PDA

View Full Version : demo availible?

tenebre
19 Nov 07, 08:03
I like some of the titles and wanted to DL a demo version or something...

I cant seem to find anything.

How is the AI on these titles? are they mainly for PBEM ? or is tjhe AI good enough to play solo regularly

Joao Lima
19 Nov 07, 08:42
Hi there, welcome aboard!

Your answers in order:

1) There is no demo available of these games.

2) The AI is very reasonable, the vast majority of the SB players play solo, so all the games take that onto account, and the stock versions of the scenarios provide you with a very good challenge and high entertainment value.

Having said that , you'll find a very active community, both here and at the 'Blitz' site, and so you won't be short of PBEM opponents if you decide to give it a go.

TheBigRedOne
19 Nov 07, 08:50
I highly recommend doing the PBEM thing. I started off SB by going solo, but found that the game is much more entertaining taking on human opponents. Guys here and the Blitz (many overlap) are a good bunch of folks that will help the new guys get their feet wet and move through the learning curve of the engine. It's been a real blast playing people from far away places like Turkey, Sweden, New Zealand as well as folks here in the states. Lots of fun.

rahamy
19 Nov 07, 19:27
Let us know if you have any other questions Jim!

tenebre
20 Nov 07, 09:34
well due to the shipping cost... i want to get more than one game.
I definately want SAW

what about Korea and Vietnam ? how are they?

rahamy
20 Nov 07, 09:42
Both are good, and have a different "feel" to them. I especially like the helicopters in Vietnam/Tour of Duty and the added depth they bring to the game.

I'm also a big fan of Eagles Strike & Advance of the Reich.

TheBigRedOne
20 Nov 07, 12:22
well due to the shipping cost... i want to get more than one game.
I definately want SAW

what about Korea and Vietnam ? how are they?

I think all the games are great, although I have to say that I haven't really delved into Advance of the Reich or the Pacific War games that much. SAW is the newest and has a much different 'feel' than the others. They all have different styles, but SAW really gives you a more asymmetric feel due to the nature of the conflict. I was very happy when this game came out.

I cut my teeth on Vietnam, so that's always going to have a place in my heart, that and it's one of my favorite points in history to explore. I like Korea a lot. The scenarios are well written, and there is a ton of extra scenarios out there to pick up for free. The game play is great for all of them. Pick a conflict that you enjoy and buy the game, I don't think you'll be disappointed, and you'll always have opponents to play for all of them if you wish.

Mike Cox
20 Nov 07, 17:00
My 2 cents is that the AI is probably better in later titles since the scripting flags (and the AI itself for playtesting) got better as the series matured. However the AI will probably never surprise you like a human would, though it can be nasty in a human wave assault or a tenacious, dug in defense.

I find PBEM far more satisfying.

Also, not to take away a direct sale from HPS, shop around the net and you should be able to find SB for about $30 + shipping. With a SAW tourney in the offing, you should definately put that in your cart.

Joao Lima
21 Nov 07, 16:52
I would say that with either Vietnam or Korea you cannot go wrong.

It's like it was said before, pick a conflict you have interest in , and you'll certainly be satisfied.