View RSS Feed

Real and Simulated Wars

1. Red Orchestra 2 - Mexican Standoff with the Involuntary Team Killer

by , 26 Dec 11 at 13:00 (Real and Simulated Wars)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SplashScreen.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	35093
    No matter how big the claim of being realistic, tactical or [put your favorite euphemism here], for the most part the multiplayer experience in mainstream first person shooters (FPS) is just a bar brawl with guns. Which is a pity in the case of Red Orchestra 2, because there is very solid stuff in it.

Prompted by a very positive review by Michael Peck at the Training and Simulation Journal, I installed my copy of Red Orchestra 2 and went right into the hell of urban combat.

Stalingrad, 1942 ... Here I come.

I joined ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Unity of Command - Review

by , 17 Dec 11 at 00:34 (Real and Simulated Wars)

Name:	Cover.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	34988

Let me paraphrase the opening paragraph of a professional game reviewer elsewhere. Before I got Unity of Command, I made the mistake of glancing at a few screen shots. They worried me. Those unit's busts instead of NATO icons, the barren interface lacking recognizable buttons for all things sacred in hardcore war gaming, the list of unit's stats shorter than my bank savings account deposit records. Oh no, it's going to be one of those games isn't it? One of those "spiritual successors" trying to bank on the genius of designers of great things ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Tigers Unleashed - Screenshots of HPS Sims' Latest WWII Tactical Simulation

by , 11 Dec 11 at 01:43 (Real and Simulated Wars)
    I've posted these screenshots at my other "Real and Simulated Wars" blog hosted by blogger and I thought of sharing them here.

Name:	Splash Screen.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	34910

The level of detail of this thing is astonishing. Re-learning the ropes (played PoA2 a long while ago) is going to take some serious time. I'm particularly interested in command, control and communications for the time being. Tigers Unleashed supposedly has some very serious stuff in there for me to explore.

Name:	Combat.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	275.9 KB 
ID:	34911

Name:	Scenarios.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	34912 ...

Updated 11 Dec 11 at 01:50 by Chelco

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Squad Battles Red Victory - Dragging Men Uphill

by , 27 Nov 11 at 12:45 (Real and Simulated Wars)
    Another 200 gallons of tough love from a Squad Battles' tutorial/boot camp scenario.

The game: Squad Battles Red Victory (WWII, tactical level, turn based)
    The scenario: Bootcamp 1, Assault on a Fortified Position. Training scenario. Topic: fire and maneuver, use of combat engineers.

Name:	Plan.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	260.3 KB 
ID:	34829
    Mission for today is to take a German fortified position (A) manned by a German infantry squad. Specific objectives (blue squares with a number 50) are two MG42 bunkers on a hill. I am commanding a company of Russian infantry (B). By the time of ...
  5. CMSF AAR: Counter-Recon, Part 3

by , 22 Jan 09 at 00:32 (Real and Simulated Wars)
    Lt. Hall looked at his subordinates trotting back to their vehicles, but his mind was busy with a more pressing issue than what his troopers were about to start. His preferred communications link with Troop A, the radio, has been on and off during the morning. As a result of that Troop A wasn't aware of the early morning tank breakdown or how worse 1st Platoon’s tardiness was going to be. And then, that tank icon in the FBCB2 screen he was hoping to be a glitch or somebody’s error.

“You got Alpha 6, Corporal?”, Hall asked his radio operator.
    “Sir, I have a Marine company ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChasingAwayDogs.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	345.3 KB 
ID:	29018   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShortEnemyFire.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	29019  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast