View RSS Feed

Lunatic Republik

Is Microsoft winning the console war with Sony?

Rate this Entry
Has Microsoft won the console war with Sony? I don't think I would care to characterize it in that fashion, as the PS3 is still a strong console platform and a growing list of hit games. However, it's probably fair to say Microsoft is happy with the way things have turned out so far.

What is particularly impressive about Microsoft's overall console effort to date is the flexibility the company has shown in its design approach vs. the approach taken by Sony with the PS3. It needs to be pointed out that Microsoft is a software company by trade while Sony is a hardware company. One could reasonably infer that Microsoft should be better at creating stable development tools and good inferfaces, while Sony's should be better at creating more power hardware.

That may be true to some extent, however, the Xbox development tools have proven to be more intuitive and easier to properly harness. The PS3, while theoretically more powerful than the Xbox 360, has proven to be less powerful as it is far more difficult to play to its strengths. Instead of sporting superior games, most multi-platform games look and play better on the X360 vs. the "superior" PS3.

I think all of this points to a key advantage for Microsoft. The company's inside knowledge of future software standards and skill at creating development tools has outweighed any advantage Sony may have had at manufacturing more powerful hardware.

Long term, I would think the equation would tend to favor Microsoft's position. At this point, the Xbox 360 is the clear choice for serious adult gamers looking for a new game console. Younger gamers may prefer Nintendo's Wii, though, with it's solid lineup of family friendly games. Sony has simply failed to give adult gamers a compelling reason to choose the PS3 over the Xbox 360.

Submit "Is Microsoft winning the console war with Sony?" to Digg Submit "Is Microsoft winning the console war with Sony?" to del.icio.us Submit "Is Microsoft winning the console war with Sony?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Is Microsoft winning the console war with Sony?" to Google

Comments

Achievements are another advantage.