PDA

View Full Version : SB: Vietnam Tourney signups

Mike Cox
10 Mar 09, 00:08
With the Winter War Tourney running long (get those files turned around!) we still need to take care of sign ups for the Modern tourney.

Kick off will be in 2 weeks: March 23.

The goal is to not be running a tourney in summer, so it will be a short one - 2 rounds. The scenarios are Song Chang 1 and Song Chang 2. 12 turns and 18 turns respectively.

Please sign up below.

Lucas Kling
Tallin
Joao Lima
Jhdeerslayer
Atle
Reapagan
FastPhil
sergeant610
TheBigRedOne
Mike Cox

Still room for more!

Lucas Kling
10 Mar 09, 04:27
Sign me up thanks!

tallin
10 Mar 09, 09:07
I'll participate, but I will be without internet access fom 3/20 until 3/30. After that time I'm good for at least a turn a day.

Thanks!

Joao Lima
10 Mar 09, 10:19
I'm in. ....

Jhdeerslayer
10 Mar 09, 13:18
I'm in........

Atle
10 Mar 09, 15:46
I am ready for a fight..... :smoke:

Landser34
10 Mar 09, 16:31
Dont have it so I'll pass on this one

reapagan
10 Mar 09, 19:47
I'll go for it.

Mike

FastPhil
10 Mar 09, 22:29
I'm im please.

sergeant610
10 Mar 09, 23:43
Please include me.

Thanks

sergeant610
10 Mar 09, 23:50
Please include me if you have room.

Thanks

Jeff

z1812
16 Mar 09, 16:03
Hi All,

As I expect to be quite busy for the next 6 weeks I will miss this one. I hope everyone has fun.

Regards John

TheBigRedOne
24 Mar 09, 15:08
Why not. Count me in if there's an even number.

Dazooz
27 Mar 09, 09:53
I would like to play (even though I'm still trying to finish up my WW games)!

Mike Cox
31 Mar 09, 12:26
Match up email sent:

Dazooz v sergeant610
Joao Lima v Jhdeerslayer
TheBigRedOne v tallin
FastPhil v Atle
Reapagan v Lucas Kling

Jhdeerslayer
01 Apr 09, 10:41
Joao and me started.

TheBigRedOne
07 Apr 09, 13:51
Everybody Song Chang tonight.

Kevin and I are finally underway. Two turns in.

Lucas Kling
08 Apr 09, 04:43
Could the tournament page please be updated, so that it doesn't say pending on this round. Thanks!

TheBigRedOne
08 Apr 09, 09:26
Could the tournament page please be updated, so that it doesn't say pending on this round. Thanks!

Yeah, doesn't show the matchups either, at least not in my view.

rahamy
08 Apr 09, 13:45
All done!!!

TheBigRedOne
08 Apr 09, 14:18
Thanks, Rich. Wasn't a complaint, really.

Any reason we aren't playing with the helo hovering rule? Make them too easy to bring down?

FastPhil
08 Apr 09, 14:33
Our matches are both started. I think Atle and I are both about ready as the
U.S. to call for "Broken Arrow" . Too many Viet Minh and no on-board Mortar, no off-board artillery, and no air support. what's up with that?:cry: :clown:

TheBigRedOne
08 Apr 09, 15:21
Our matches are both started. I think Atle and I are both about ready as the
U.S. to call for "Broken Arrow" . Too many Viet Minh and no on-board Mortar, no off-board artillery, and no air support. what's up with that?:cry: :clown:

The Cobras are on their way, but it might be too late for those poor bastards on that southern objective. They're facing an awful lot of men and firepower.

"If I get killed in the combat zone, box me up and ship me home...."

Lucas Kling
08 Apr 09, 16:51
Mail and file sent to my opponent.

Mike Cox
08 Apr 09, 20:57
Thanks for updating Rich.

Interesting - I thought the VM were due for an uphill fight in this one.

TheBigRedOne
09 Apr 09, 11:22
Thanks for updating Rich.

Interesting - I thought the VM were due for an uphill fight in this one.

There are three game reports on this scenario, one here and two over on the Blitz. All three are NVA minor wins. I don't think that the scenario is that easy for the NVA, per se, but I think the scoring is a bit slanted towards them.

That being said, I'll probably lose.

:)

Joao Lima
09 Apr 09, 14:19
... I don't think that the scenario is that easy for the NVA, per se, but I think the scoring is a bit slanted towards them.

Yep. I agree.

Mike Cox
09 Apr 09, 20:00
Regarding the next Tourney, I was having a go at the first scenario, Song Chang 1, and was just thinking that it was bloody difficult, if at all possible , for the VM to win. Then I noticed that there is a reported game saying it is 'strongly pro VM' , so I think I'm missing something here.

Was a message received when the scenario was announced

Mike Cox
09 Apr 09, 20:01
double post

Joao Lima
10 Apr 09, 07:30
Was a message received when the scenario was announced

I think the scenario is balanced in some odd Cthulhu-like way.

I think it's bloody difficult for the NVA to conquer all locations, but, on the other hand, they don't have to do it, given the victory scoring.

I think it rewards players that prepare their battles by playing the scenario beforehand and understanding what they need to do to win, and that are a bit lucky when playing the NVA...

As Alan said, I'll probably lose now... :laugh:

TheBigRedOne
10 Apr 09, 10:51
Joao is correct, there is no way on earth the NVA can get all the objectives in the time alloted. Too much ground to cover and just enough US firepower to prevent that.

The one thing I've learned over the past couple of years is that you don't have to take all the objectives to get a win, in fact some scenario designers throw extra ones in there as a sort of distraction to make the attacker think about a strategy before hand. I don't think you would have needed to play this scenario beforehand, although it would help. I think taking a Zen, Oz-like approach would work. I strive for that Ozgur Zone, but know I'll never attain it!

:D

These are probably all spoilers for the game, but its not like we're playing for money.....

Ozgur Budak
10 Apr 09, 11:02
The problem of small scenarios with few objectives and short time is their tendency to rely upon die rolls rather than intelligent tactical decisions. So I believe scenarios should have a larger objectives area to promote different tactical approaches. A design that leads both sides into a collision in one narrow point is more of a computer job rather than brain.

Mike Cox
10 Apr 09, 14:02
you don't have to take all the objectives to get a win, in fact some scenario designers throw extra ones in there as a sort of distraction to make the attacker think about a strategy before hand. I don't think you would have needed to play this scenario beforehand, although it would help.

There you have it. Rule 1 - look at the Victory conditions. Do you have to take all objectives? Most? What effect will casualties play? etc.

FastPhil
10 Apr 09, 15:34
That's the point. :D With the scoring the way it is, it is very hard for the U.S. to win. Then again there are times you can feel like an idiot. :clown: Like the time I didn't bother to read the scenario discription and missed the fact that the score didn't count-all that mattered was that you took so many of the objectives(all worth 1 point). Thanks to my opponent for pointing that out. :nuts: My SS troops sure died in droves after that-the Last Man Standing syndrome. :cry:

Paulinski
11 Apr 09, 23:03
Can I join the Tourney?

Jhdeerslayer
14 Apr 09, 18:05
Joao and I are done.

Lucas Kling
15 Apr 09, 11:35
Please update the tournament page so that me and my partner's mirror game, also is listed. Right now only one is. Thanks!

Joao Lima
15 Apr 09, 15:41
There you have it. Rule 1 - look at the Victory conditions. Do you have to take all objectives? Most? What effect will casualties play? etc.

Speaking of which, in my game with Jeff, and both as NVA, we attained the same number of objectives (2), he destroyed 2 helis , I destroyed only one.

The end result? 2 victories for him. :crosseye:

I think due to the casualties I took... :(

Mike Cox
15 Apr 09, 22:36
Paulinski - I'll keep you as an alternate for the next round.

Paulinski
17 Apr 09, 07:15
10-4......

TheBigRedOne
24 Apr 09, 17:07
Kevin and I are done. Photo finish on the last turn of the second game. His NVA forces overran two positions for the major on turn 12

TheBigRedOne
05 May 09, 09:24
Since I know Mike's been pretty busy as of late, I'll inquire:

One pair of games left. Where are Lucas and reapagan in terms of finishing?

Also, Phil (fastphil), you need to manually enter your point totals for the last pair of games. It's not done automatically.

Mike Cox
05 May 09, 15:52
Thanks Alan. Actually, I updated Phil's scores too while I was there.

Lucas Kling
18 May 09, 08:04
We are trying to finish our games asap.

Mike Cox
22 May 09, 13:08
I am out of town this weekend, but hopefully you will wrap these up ASAP so we can move to the next round.

TheBigRedOne
01 Jun 09, 15:40
Looks like the first round is complete.

sergeant610
01 Jun 09, 17:30
Gentlemen:

I believe that Mike is on a business trip right now and is expected back on Wednesday. We'll just have to wait a bit longer for the second round.

Jeff

Mike Cox
08 Jun 09, 18:37
Actually I came back for 24 hours before doing another quick trip to sunny So Cal.

Pairings are up on the tourney page and an email sent. Thanks for your patience.

If you can not participate in Round 2, let me know ASAP. I would love to see this round complete by the 4th of July and the start of the height of US holiday travels, so see what you can do to knock out a few turns.

Good luck!

TheBigRedOne
09 Jun 09, 09:33
Damn, Tallin and I have played each other twice in the same tourney!

tallin
09 Jun 09, 09:40
Damn, Tallin and I have played each other twice in the same tourney!

You should have done a better job beating me the first time around so you wouldn't be in this position:D

Good luck to you. I will need it!

Jhdeerslayer
09 Jun 09, 15:56
Files sent to Seargent!

Mike Cox
09 Jun 09, 20:43
And we're off!

Sorry TBRO & Tallin - that's the way it shook out...

Mike Cox
29 Jun 09, 19:03
Just checking in that all 2nd round games are running..... I think we are coming up on the halfway point on our game....

Jhdeerslayer
30 Jun 09, 15:17
Sarg and I are half way through. Neither of us quite seems to know the approach on this one! :-)

Joao Lima
30 Jun 09, 19:15
Sarg and I are half way through. Neither of us quite seems to know the approach on this one! :-)

I think I've cracked it. If you're the US just sit and do not move. :devious:
If you're the VM , just sit, despair , and do not move. :laugh:

TheBigRedOne
01 Jul 09, 10:00
I think I've cracked it. If you're the US just sit and do not move. :devious:
If you're the VM , just sit, despair , and do not move. :laugh:

I wound up having to hand over my slot to Mike for this round, but I did peek at the scenario and have to admit that from first glance, I had absolutely no idea how to go about things from either side. It's a huge, huge map, and I'm really not that smart, especially as of late in my game-play. I couldn't beat my 16 month old son right now, or so it feels.

:)

Joao's comment about the US isn't half wrong. If you sit in place and don't lose a chopper, you've pretty much got the major win locked up. It's almost too bad that there isn't the time/energy for the design team to go back and re-vamp the older titles' scenarios for balancing and playability.

Mike Cox
01 Jul 09, 14:26
Well you have to assume that the NVA troops from the south are going to do something. If you can get the hammer to fall at the right place, I think the NVA can do something.

Turns can be a bit limiting on this one though. The NVA will just be getting to it as will the western US forces. Another 6 turns would have been nice.

Jhdeerslayer
02 Jul 09, 13:27
Yea I was a fool and lost 3 copters.... Oh well having fun anyway but handed the game away!

Mike Cox
02 Jul 09, 19:31
I've lost 1 (2?), but still have a minor vic. I plan on a major however.

As the Viets, I have not been able to lay it on a heli, but I think I am going to get some objectives out of his hands...

Dazooz
03 Jul 09, 11:54
I have to admit, I went straight after the choppers, even lofting some mortar rounds on them while they were landed during my turn.

They are a tough unit to play well with, very powerful and fast on offense, but very fragile and expensive when lost on defense.

Jhdeerslayer
09 Oct 09, 10:53
Did this tourney die?

Lucas Kling
25 Oct 09, 16:51
Yeh what's the status?

Mike Cox
25 Oct 09, 17:25
Sorry I need to wrap it up and award points. My apologies.