PDA

View Full Version : Assault questiion

cromlechi
02 Dec 08, 15:18
I have a question regarding assault. If I have a unit with a hand grenade in an adjacent hex to a pinned enemy unit. Am I better off:

(a) throwing the grenade then assaulting

(b) just assaulting with grenade in hand

Joao Lima
02 Dec 08, 16:19
I have a question regarding assault. If I have a unit with a hand grenade in an adjacent hex to a pinned enemy unit. Am I better off:

(a) throwing the grenade then assaulting

(b) just assaulting with grenade in hand

Throw, then assault.

rahamy
04 Dec 08, 13:39
Throw, then assault.

Ditto. :cool:

cromlechi
04 Dec 08, 14:44
Thanks both, obviously there is some mathematical reason for this, but even if you told me the formula I would probably not understand it. But at least I now know the correct option to take!

TheBigRedOne
04 Dec 08, 15:30
Thanks both, obviously there is some mathematical reason for this, but even if you told me the formula I would probably not understand it. But at least I now know the correct option to take!

I'm not sure it's that complicated. The grenade should impart some damage to the troops in the hex you'd like to assault, either thinning their numbers and/or disrupting/pinning/demoralizing them. I'm assuming that the grenade has no value in improving an assault result.

Just make sure you wait three seconds before assaulting!

:D

cromlechi
04 Dec 08, 15:38
I'm not sure it's that complicated. The grenade should impart some damage to the troops in the hex you'd like to assault, either thinning their numbers and/or disrupting/pinning/demoralizing them. I'm assuming that the grenade has no value in improving an assault result.

Just make sure you wait three seconds before assaulting!

:D

Well, I will certainly do that:smoke:. It does say in the manual that weapons have an assault value, which is the strength of the weapon times the assault value. I guess there is a way to check the the assault value of a grenade and compare this to the probability of it causing causalities by simply throwing it. Some people just seem to know these things so I thought I would take the lazy option and ask.

jztemple
04 Dec 08, 20:12
The Hand Grenade in SCW has an assault value of six, the same as the M1893 rifle. That would seem to indicate to me that it would be more useful to use it in an assault.

Ozgur Budak
05 Dec 08, 01:35
The Hand Grenade in SCW has an assault value of six, the same as the M1893 rifle. That would seem to indicate to me that it would be more useful to use it in an assault.

Could be. However you will get probably defeated if your enemy is undisrupted. close range weapons like grenades work well for disrupting or pinning enemy defenses. So in most of the situations using them for direct fire before assault is a better choice.

jztemple
05 Dec 08, 08:11
Could be. However you will get probably defeated if your enemy is undisrupted. close range weapons like grenades work well for disrupting or pinning enemy defenses. So in most of the situations using them for direct fire before assault is a better choice.

Ah, if someone is attempting to assault a non-disrupted unit, then they are in trouble anyway :). I was just noting that since grenades do have a non-zero assault value then it's worth expending them in an assault to increase the likelihood of winning the assault.

cromlechi
05 Dec 08, 08:36
Ah, if someone is attempting to assault a non-disrupted unit, then they are in trouble anyway :). I was just noting that since grenades do have a non-zero assault value then it's worth expending them in an assault to increase the likelihood of winning the assault.

This was what I wanted to know really, I did say in my original question against a 'pinned' unit. Perhaps the only way to know which is best for sure would be to run a test such as the ones you do on your site, perhaps one for the future?

Ozgur Budak
05 Dec 08, 08:53
Hard to provide an exhausting answer that fits all situations. Crucial questions:

- how strong the pinned enemy unit? if you believe that enemy unit is very weak it could be wise to assault without using grenades.
- the cover of the terrain. Does it give advantage to the defender? using high lethality weapons on good defensive position as direct fire is generally a better idea.
- will you have to use grenades further in the scenario? Keeping them could be wiser if you have to preserve grenades for reaching objectives behind the enemy line. Grenades arent spent in assault unless their carrier got killed.
- do you have an alternative assault squad that has no grenades? Then using that squad and saving the grenade for later engagements is wiser.
- Additionally, if the grenades have the assault value of rifles it is wiser to use them in direct fire as their lethality is way higher than their assault value.

jztemple
05 Dec 08, 09:30
- Additionally, if the grenades have the assault value of rifles it is wiser to use them in direct fire as their lethality is way higher than their assault value.

<smacks head> Of course! Like a dope I forgot to consider that aspect of direct fire. In SCW, the grenade lethality is 90, versus 7 for the 7mm MA load of the M1893 rifle. Ozgur is absolutely correct, for the best "bang for the buck", expending grenades in direct fire is much more effective than using them in assault.