duly noted.
    Last edited by trauth116; 22 Feb 12 at 16:33.

HPS Games Forum Moderator MODERATOR rahamy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Deputy - you take comments and run off with them don't you? The plain and simple fact is, when there are bugs, they are fixed. If they are show stoppers a quick fix is released, but there are none in RV, hence the lack of an update. With that said, some people have begun to have problems with graphics in this series & others, so when JT's plate clears a bit, hopefully in March, we will begin releasing updates for a variety of games, including the SB titles. Any updated files the scenario designers have submitted will be included - and Oz has sent me some stuff recently to be included with the RV one.

You will not find another game company more dedicated to supporting their software than JTS. Vietnam was released back when Win 98 was a popular desktop OS still, but now runs on Windows 7 - can't think of many other game companies that have done that - for free mind you. You may not be pleased with all the design decisions, and that is of course your prerogative, but to call something "vaporware" that clearly isn't is boarding on slanderous, in our small wargaming circles.

And yes, Squad Battles is an infantry focused game engine, always has been and always will be. Other elements are added in for support, but not as the primary focus. Again, you certainly don't have to like that, but it is a fact. If you win the lottery and want to finance coding changes please do feel free to contact us. :-)

Users Flag!

I heard this same story line from Rich....that AoR and Red Victory are based on "an infantry focused game engine". I find that comment to be laughable at the least, considering some of the largest tank battles ever fought took place on the Russian Front. If you wanted to do an "infantry-focused" game you should have concentrated on pre-WW1 events. If you didn't want to focus on tank combat, why did you include the HUGE number of armored vehicles that are available for use in both games???

There's no "running off" with any comments by me. But there certainly is a lot of CYA after the fact and backpedalling from people who refuse to see the obvious. I paid ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS for these two games, and with the glaring errors I immediately recognized in just a few hours playing them, I sure do feel like I bent over and took the whole 36 inches up my bung. And it's really a shame. I was all ready to buy the Eagle Strike game for another over-priced $50 samolies, but after seeing the bugs that weren't fixed in AoR and RV, no way I am going through this again. I can play Steel Panthers and get better representation of WW2 combat. Even Tiller's older East Front and West Front games are better than AoR and RV.

Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by rahamy View Post
    Deputy - you take comments and run off with them don't you? The plain and simple fact is, when there are bugs, they are fixed. If they are show stoppers a quick fix is released [...]
    Not to throw fuel on a fire but like reality, it is not all black and white. A serious spotting bug has been reported on the Vietnam module since the 14th of July 2010 and no patch/quick fix has been done since (http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=449240).

There are also problems on some scenarios due to the last updates. A fix has been found for all of them AFAIK however there is no central point that I know of where somebody can download those fixes. For example the pdt problem in P&F (same url as above) and the very recently reported problem on DBP (http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthre...te-napalm-quot).

It would be great to have a page on HPS with those available because this is where people will look first and not here.

Just my two cents on the follow-up issues.

Users Flag!

An update on my comments....good news and bad news. After my 6th re-install of AoR and Red Victory, the problem with missing machineguns seems to have disappeared. Evidently there is some kind of problem with the installer that affects whether machineguns are present or not. I now have all the machineguns on the vehicles that are supposed to have them. However, the 88s are still pretty weak against the T-34. And YES, I AM using AT ammo when shooting against vehicles. No real fix for this unless it is patched. It's kinda funny, but the same situation seems to exist in other sims. I suppose you could call it "national pride" or making sure the "right side" wins, but I have seen quite a few sims where the Allied forces are given a major advantage over the Axis powers. Things like short barrel T-34s or M4 Shermans blowing up Tigers with one frontal shot, or IL-76 planes that are almost indestructible come to mind. I sure miss the slider bar adjustment that was present in Tiller's East Front and West Front sims. That helped to correct the advantages given to the Allied sides to a great extent.

Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by turbidite View Post
    Not to throw fuel on a fire but like reality, it is not all black and white. A serious spotting bug has been reported on the Vietnam module since the 14th of July 2010 and no patch/quick fix has been done since (http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=449240).

There are also problems on some scenarios due to the last updates. A fix has been found for all of them AFAIK however there is no central point that I know of where somebody can download those fixes. For example the pdt problem in P&F (same url as above) and the very recently reported problem on DBP (http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthre...te-napalm-quot).

It would be great to have a page on HPS with those available because this is where people will look first and not here.

On the first link you provided I saw this comment:
    Reason I keep forgetting to mention the smoke is that I modded the weapons.dat file and have been paying with the modded file so long, I forgot about the problem. Thank heaven for JSGME! Chris P.

Does that mean that the weapons.dat files in the Vietnam game CAN be modded? AFAIK none of the weapons.dat files in Aor or RV can be modded. At least, that's what Rich told me in e-mail.

HPS Games Forum Moderator MODERATOR rahamy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by turbidite View Post

That's not a show-stopper - i.e. a crach bug that brings the game to a halt.

A new round of updates for the SB series as a whole is pending however.

The only "official" place to get fixes is in the updates that are released, and a page is maintained for that. All scenario designers submit updated files for inclusion, so they all get wrapped up in the next round. If they make it public to a few who report it that's a bonus service, and not one officially supported by HPS or JTS.

Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by rahamy View Post
    That's not a show-stopper - i.e. a crach bug that brings the game to a halt.

A new round of updates for the SB series as a whole is pending however.

The only "official" place to get fixes is in the updates that are released, and a page is maintained for that. All scenario designers submit updated files for inclusion, so they all get wrapped up in the next round. If they make it public to a few who report it that's a bonus service, and not one officially supported by HPS or JTS.
    So unless the game has a major problem, you are content to just let it ride with the other problems you have. That seems to be the attitude of many game companies nowadays. Pump out more releases in favor of fixing what is wrong with current ones. Your own words "Haven't had a chance to run it by JT yet, and it will be at least another month before you see any update on the HPS site, if not more. Lots going on behind the scenes that impact all of this - one being another title in the series being in development & so we have to coordinate things to make the whole process smooth."

The majority of updates for Squad Battles were released in 2009. And NONE were released for RV. Do you think that game represents perfection or are you just content to let existing problems remain? You now have both Red Victory and AoR Released. Why not make the dat files editable so that those that have shelled out the big $$$ for those games can at least correct the problems that exist with them? Like the German 88MMM spitball shooter.

Users Flag!

The problem with guns like the 88 becoming pretty much useless after awhile is due to the mechanic to represent ammo loss, unless that is changed the problem wont go away.

Deputy I have said that the games do get updated every couple of years as the whole series is done. I've also said I know games are being worked on so the series isn't dead. What I have said though is we wont get any Major changes to the game engine. This is something I disagree with with regards to JT's opinion (just look at the reception the announcement of CoH has had over at Matrix and on The Wargamer, there is a massive target audience out there that would either come back to the series or be new to the series if just a few major changes where made. Getting JT to see this is impossible though. I've read a fair amount of posts recently from people saying they bought an SB title or even more than one but wont buy anymore as there was something missing in them. That wouldn't be the case if ammo was monitored and we had multi level buildings and armour was redone. SB is so close yet so far. One final big push could turn it into the ultimate game.

Still I will be buying the WW1 game as the system will suit better. For Modern War I really don't think it works at all.

Users Flag!

Wodin: Well said. I would also be interested in a WW1 game, but I will let you be my beta tester. Tiller has gotten enough from me already.

I still want Eagles Strike, but after the unpleasant problems with RV and AoR, I am gunshy of dishing out another $50. The only real upside is I hear Eagles Strike allows modifying the dat files. So I could correct any inaccuracies that might exist as far as strength of the weapons. But the aforementioned goofy ammo loss situation makes the games ridiculous.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast