Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Broken at GS: the vbulletin extension to limit "new post" searches

Users Flag!

Re: Broken at GS: the vbulletin extension to limit "new post" searches

I think this has been going on long enough.

I really hate the way that uneven and non-fitting (at least size-wise) communities are bought up, then being thrown together and then not taking care of making it readable again. wfhq was a perfectly fine thing and I didn't have to wade through 90% irrelevant content.

And don't tell me you'd like to expand the 10% if you make it so hard for them.
    Last edited by Redwolf; 06 Dec 11 at 11:20.

Chief Defender of the Faith ADMIN Dr Zaius's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

The forums are now running on the new server, so that shouldn't be the cause. I believe Brent is looking into this. I don't even know what kind of add-ons he has running or anything about them so I'll let him sort it.

On a related note, I may move the ASL forums to a dedicated forum of their own. They are large enough to stand on their own.
    "I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself." - Dr. Zaius

Users Flag!

The extension is clearly installed, it is present in the usercp. As pointed out earlier, it's just not plugged in the "new posts" mechanism.

Which might have to be renamed lusercp...

Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    I think this has been going on long enough.

I really hate the way that uneven and non-fitting (at least size-wise) communities are bought up, then being thrown together and then not taking care of making it readable again. wfhq was a perfectly find thing and I didn't have to wade through 90% irrelevant content.

And don't tell me you'd like to expand the 10% if you make it so hard for them.
    http://videogamegeek.com/ is expanding its database and features set; there is a subdomain devoted to wargaming on the boardgamegeek site that is very active. There is not yet enough interest in the videogamegeek site for a dedicated wargames subdomain, but they have expressed interest in doing so should enough interest appear there. The site has a lot of good features, including the ability to catalogue your collection, as well as dedicated forums for every single game ever released. If there is a game in your collection that you don't see in the database - simple - just add it to the db, and there will instantly be a forum (actually multiple forums, for general discussion, reviews, modding, strategy, news, etc. - for each and every game). It's well laid out, it just needs someone to populate it.

It's also well moderated, with sensible policies. The rep system is positive only - none of the problems associated with giving "negative" rep, and it's all done in public, so you can see who is "repping" who, and for which posts. There is an ignore feature, with the sensible proviso that users are banned from discussing it - mention that someone else is on your ignore list, and you're shown the door. The forums are about talking about games, not each other. And the policies are strongly enforced.

As it stands, there are a few wargamers already active in the VGG site but could always use more. Here's a link to the forums - http://videogamegeek.com/forums/region/3/video-game

Check out the configurable Quickbar at the top to save favorite locations within the site.

Here's the content I added on CM:C for an example:

http://boardgamegeek.com/videogameex...sion-campaigns

The site is custom built, not off the shelf. Look forward to seeing others there as I think it will have lots to offer as interest continues to build.

GameSquad Staff ADMIN CyberRanger's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

The filter is working again. Would you please confirm? Thanks!

Users Flag!

Works here. Thanks!

Would you mind saying what it was for future reference?

GameSquad Staff ADMIN CyberRanger's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Users Flag!

The plugin we use to achieve this relies on a parameter being added to the "new posts" url. That parameter somehow was missing.

Edit your 'navbar' template. Add: "&exclude={vb:raw bbuserinfo.excludeforumids}" to the end of all links which go to search.php, and which contain both "do=getnew" and "contenttype=vBForum_Post" in the URL.
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...6&postcount=88

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2