PDA

View Full Version : WW - "Delaying Action at Krylänmäki" completed

jztemple
15 Jul 08, 18:58
A great scenario. Played as the Russians. I started off with one plan, changed horses mid-stream, had bogged tanks, pinned squads and smoke that landed everywhere but where I wanted it.

I was playing without the option to extend the game turn limit, so I certain I was going to lose as the end neared. Then a long shot flanking operation by one platoon payed off and one other objective fell which I was sure I would never get to was gotten to, thanks to a stack of two of my squads who, in a single turn, successfully assaulted three enemy hexes in a row! A bunch of Orders of Lenin for those lads! And then there was that desperation rush by a couple of tank crew "volunteers" who ran the gauntlet and exited.

Although the AI doesn't play as smart as a human, neither did I, so it was a fair fight. To end up with a Soviet Minor Victory I needed 30 points. At the end of the game I had.... 30 points :nuts:

Rifleman95th
16 Jul 08, 01:46
:) WW is a superb game.

I would really recommend this game to anybody that has so far held back. The scenario designers have really given us some great scenarios to play over. :)

jztemple
16 Jul 08, 08:48
One of the things I like about the game is that as the Russians you are facing mostly bolt action rifles, unlike other Squad Battles games where you are opposed by LMGs and sometimes assault rifles. So you get a chance to experiment with human wave attacks, moving upright across open terrain, something I'd never try in other games of the series.

Ozgur Budak
16 Jul 08, 14:02
One of the things I like about the game is that as the Russians you are facing mostly bolt action rifles, unlike other Squad Battles games where you are opposed by LMGs and sometimes assault rifles. So you get a chance to experiment with human wave attacks, moving upright across open terrain, something I'd never try in other games of the series.

They tried similar charges in battles such as Taipale and Summa and got slaughtered by the Finnish machineguns and artillery. Learned the hard way, Russian assault tactics evolved. Quick small unit raids, night actions and refined usage of armor replaced open charges during the fight of 1940.

jztemple
16 Jul 08, 16:45
I'm playing the battles in order and so far the Finns haven't had much in the way of defence. I'm sure that's going to change...;)

TheBigRedOne
17 Jul 08, 11:49
They tried similar charges in battles such as Taipale and Summa and got slaughtered by the Finnish machineguns and artillery. Learned the hard way, Russian assault tactics evolved. Quick small unit raids, night actions and refined usage of armor replaced open charges during the fight of 1940.

Even in Korea?