Thread: BGC Vol 1 - Holding the Line - Success on the Thin Red Line

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!

BGC Vol 1 - Holding the Line - Success on the Thin Red Line

This was my second play through of this scenario. On the first time round I made my defensive line too far back and did not provide enough opportunity for long range fire.

Here are the dispositions for a more forward defence. Basically, I looked at where the high ground was in the middle of the plain and arrayed my Challengers along the crests. I made a Kill Zone (KZ) with the Javelins, a Troop of Challengers and most of the minefields astride the one main axis of advance in the north, at Tilshead. I also put a minor blocking position astride the southern axis of advance at Chitterne. The Troop of Sabres provided flank observation in the far south (not on screenshot) and ended up taking out 2 of the Hinds (I think).

Defence 00.PNG

The lead Opfor T80 Bn tried the northern axis first only to be stopped dead in front of the KZ. My Warriors ended up getting destroyed for no really good reasons - poorly placed on my part and in two cases I tried to move Warriors to take out an enemy FOO in the north. Every time I moved I got sighted and KO'd. Lesson learned - be very careful with the Warriors!

Defence 04.PNG

The other T80 Bns tried the southern route and were decimated at long range by the Challengers posted along the series of ridges (everything was in defilade).

Defence 07.PNG

I finally decided to make use of my artillery (had some trouble figuring out how to get the fire missions working) and used it to take out an unidentified dismounted element in the south. I then used HE followed by DPICM to try and take out some T80s that were sitting in some dead ground in the north. Unfortunately my use of artillery would make Pat cry. The HE hit the tanks and got them moving - at which point they advanced into the minefields - managed to make it through them unscathed and took out a few of my infantry elements before being destroyed by Challengers. By the time the DPICM arrived on target the targets had already left. Lesson learned - get better at using artillery properly!

Defence 10.PNG

Still - I am quite pleased with the results. I was pretty much able to maintain my opening positions as the enemy played right into my plans. Just as well seeing as how just about anything I tried to move got spotted quickly and destroyed. I'll need to practice withdrawing elements without exposing them to enemy fire.

Defence 11.PNGDefence 12.PNG

Users Flag!

Re: BGC Vol 1 - Holding the Line - Success on the Thin Red Line

Nice win there.

Might have to add that one to my to purchase list.
    Tried one of the AFT ones but just could not get into the swing of things. Mentally died soon after the start. One of them concentration problems. Seems I am going to have a slower return to the game that I had hoped.

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!

I think you really need to be in the right frame of mind to play this game. Unlike many games, I find these games require detailed study of the map/terrain and a great deal of time in laying out your initial positions and formulating a plan for what to do if things go wrong. Almost half of the "game" time is spent in prep and planning, unless of course its a meeting engagement! That's one way it is very similar to real military ops.

Users Flag!

Quote Originally Posted by hueglin View Post
    I think you really need to be in the right frame of mind to play this game. Unlike many games, I find these games require detailed study of the map/terrain and a great deal of time in laying out your initial positions and formulating a plan for what to do if things go wrong. Almost half of the "game" time is spent in prep and planning, unless of course its a meeting engagement! That's one way it is very similar to real military ops.
    Hmm Catch my PM. You will see my comment in a different light.

What you are saying here is not the problem I am having.

Noob Recruit
    Users Flag!

hueglin, you are desperately needed elsewhere: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45039

How long time did pass, until the mission ended for you?

Noob Recruit
    Users Flag!

hueglin, did you have to go looking for som of the enemy tanks? Or were they all destroyed attacking phase line Thomas?

Forum Conscript
    Users Flag!

If I recall, in my game, which was quite a while ago, the T80s just kept coming until they stopped in front of my minefields. I think I had my assets deployed in a way that allowed the enemy to be spotted along all of the major axes of advance from quite a long distance.
    I can't remember the timeline of when everything was pretty much destroyed by.