Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your Current Miniatures Project?

Re: What is your Current Miniatures Project?

Quote Originally Posted by prymus View Post
    Hey Ian, what do you mean the primer is a little grainy? I know where I live, and it could be the same for you, if it gets just a little to dry(the weather that is) my paint will go on a little rough, kind of grainy. So I have to wait for the humidity to be a little higher then all is right in paint land.
    LOL, I live on a little island surrounded by sea (England) and it rains rather a lot at this time a year so it ain't that!!!

Seariously, it's the primer, It is smooth(ish) but the Vallego is a lot smoother. It strikes me that the Army Painter may well be normal Car Primer rather than designed for figures. The Matt varnish is a little bit satin rather than flat matt. Some will like this, I personaly want it flat. I will use the tin but I think I will be spraying one coat in this then a 2nd coat in Vallejo which is in my mind superiour but costs about 15-20% more expensive.

Finished basing the figures yesterday, needed two lots of flock as I was not happy with the coverage of the first lot.

Ian
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since SL
    Visit my ASL blog at http://walladvantage.blogspot.com
    Or my general games blog at http://walladvantage2.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by custardpie View Post
    LOL, I live on a little island surrounded by sea (England) and it rains rather a lot at this time a year so it ain't that!!!

Seariously, it's the primer, It is smooth(ish) but the Vallego is a lot smoother. It strikes me that the Army Painter may well be normal Car Primer rather than designed for figures. The Matt varnish is a little bit satin rather than flat matt. Some will like this, I personaly want it flat. I will use the tin but I think I will be spraying one coat in this then a 2nd coat in Vallejo which is in my mind superiour but costs about 15-20% more expensive.

Finished basing the figures yesterday, needed two lots of flock as I was not happy with the coverage of the first lot.

Ian
    yes Ian lives on a little Island THE UNITED KINGDOM or Great Britian made up of WALES and SCOTLAND the island is NOT ENGLAND!! it amazes me how people get it SO WRONG
    Dice Tower and Map Holder maker

Quote Originally Posted by olli View Post
    yes Ian lives on a little Island THE UNITED KINGDOM or Great Britian made up of WALES and SCOTLAND the island is NOT ENGLAND!! it amazes me how people get it SO WRONG
    Olli, I just knew one of the guys would see that and correct me it was not a slip, just something that amuses me (rather easy to do)

As for England when I talk to the good folks aroung it, when asked where I live I say the Midlands, the part that holds the rest together, that gets up a few noses as well, just can't help myself

Quote Originally Posted by custardpie View Post
    Olli, I just knew one of the guys would see that and correct me it was not a slip, just something that amuses me (rather easy to do)

As for England when I talk to the good folks aroung it, when asked where I live I say the Midlands, the part that holds the rest together, that gets up a few noses as well, just can't help myself
    No problem , you are forgiven after all you live in France's northern territories as I keep on telling my mate over here who is from the east end? ;-)
    Dice Tower and Map Holder maker

Quote Originally Posted by olli View Post
    No problem , you are forgiven after all you live in France's northern territories as I keep on telling my mate over here who is from the east end? ;-)
    I really pi$$ed off some of the usual Englad football fans when I saw them kissing the three lions when blathering on about how good their team was. Why are you kissing a French symbol I asked all inocent. After the shouts of stupid etc. I smiled and said, last I heard Plantagenous was French. The looks of confusion was a joy LOL

I am still bared froma local pub for going in just after England was knocked out one year and shouted They think it's all over. It is now (the season THAT song was in the charts). I have no time for 90 minute Patriots

Hi Gang,
    Thought I'd update my current project.I have,for some time now,been doing 1809 Nappies and nearing completion of my project.I now only need the Italian Gaurd, the French Young Gaurd, and the French Old Gaurd Grenadiers and Chasseurs.I recently started having some minis painted for me to speed up the completion of my project.Some have been done by Tucson AZ painter John Price.Some by a painter on the East Coast,Timothy Richter,and some by DJD I think in Thailand.All were fairly quick turn arounds,and all were very affordable for what I got in the paint job.It's nice to see the project coming together.I have played a few skirmish type games and even a few of the smaller battles but now I'll be able to field the full TOE for Wagram.I will be posting some pics in my album on my personal page,give me a week or so to get them sorted out.Right now I'm in the midst of another project having nothing to do with minis.I have three pair of Cheyenne style moccassins in the works then a pair of quilled(procupine quills) armbands, and after that a quilled breastplate.This should keep me busy for a couple months,and my work table is also my game table.So I'll have to set up some terrain in between jobs and get some photos taken.
    On another minis front,I have been doing some work here and there on my 30mm Samurais from Kingsford Miniatures.I only have about 15 painted so far, but expanded my collection by adding a few custom built structures.I don't recall his name but a gentleman on Bartertown did them for me.They are outstanding,and very affordable.He gave me the option of finishing them myself or having him do it.I chose to paint them myself.Looking back on it I probably should have had him do it as I have so much lined up,but oh well,I will get to it! So now that I have steered this post back on subject,you darn UK guys ;-) ,Whats on your painting/gaming table?
    In honor of my Mother 1/16/36-1/3/13
    In honor of my Dad 7/12/33-10/15/13

You lend an agreeable sense of macabre to any dillusion

OOOhhh more shinny.

OK I have been busy. Just finishing off a 20mm Numidian Impetus army. Painted 60 odd foot in just 10 days.

Rebasing my old ECW army, 11 foote regiments waiting flocking already finished 6 regiments. four cav need flocking and lots more need taking off old bases and are the art and command stands.

Been painting up a lot of 15mm Ancients but still have 100's of figures to go as well as the 6mm Naps.

Talking of which I have 13 10mm Naps to paint as Aide De Camp for a guy up North. He has a project where if you paint figures for him he lets you play at his place (used to be the wargames holiday centre)

A very nice ASLer game me free a Late Roman Army in 15mm, so that will keep me going even longer.

Ian

Hey Ian,
    Sounds cool bud.I've always drooled over the photos of games held at the Wargames Holiday Center.Is it not called that any longer? I have purchased a couple recent gaming mags that were talking about a new WHC,in Greece I think though I could be wrong on that.
    UGH, rebasing is such a tedious undertaking, and I hate doing it.But it can be rewarding once it's finished.
    I've never had an interest in Ancients,but admire those that have the patience to paint up those armies.I have seen some really nice Ancient armies.
    I may have asked you this before but don't recall.What figures are you using for your 6mm Nappies.Also what era are you modelling.
    I like the 1809 era because the French,including Napoleon, were not quite as powerful as they are in the earlier conflicts, and the opposing powers,other than Britain,were changing their tactics to become more equal to the French.As for the UK forces,I have always seen them as as better than the French,although imo the French had generally better leadership than the UK forces.What is your opinion? I don't model the Penninsular period,though the theater holds a lot of potential for a Nappy gamer.I want to finish my Danube and Italy campaign forces first.Then I may think about doing Spain/Portugal.I purchased a few 10mm Nappy collections over the years and they have always included quantities of British forces.So over the years I have accumulated more than enough figures for a good sized army.The 1815 campaign does not really hold my interest,probably like blasphemy to a person from your part of the woods,eh.With that said I have gamed the Hougoumont area of the battlefield several times,and Plancenoit once.Add to that an almost annual playing of Clash of Arms excellent La Battaille de Quatre Bras.
    What rules set do you like for Nappy games? I've been looking at "The Marshals Baton" and so far like them.I have used Sam Mustafas Grand Armee, Le Petite Emeror which Sam did a small article on and ripped them apart from the spelling of the title on down the line.Thought it rather tacky of him since he was releasing his rules at about that time.My problem is that there were so many smaller engagements fought,plus my desire to game the larger battles,that it calls for 2 separate approaches in regard to the rules.Shako has the 2 levels of rules, but I have never really been a big fan and still can't figure out why.They would seem to mbe just what I'm looking for.
    So I have rambled on way to long,sorry about that.
    In honor of my Mother 1/16/36-1/3/13
    In honor of my Dad 7/12/33-10/15/13

You lend an agreeable sense of macabre to any dillusion

The guy who owned the WHC sold the figures, name etc. to someone else. The original was in the North of England, the new one is in the South. A good friend used to got to the old one and now goes to the new one. I am not sure what the make of figures they are, though they look detailed and clean cast. I will post pics once they are done. ADC as Hussar figures, I'm guessing I got the short straw.

Rebasing, they will look much better when done, I am also giving the figures a wash as well so they look better than they did when originally painted (nearly thirty years ago!!)

I like the Ancients, I have three of the six pike blocks all painted up nice, the Macedonian star looks stunning when ranked up like that. In the end I will have over 400 figures in all the pike blocks. I also have a large Persian army that needs just a few extra horse units and I could add a hundred or so more hoplites but may not.

Naps I like between 1809 and 1812 period. I have 2 Korp of Prussian and building a strong French force (our original French player moved!!!) all in 6mm. Originally all Irregular Mins but building up the French with Baccus.

Rules wise, since coming back we have only tried Polemus which are not all that good but have some good ideas. At the moment we are trying to write up a set but yet to be tested (hope to do in next few weeks). Another mate has the Volley and Bayonet rules and says they work but have not been to is to try.

Ian

Re: What is you Current Miniatures Project?

OK here is a few pics of my latest figures

Lots more pics on the wargaming blog (files to large to download here)

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast