Update on Manila?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking south across the (rebuilt) Jones Bridge over the Pasig River. Manila, the "Pearl of the Orient", featured remarkable architecture in its public buildings. That big thing there on the left? That's the Post Office.

View attachment 53681

Photo from John Tewell's Flickr collection

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Intramuros, the walled city within Manila, proved an especially tricky nut to crack, as the entrance gates were rather a tight squeeze for US armor.
At least all that 8" shell fire didn't rubble the arch.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
! ? ! ?

Of all mythical future stuff, this is the one I'm most excited for

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking south across the (rebuilt) Jones Bridge over the Pasig River. Manila, the "Pearl of the Orient", featured remarkable architecture in its public buildings. That big thing there on the left? That's the Post Office.

View attachment 53681

Photo from John Tewell's Flickr collection
Getting a Gamesquad error when I try to view these..............sigh.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those were posted before the great update. They are gone.
Let's fix that.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/johntewell/12921973503/

Intramuros, the walled city within Manila, proved an especially tricky nut to crack, as the entrance gates were rather a tight squeeze for US armor.
https://flic.kr/p/7avMFY

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A few special characteristics for those buildings. Some factory features over in Jai Lai land, I'm sure. It looks like you don't get over those walls without ladders or something blowing a hole in them either.
I ain't revealing NOTHING, Carl! :)

Interestingly, the walled city was surrounded by water during the Spanish occupation. According to WikiTravel, "A few years after the Americans took over from the Spanish in 1898, the fetid, swamp-like moat around Intramuros was drained and filled in. The newly reclaimed land was later covered with grass, spiced with a few sand pits and sprinkled with water traps. Result: an 18 hole, par 66, 4,326-yard greensward that wraps around the city's ancient walls and makes for an interesting (if rather short) golfing experience." I'm sure those Americans crossing that expanse of Open Ground in 1945 had a somewhat different experience.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I ain't revealing NOTHING, Carl! :)

Interestingly, the walled city was surrounded by water during the Spanish occupation. According to WikiTravel, "A few years after the Americans took over from the Spanish in 1898, the fetid, swamp-like moat around Intramuros was drained and filled in. The newly reclaimed land was later covered with grass, spiced with a few sand pits and sprinkled with water traps. Result: an 18 hole, par 66, 4,326-yard greensward that wraps around the city's ancient walls and makes for an interesting (if rather short) golfing experience." I'm sure those Americans crossing that expanse of Open Ground in 1945 had a somewhat different experience.
At least the sand traps muffle HE. There's that. Also, I am actually glad you are revealing nothing. We're not talking map here either, you well known exhibitionist.
All kidding aside, it is fun trying to figure out what goes into new maps. Working on trying to get one done for the SCW right now. Was able to get some pretty good info on the layout of the place, especially as its ruins are still as they were left, today. (I was going to say that the ruins were still standing, but that would be an oxymoron, now wouldn't it).

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Neat stuff.

Looking forward to seeing this on my game table.