PDA

View Full Version : HPS's Squad Battles series

Ivan Rapkinov
19 Aug 04, 21:07
the Modern Campaigns discussions sparked my interest in who is playing these games.

I notice a few of the newer members have them in their profiles, and I'm a curious fellow :D

So who regularly plays these games (still) - I had a lot to do with most of them on a development side, so I'm interested in hearing which is peoples favourites/unfavouritist

:)

KG_Norad
19 Aug 04, 21:16
I have Tour of Duty. I like it but the combat system seems somewhat arbitrary and leaves me a little dry. Even if this is not so(under the hood) it just feels that way to me. I think steel panthers is more immersive. Also the scenarios do not appear to leave you with a lot of options because of the very limited movement that troops have.

The maps are very large but the evelations are hard to see. Sound effects aren't bad, also the it comes with a good amount of scenario's which is nice.

It seems to be a pretty solid game and I want to like it more then I actually do. I pretty much bought the title because no one else has done much with Vietnam. For WWII Tactical combat I will probably just stick with steel panthers and CM. For now any way...

Belisama
20 Aug 04, 06:42
Ivan, I love these games. I've got Vietnam and Korea and play them fairly often. Right now, I've got a game of each going with a guy, but he seems to have stopped sending his turns. :D I like to pretend that it's because I'm so good at them, that he's scared....

em

switch_back
20 Aug 04, 06:49
Welcome on board Belisama, perhaps you would like to post an AAR of that battle so we can see just how bad an ass whoppin you gave him?

Also to all of you I would like to know more about the sqaud battles series, could someone give me a run down on the game? also what sort of size are the battles is it a small number of units such as a platoon, or is it possible to have company and battalion level. But im guessing by the name it is platoon\squad level? excuse me for being thick :D

Im impressed with HPS Modern\Panzer Campaigns, so I wondered what this little lot is like ;)

Thanks guys\gals

Dazooz
20 Aug 04, 09:00
I'm also an avid fan! I play AOTR, ES, Korea, P&F and Vietnam. Wonderful tactical game. They are an infantry game I feel...vehicles are handled somewhat abstractly, but that's okay for what the game represents. Think of AFVs and helicopters as support and not the main fighting units and they are fine.

I like the fast and furious nature of the games...true some scenarios leave little room for maneuver (though there are many that allow for plenty) these games start fast and end fast and there is plenty of action in between!

Wodin
20 Aug 04, 10:46
Ive just started playing SB AoTR.

So far it seems very good. Ive downloaded all the new scenarios which really fills out this game.

Ibe played two scenarios so far and had a minor defeat and major defeat. Its a damn hard game but I know its due to bad tactics than a bad game. Im blasting away at the enemy without hardly doing any damage. Even when he is in open ground but crawling. I just cant sause much damage at the moment.

Im going to buy Korea next.

Wodin
20 Aug 04, 10:47
Ive just started playing SB AoTR.

So far it seems very good. Ive downloaded all the new scenarios which really fills out this game.

Ibe played two scenarios so far and had a minor defeat and major defeat. Its a damn hard game but I know its due to bad tactics than a bad game. Im blasting away at the enemy without hardly doing any damage. Even when he is in open ground but crawling. I just cant sause much damage at the moment.

Im going to buy Korea next.

One last thing why the bother with 3d I'll never know. The great thing is it looks fantastic in 2d with all the new icon mods etc.

Belisama
20 Aug 04, 20:16
perhaps you would like to post an AAR of that battle so we can see just how bad an ass whoppin you gave him? LOL. Uh, no. Like I said, I'm just pretending! :)

Think of AFVs and helicopters as support and not the main fighting units and they are fine. I agree, but aren't they, helicopters at least, always considered support units? Forgive my ignorance of the modern military.

I like the fast and furious nature of the games...true some scenarios leave little room for maneuver (though there are many that allow for plenty) these games start fast and end fast and there is plenty of action in between! That's what I like the most, as well. There's never really any down time. :)

Ok, forgive me for being so thick, but what are "AOTR", "ES", & "P&F"?

em

Dazooz
20 Aug 04, 22:33
Sorry! AOTR = Advance of the Reich, ES = Eagles Strike, and P&F = The Proud & the Few, all other games in the series! ;)

Belisama
21 Aug 04, 12:47
Thank you! The Proud & The Few I've heard of, and it's on my list to buy. What are the other two? Well, AoTR, I can figure out :) but what's Eagles Strike?

Of course, I could just go to HPS site and look for myself.... but where's the fun in that?

em

Dazooz
21 Aug 04, 15:05
Eagles Strike covers the fighting by the Americans from D-Day through the Bulge and the end of the war in Europe.

AOTR covers the beginning of Barbarossa until December of 1942.

_Ghibli
21 Aug 04, 15:30
I own Eagle's Strike, Advance of the Reich, and Tour of Duty.

I've played several scenarios solo from ES and TD.

A few of the scenarios were good, and more left me cold. Part of my reaction was described exactly by NORAD (2nd post). BUT, I want to emphasize my playing time has been very limited.

I have the feeling that playing a human opponent in the right scenarios would be good fun, but I don't have the time right now to get involved in them right now.

_Ghibli

P.S. Btw, info on the Squad Battle series is at:

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/products.html#squad%20battles

Ivan Rapkinov
21 Aug 04, 18:54
I worked on SB's: Tour of Duty, Proud and Few, Eagle's Strike, Korea and to a lesser extent Vietnam as a scn designer, tester, development guy, helldesk guy, and in ToD, aussie campaign designer.

so if you have any questions about any of those ones, I can help...after that, I'm less than helpful...

one thing I do know about he series is the combat system - it's been a while, but if you have any questions on why something does what, I'll be glad to help :)

or even if you want to make your own mods, I have the code for weapons, vehicles and gawd knows what else... :D

Wodin
21 Aug 04, 20:23
I also am finding the game a little cold. This is something I asked about and was told it wasnt and was very immersive.

There is a great game there but something somewhere is missing.

I might buy Korea as it has a campaign mode which might bring some life into the game.

But I will buy it second hand Im not paying full price for it.

Ivan Rapkinov
21 Aug 04, 20:40
campaign isn't as immersive as it sounds...

it's just a series of scns strung together, that end if the "character" dies. which results in games of "hide the officer..."

try some of the user made scns...John's scns tend be very dry most of the time anyhoo :)

Wodin
21 Aug 04, 22:07
Maybe a greater selection of weapons and support units like helicopters might jazz it up a little.

Also I though in the campaign game it would be mor elike keep your core force alive rather than one officer. Sounds a little disappointing to say the least.

Belisama
22 Aug 04, 21:31
I'm curious about something. I don't see a forum nor a ladder devoted to Squad Battles, and yet it seems like there's a lot of us that play it. Is it placed in another category, or is there actually not one?

em

switch_back
23 Aug 04, 04:30
Thats right there is no forum or ladder for Sqaud Battles, I dont think enough interest has been shown for it to be put on the site, might be worth a suggestion from a new member like yourself looking for conversation on that topic.

A few of us are campaigning for a Modern Campaign Series\Panzer Campaign Series forum, which would be quite cool. In essence however it may be easier just to have on HPS forum so the games can be discussed in one place. ;)

Belisama
23 Aug 04, 06:50
An HPS forum would be wonderful! Good idea.

em

Wodin
30 Aug 04, 18:19
I take back my negativity with SB AOTR.

I love this game. Im also going to be very controversial. I have played CMBO and CMBB to its death and Im finding a far more enjoyable game in SB AoTR than in the CM games.

The game is one of those beauties that is easy to learn yet hard to master. The 2d graphics to be honest I prefer over the CM series. They have a great character about them. Though I'd love to mod it to show real photos of vehicles/weapons/soldiers. With the sound mods the atmosphere is superb. Also with its 80 scenarios (with user made ones added, and many are ASL convertions) it has something for everyone. The game plays fast and furious. Im even thinking of trying to make my own scenarios which Ive never felt like doing before. Though Ive never played ASL (no one to play agianst) I have read a bit about Red Barricades and feel the SB system could cope with this scenario. Also there is an opportunity to create a huge Stalingrad battle taking in the whole of the City. A scenrio like this if made right would entice many more to this game Im sure. It can be done too.