PDA

View Full Version : Trip Flares?

jztemple
27 Jun 08, 00:36
In my never ending quest for fiddling with the guts of SAW, I devised a test using trip flares. However, they don't seem to be working. Specifically, the enemy marched right over them without them being set off.

I even added Illumination points to the side with trip flares, thinking that might have something to do with it, but no luck. Any thoughts?

jztemple
27 Jun 08, 09:40
I built a simple test scenario for the trip flares, the map, OOB and scenario files can be downloaded from this page (http://sites.google.com/site/jzs-place/jzs-game-page). The page also has a screen shot of the editor build.

I played the scenario as the Russians, with the Mujahideen set to Automatic with FOW active. The visibility is two hexes. The result each time is that the Mujahideen unit pops up two hexes away from Russians, with no flares being set off or cleared. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

turbidite
27 Jun 08, 11:05
I built a simple test scenario for the trip flares, the map, OOB and scenario files can be downloaded from this page (http://sites.google.com/site/jzs-place/jzs-game-page). The page also has a screen shot of the editor build.

I played the scenario as the Russians, with the Mujahideen set to Automatic with FOW active. The visibility is two hexes. The result each time is that the Mujahideen unit pops up two hexes away from Russians, with no flares being set off or cleared. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

From the manual (page 43), the effect of flares is based on probability using the reliability of the device and his effectiveness. Are your flare at 100% effectiveness with a reliability of A which should guarantee detection all the time ? I haven't seen the weapons database for SAW but it is possible that the flare have a low reliability.

jztemple
27 Jun 08, 11:14
I checked and the trip flares are reliability of "A". And I moved my guy over and over all the flares and not a single one fired. And the flares are at 100% effectiveness. So I'm still stumped.

TheBigRedOne
27 Jun 08, 12:59
I checked and the trip flares are reliability of "A". And I moved my guy over and over all the flares and not a single one fired. And the flares are at 100% effectiveness. So I'm still stumped.

Someone needs less coffee!

:)

Maybe it's just because the Muj are so sneaky!

jztemple
01 Jul 08, 14:32
For the sake of consistency, I'll repeat here what Mike Cox posted in another thread:

The trip flare had an incorrect load and needed a small fix for a future patch. (L and T flags on the Trip Flare Load)

I made this change using the database editor and now trip flares work just as advertised in the manual. Cool!