PDA

View Full Version : Umm. I can't even beat the starting scenario in AoTR.

mgdpublic
25 Mar 08, 22:08
Is there an online guide or strategy article for this game. I can't even beat the
starting mission "Assault on Red October." I've played a bunch of war games before and am not a total noob but I don't know what I'm doing wrong in this. I smoke to advance, use my satchel charges, attempt to pin and then assault but I can't get all three objectives within the six turns. Most I can get is two. Little help? Thanks.

rahamy
25 Mar 08, 22:41
Is there an online guide or strategy article for this game. I can't even beat the
starting mission "Assault on Red October." I've played a bunch of war games before and am not a total noob but I don't know what I'm doing wrong in this. I smoke to advance, use my satchel charges, attempt to pin and then assault but I can't get all three objectives within the six turns. Most I can get is two. Little help? Thanks.

Welcome to the forums! Did you read the "Getting Started" help file that goes with that scenario? It covers a lot of the basics, but not necessarily how to win. Its been years since I played that, so I don't have any advice right off the bat...except don't be too worried about it. If you have the basics down, move on to another scenario and see how you do.

And don't be shy about getting a PBEM game going, as many players will be happy to give you pointers as you play, which can really help.

TheBigRedOne
25 Mar 08, 23:10

I don't think I ever beat the Starting scenario in Vietnam!

Dave68124
26 Mar 08, 00:24

Don't feel bad. If I recall, I had to play that scenario about 5 times before I actually won at it. Check out the following web site dedicated to Squad Battles. I believe there are few articles on tactics, etc.

http://www.wargamer.com/Hosted/SquadBattles/

One thing I did after playing about two years and not getting any better was re-read the manual about how the firing calculation works, etc. The biggest thing I found was firing all your weapons, even within range, was not always the best thing to do as you did not get the bang for your buck. For instance, a M-1 is good out to 8 hexes, but how the math works, it is usually advisable to use M-1's when you are within 4 hexes of your target.

Good luck

mgdpublic
26 Mar 08, 13:20
I read the "getting started" doc and the manual though it hasn't helped my w/l ratio much. One thing I don't remember seeing is what factors go in to determining whether a unit is pinned or not?
Is being targeted from multiple hexes a factor?

Dave68124
26 Mar 08, 16:22
I read the "getting started" doc and the manual though it hasn't helped my w/l ratio much. One thing I don't remember seeing is what factors go in to determining whether a unit is pinned or not?
Is being targeted from multiple hexes a factor?

I don't believe so. It is purely mathematically driven.

One suggestion is to find a couple of players to play via PBEM. Most players here will play and teach at the same time. A good way to learn the game and not get frustrated by it and it put it on a shelf.

Jhdeerslayer
11 Jun 08, 11:03
Posted wrong thread and can't seem to delete it. Sorry