PDA

View Full Version : Do you want an article on using the data editor?

jztemple
05 Dec 08, 15:11
Sorry to seem to be spamming, but this afternoon I was just fiddling around with the data editor in SCW, adding a version of the M1893 that uses rifle grenades, when it occurred to me that this might be the basis of a good tutorial article. However, I didn't want to spend a lot of time on it if people either already know enough on how to use the data editor or don't really have an interest in doing so. So I'm doing another poll.

jztemple
05 Dec 08, 16:16
nevermind, will put in separate thread.

mansito
05 Dec 08, 16:58
Jztemple, Thank you for your effort about SB games. Initially I was thinking that these games were simple , But now I begin to see its depth. Probably the best tactical system in market.

Someone was joking on about SB Starshiptroopers, and I say, why not??? its a game so flexible that it is possible and playable, for sure.

Mike Cox
05 Dec 08, 18:16
Just a word of caution - make back up copies of the files.

If you are playing PBEM with one set and your opponent has another, you are asking for trouble.

Also, if you change an 'official' name in a *.dat file, you might have unintended consequences.

It is a great tool for adding in obscure vehicles or weapons though. ('I just need the Marakov 1898 carbine. The 1905 inlcluded in the game does not cut it.')

jztemple
05 Dec 08, 19:17
Just a word of caution - make back up copies of the files.

If you are playing PBEM with one set and your opponent has another, you are asking for trouble.

Also, if you change an 'official' name in a *.dat file, you might have unintended consequences.

It is a great tool for adding in obscure vehicles or weapons though. ('I just need the Marakov 1898 carbine. The 1905 inlcluded in the game does not cut it.')

Mike, thanks for the heads up, I forgot to mention this in the video I just posted, I have now added this info to the post.