PDA

View Full Version : How Wire Clearing really works in SAW 1.01

jztemple
27 Jun 08, 12:15
OK, I seem to be on this streak of looking at game features. I was going to build a medium to big scenario that explored engineering activities, but first I just wanted to test out the various features in a standalone mode. So I built a simple scenario which is attached, and a screen shot which can be seen here (https://sites.google.com/site/jzs-place/squad-battles-field-test/wire-cutting):

Here is the result of my testing. The current rule reads
Wire Cutting
Some Clearing Weapons have no range and thus are not fired. Rather, when the unit carrying this weapon enters a hex containing Obstacles, then it can potentially clear those Obstacles on subsequent turns. The program automatically checks these units at the beginning of the player turn and if the unit is not Pinned or Demoralized, then there is a 10% chance that the Obstacle will be cleared for each Clearing Weapon of this type. For example, if the unit is carrying 5 of these Clearing Weapons, then there is 50% chance that the Obstacle will be cleared each turn the check is performed. Note that a unit can be Disrupted and still clear Obstacles

However, after my testing I believe it should read
Wire Cutting
Some Clearing Weapons have no range and thus are not fired. Rather, when the unit carrying this weapon enters a hex containing Obstacles, then it can be used to clear those Obstacles on the same or subsequent turns. Note that a unit can be Disrupted, Pinned or even Demoralized and still clear Obstacles The unit's morale or effectiveness has no effect on the Obstacle clearing efforts. The unit only requires a single Clearing Weapon and it will always clear the wire when attempted, no matter the effectiveness of the Clearing Weapon.

Weird!

TheBigRedOne
27 Jun 08, 14:01
Seriously. Less coffee.

:smoke:

jztemple
27 Jun 08, 14:07
Seriously. Less coffee.

:smoke:

Are you kidding? When there are barf bags in Hind helicopters to be tested? :D

Oddly enough, I don't drink coffee. However, I have been an engineer for over thirty years.

Dazooz
27 Jun 08, 15:10
A lot of interesting information here jz, keep it going.

TheBigRedOne
01 Jul 08, 08:12
A lot of interesting information here jz, keep it going.

I agree completely, this is great stuff. I'm sure that Rich and the design teams are also very interested in your experiments. Being a research scientist myself, I can truly appreciate your tenacity!

Mike Cox
01 Jul 08, 10:09
In regards to clearing, it is the weapon (or is it load - no manual handy) that determines the chance to clear. There have been comments in the test group that the reliability of clearing weapons should be reduced to make this more uncertain. (But it does not work as in the manual - so either the manual or the engine should change.)

rahamy
01 Jul 08, 16:46
JZ, please send me your findings in e-mail w/ attachments to Support at hpssims.com and we'll take a look at it.

jztemple
01 Jul 08, 17:14
Email has been sent. I've updated my wiring cutting test web page http://sites.google.com/site/jzs-place/squad-battles-field-test/wire-cutting to be more clear regarding effectiveness.