PDA

View Full Version : Request SB game system enhancement to datafiles

jztemple
20 Nov 08, 15:03
After tinkering around with the data files using the editor, I find that it would be very useful if there was a field for each entry that allowed descriptions and comments. Some of the loads and weapons and a few of the vehicles are rather obscure in what they are intended to portray. It would be cool if there was another field that allowed text entry so that designers and modders could describe what that item represents. One could even include web links to online references.

Perhaps this could also be done for the OOB files, adding an optional comments field to each item. Or maybe just a single comment field for the complete file, although the former would be more flexible.

One more thing, congrats to everyone involved with the Squad Battles game system development, testing and production. A couple of years ago I was concerned that Squad Battles series had run it's course, but after three releases in what, eighteen months?, SB is alive and well. Also kudos for having a broad outlook and going outside of WW2 to cover such diverse and interesting periods.

TheBigRedOne
20 Nov 08, 16:40
Yeah, I thought the series was fading out as well a few years back. I figured I'd missed much of the 'glory days' of the series with Echo Four and Wild Bill as some of the excellent designers, but the Renaissance of SB is in full bloom. The last three games come from very unique conflicts, not your run-of-the-mill WWII game, which I'm sure many folks are chomping at the bit for. SAW and WW are excellent titles. I haven't really delved into SCW, still thinking about buying it. Might wait until after Christmas. IronX and his released Long War mod and his work in progress, Arab-Israeli mod have really put SB back on the map and have seen some increased interest, based on the ladders I frequent. Good SB times, that's for sure.

Bummer of the rebirth is that now I'm married with a child and one on the way. Much less time for gaming!

Rifleman95th
21 Nov 08, 14:59

One more thing, congrats to everyone involved with the Squad Battles game system development, testing and production. A couple of years ago I was concerned that Squad Battles series had run it's course, but after three releases in what, eighteen months?, SB is alive and well. Also kudos for having a broad outlook and going outside of WW2 to cover such diverse and interesting periods.

Couldn't agree more. SB is a great wee game.

We are very lucky that HPS/Tiller, Rich Hamilton and some talented scenario designers have given us a game that battles from Spain in the 30's through to Afghanistan in the 80's. Actually I suppose I should say 'continue to give'.

rahamy
22 Nov 08, 14:03
Glad you're enjoying yourselves...more is certainly on the way...market permitting. :cool: