PDA

View Full Version : AAR ASl-#5

FastPhil
01 Jan 09, 15:03
Originally posted by Phil Driscoll
[br][quote]SCenario Size: Medium\Estimated Playing Time: 1 Hour\2 Player Game?: Yes\\22 December 1944, Martelange, Belgium 1100 Hours\\Designers Notes:\*See special 2 Player Rules below. In the original scenario (and historically) the bridges were blown, but for a refreshing change of pace they are assumed in tact. Impassible hexes on stream hexes represent a cold water hazard (ASL rules) and the only crossable points are on the bridges themelves. If played solo, play as Yankees.\\Special Rules for 2 Player Game:\Germans may not place additional units in or retreat units from industrial hex 22,17\\Scenario Description:\The German 5th Fallschrimjagerdivision under General Ludwig Heilman drew the undesirable task of blocking the American 4th Armored Divisions' drive to relieve Bastogne. The first obstacle the Luftwaffe troops offered was the town of Martelange, it's bridges crossing the Sure River blown and access to the crossing points shielded by the terrain.\\Choosing a company from the 15th Regiment to defend Martelange, Heilman bolstered their defensive power with a detachment of Assault Guns from the 11. Stürmgeschutzebrigade. This German Airborne force was entrusted in stopping Brigadier General Herbert Earnest's Combat Command A, 4th Amored Division who had recieved his orders from General Patton to smash through the defenses and make haste to Bastogne. Wishing not to disappoint "Old Blood and Guts", Earnest intended to do exactly that.\\The attack began poorly for the G.I.'s as the terrain hindered a rapid advance towards the enemy. The situation worsened for CCA as the Fallschrimjager held their fire until the last possible second and began to inflict signifigant casualties on the attacking Americans.\\With US Armor unable to bring its guns to bare on troublesome defensive positions, the battle evolved into an infantry slugfest as the Americans started to suffer stiff casualties. Finally, as dusk began to fall, the Fallschrimjager withdrew northward to continue the fight in Warnach. The Americans, intent on catching their prey, erected a Bailey Bridge across the Sure and pursued the withdrawing Germans with conviction.\\Sources:\ASL Scenario ASLUG 22 Mark C. Nixon

This scenario pits men of No. 7 kompanie II Battalion FJRgt 15 of the 5th FJ Division supported by elements of 11 FJ Sturmgeschutze BGD against elements of Patton's 4th Armored Division.

My command must hold Martelange Belgium to prevent Patton's relief of Bastogne. Contrary to the high command's belief the bridges in Martelange are not blown. We must defend the two bridge sites to the death. The Fuhrer has ordered 'no retreat'. Bastogne must fall. Fortunately the stream is impassible except at the two bridges. The initial German positions:

Ozgur Budak
01 Jan 09, 16:54
One of my all time favourites. Can't wait to read.

FastPhil
01 Jan 09, 19:00
1105:

MG42's and 81mm Mortar begin firing on a column of troops moving along the street leading to the northern bridge. We appear to have pinned the lead of the column. A squad of 1st Zug took an American Halftrack mounting mutilple MGs under MG and PF fire with little effect. I think we will regret this missed opportunity. One of the Sturmgeschutze is moving into position to place direct fire on the northern bridge.

In the south small arms fire destroyed a Jeep as it approached the bridge.
We are saving our panzerschrecks for any tanks. So far we have no casualties. That won't last long.

FastPhil
02 Jan 09, 18:37

US move-We suffer our first loss to the HT in the north. Mortar and small arms fire on our positions are increasing but no further casualties. Enemy Panzers can been seen and heard moving into position. The Allies continue to advance towards the crossing points.

Axis move- We will continue our small arms and mortar fire along the road leading to the northern crossing in an attempt to pin down the enemies infantry. The two Sturmgeschutz will move to cover the crossing sites from ambush positions as their fields of fire are restricted. The Allies's losses mount. As usual small arms focus is on units with leaders. It appears at least one leader in the north is down.

FastPhil
04 Jan 09, 16:58
1115:

US- The Allies push their northern column with Sherman's leading across the northern bridge. They cover its movement with small arms and light mortar fire. In the south the Americans seem satisfied with holding their positions and engaging my forces with small arms.

GER- Small arms and mortar fire continue to thin his ranks but the Shermans seem impervious to my panzerfausts. My PAK opens up at the lead tank. The depressing 'klank' of my first shot reveals its failure to penetrate. Is this AFV a 'Tiger' in disguise? My second shot kills the lead tank. My heavy mortar continues to attack the northern attack force. I have kept my Panzerschrecks and Sturmgeschutzes in ambush positions. So far I have only one man down while his losses in men an vehicles continue to rise. Unfortunately he can probably better suffer these losses than I can but only so far.

FastPhil
05 Jan 09, 19:14

US Turn-his AFVs run the gauntlet of my troops on the northern crossing with no losses with the lead AFV attempting to overrun my lone PAK killing half the crew but failing to knock out the gun. In the south the armored infantry slowly move on the southern crossing but is hampered by lack of armor support.

Ger Turn- My PAK and STGIII fail to do any damage in the north but we were able to take out two Shermans with our PF. Lt Jost expended 3 PF taking out the lead Sherman. We are running low on PF. In the north, an engineer squad has arrived riding on a STGIII and they move towards the northern crossing.
Our losses have increased significantly but compensated somewhat for by the two dead Shermans.

FastPhil
07 Jan 09, 13:17

US Turn-Shermans push ahead on the northern route destroying a MG nest and overrunning a squad with no losses. Most of his armored infantry has fallen behind. We will see if he pays for this in the future. Fortuntely he did not try to overrun my PAK again. The main effort and focus appears to be on the northern route. In the south the few troops seem satisfied with trying to pin my units and prevent them from reinforcing the north.

Ger Turn-The first shot of my PAK kills the lead Sherman but fires harmlessly
against the rest. The Sturmgeschutze's fire immobilizes a second Sherman. Unfortunately it will be in full view for the immobilzed Sherman to fire on it.
The arriving STGIII and engineer squad move through the village to take up positions to take the stalled Sherman in the rear as does the remaining Panzerschreck team. A couple of the southern squads move to reinforce the northern position and contest the crossing with the lagging armored infantry. Heavy mortar fire still interdicts the crossing and has helped slow down the troops on foot eventhough it is unspotted.

What ever the outcome the Americans will have payed dearly for this crossing. Patton will not be happy.

FastPhil
09 Jan 09, 22:39

US Turn- The lone immobile Sherman in the north faces a dilemma. He has a STG III in front and a Panzerschrecke in his rear. He chose to fire at the STG and PF turned him into a Ronson. He might have been better off if before he fired the Sherman he had tried to eliminate one of the threats.
The PF was in the LOS of the Flak HT and other infantry and he might have been better bringing suppressive fire on them and then fire on the STG. However that would have prevented more of his troops from crossing. In the south his infantry move on the other crossing point. Little small arms fire but lots of movement.

German Turn-No other Shermans seem to be present but some half tracks
are still around.I bring suppressive fire and my hvy mortar fire on the infantry in the north. The reinforcing STG III and engineer move into position to bring more fire on the north. In the south we have few targets and hold our fire to conserve ammo. We may need it in the last rushes.

I think the Allies made a mistake by leading with their Shermans. They might have been better off by using their AFVs to provide covering fire to allow the infantry to cross and clear the buildings before committing their AFVs.

FastPhil
11 Jan 09, 10:51

US Turn-continues to push troops across the northern crossing-looks like he is aiming for the other objective. Lots of small fire and my casualties in north mount. In the south the Americans close that crossing point and bring some HT to cover the crossing.

GER Turn-In the north small arms , Mortar, PAK, and a single STGIII bring small arms and HE to bear on the ground units inflicting some casualties. Another STG III falls back in case the American units try to work their way to the second objective by avoiding the roads. In the south small arms, PF, and Panzerschrecke inflict more casualties and account for another HT. He appears to be making his push for the Southern crossing as well. He might in the end take his objectives but at this point he may have paid to high a price. Time will tell. Soon I hope my ammo is running low.

FastPhil
11 Jan 09, 14:09

US Turn-Mortars and small arms exchange fire my positions in the north but no further advance by US forces in the north. In the south the Americans still don't force a crossing of lower crossing but move more troops and halftracks into covering positions while others in place continue to fire.

Ger Turn- In the north I withdraw the panzerschrecke team as it is receiving a lot of fire but no targets are available. My engineer squad exhausts its FT and DCs but does a lot of damage to the adjacent US units. The rest of the squads add fuel to the fire.
In the south all my units bring fire down upon the area just before the crossing point and my heavy mortar shifts fire also as this seems to have
received reinforcement with his HT's massing to storm it. Fortunately small arms fire disabled one HT while my MG42 knocked out a HT carrying multiple MGs.

FastPhil
11 Jan 09, 19:55

US Turn- not much movement happening and all West of the crossings. Much of the turn is an exchange of small arms, MG, and MTR fire with no attempt to force the xouthern crossing.

Ger Turn-Little movement in the north; mostly exchanging fire. In the south the STGIII moves out of ambush position and opens fire on enemy HT on the other side of the crossing point. The battle is winding down. More casualties will happen but I feel the chance of an Allied victory has passed.

This is a hard battle for the Allies to win.

FastPhil
14 Jan 09, 20:33

US Turn- the Americans continue to exchange small arms and mortar fire
with little effect except to see their casualties figure climb. They make little attemp to move on any more objectives-the previous loss of their armored support makes it problematic.

Ger Turn- The Germans continue the exchange of small arms fire but move the southern STGIII to take the American HTs underfire with deadly results. The American attack is broken the remaining troops and vehicles withdraw by leapfrog using all cover to avoid further casualties. The Germans tired, cold, and hungry do not pursue. They are more intersted in starting a few fires for warmth and to heat up some ersatz Kaffee and open some tinned sausage for a late lunch-maybe even some soup if they are lucky. Content that this round has been a victory but with the knowledge that the next round will start soon. Patton will not accept this setback but will drive the attack with greater force. Hopefully the Allied JABOs will still be missing.

In my opinion this is a very hard scenario for the US to win. I have played it myself from both sides and also lost as the Armericans. That might have been an advantage for me as I learned atleast a little from my own mistakes as the US forces. I feel you must use your AFVs as mobile artillery and reduce or force the Germans to take cover at the crossings to avoid your fire. You must have infantry leading the way to clear the Germans. Too many PF and too many Panzerschreckes. If you followed the entire match you will have noticed that I did not expose my STG IIIS very much and left them in ambush positions. They are not heavily armored and can not fire outside their vehicle arc. These factors coupled with being out numbered atleast 2:1 led me to attempt to avoid the situation where he could gang up on them with 2-3 tanks to 1.

TheBigRedOne
15 Jan 09, 09:46
good stuff, Phil. Was this a PBEM or vs the AI?

FastPhil
15 Jan 09, 14:44
good stuff, Phil. Was this a PBEM or vs the AI?

This was PBEM against one of my regular opponents. We have been going through the entire scenario list of Eagle Strike and it was my turn to win won.:smoke:

Lucas Kling
18 Jan 09, 08:15
Yep, Phil won big time in this. Nice AAR report, and thanks for the game! Now on to the next one :).